LIVE SPADES TOURNAMENT!!

LIVE SPADES TOURNAMENT!!

Postby xthemastersithx » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:46 pm

The Elite Spades Group would like to announce it's first annual live spades tournament on April 20th-23rd in Charlotte North Carolina! This event will be one of the largest spades tournaments ever put together! We're hosting seven different events with all 100% CASH PAYOUTS!! Over $5000 in cash prizes will be awarded that weekend. Will you be one of the winners? Get your favorite partner and join us for some fun and competitive games. For more details on the event please check out the website at http://www.elitespadesgroup.com

Happy Spading
Elite Spades Group
xthemastersithx

Postby Dust In The Wind » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:39 pm

Now there's one I might be able to attend

JUST DUST

TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!
Dust In The Wind
Guide

Postby spookers » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:27 pm

Yup,

A few years ago there was one in Richmond, Va.............WANTED to go 2 that but couldnt get off work (inventory).

Charlotte is pretty close and the timing may be right this time.

Lol, my license plate is 'spky 2f', honk.
spookers
Active Poster

Postby Dust In The Wind » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:47 pm

se me in a big black F-150Crew if I can make it and now the decission is if they are doing more than spades, do I play euchre, hearts or spades.

JUST DUST

TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!
Dust In The Wind
Guide

Postby HotPoker4MyEyePlease » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:57 pm

Dust In The Wind wrote:se me in a big black F-150Crew if I can make it and now the decission is if they are doing more than spades, do I play euchre, hearts or spades.

JUST DUST
FIBBER!!!!!!!!!!! I never EVER seen yer ogre butt in spades!!!!!!!!! :|
ImageImage

wardet el sa7arah
HotPoker4MyEyePlease
Grand Master

Postby Dust In The Wind » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:16 pm

You don't know me as Dust in spades

JUST DUST

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Postby ishy_48 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:21 am

HotPoker4MyEyePlease wrote:
Dust In The Wind wrote:se me in a big black F-150Crew if I can make it and now the decission is if they are doing more than spades, do I play euchre, hearts or spades.

JUST DUST
FIBBER!!!!!!!!!!! I never EVER seen yer ogre butt in spades!!!!!!!!! :|

I seen an ogre sneakin about once or twice... stole my cookies that grandmaS gave me.. I was left with crumbs!!!!

;)
Momma to a sweet baby girl who is 2 and about to be a big sister, baby #2 due on October 8th 2011 :)
ishy_48
Guide

re

Postby TrashCanCharlie » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:49 am

I've supported many live tournaments over the years, namely carding tournaments. Mostly bridge and I am sure they number in the thousands. Several things ring loud and clear in that world versus the live spades world. For one, strict guidelines exist in the methods used running one. Rules and regulations are fairly universal in nature.

The spades community is still in its infancy in regards to the live world and live tournaments. Presently no rules exist that require a pair to disclose special bidding and carding agreements. I doubt few even know what that means. Any pair can gain a huge advantage by using just a few tools at the table when the opposing pair is not privy to those conventional agreements. Do I happen to think it is cheating to use agreements the opps are not privy to? Yes I do. Would I use them until tourney hosts post a set of conventions that are legal to use and those that are not? Yes I will. Do I like it? NO!

I happen to think a convention card at the table is a must. That convention card should list the private understandings a pair possess and be at the disposal of the opposing side to view. That puts both pairs on even ground before and during the game regarding lead conventions, bid conventions and defensive carding agreements.

Now, will the spading community ever utilize this? Probably not! It is a bit over the heads of most and simply would be a nuisance to the majority of the players. This is why a proposed set of accepted conventional agreements, namely by some accredited spading org or group of minds, would aid in the existing tourneys. Hosts need a guideline. Some uniformity regarding the rules and penalties of infractions when they occur at the table.

As it stands each tourney hosts basically makes the penalties up as they see fit. They may post them prior to the tourney but nevertheless each tourney can have an entirely different set of procedural penalties for things like "bid out of turn" "exposed card" "revoke" etc, etc, etc.

After speaking with the elite spades group and even discussing these issues with the tourney host I feel these two players and hosts are going to run a class act. Each had the insight to pick my brain and make what I think are sensible ruling decisions. That in itself speaks volumes about the tourney you will see when you get to Charlotte.

It's a first as far as I am concerned and both of them should be commended for having the innovation to be asking the questions that they ask.

I am going to this tournament and I look forward to a "CLASS ACT" by these two newcomers to the world of live spades tournaments.

Regards,
TheCanMan
TrashCanCharlie
Active Poster

Conventions / Live Spades Tournaments

Postby Joe Andrews » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:40 pm

Excellent post, Trash Can! The subject of Conventions was addressed in one of my Spades Columns several years ago. The game of Spades is not quite at the same level of organization and number of "live" events, as is the game of Bridge. And I do not see this happening for many years. Someday, perhaps.....Yes, I concur that pairs who utilize Conventions have a strong advantage over pairs which do not use these applications.

Let's take the so called "Big 5" bid for example. The "Big 5", created by Roger Dinino and Herm Carney back in the mid 90's, is an agreement to use the bid of 5 in first or second seat to promise possession of the Ace and/or King of Spades, and 4 - 6 tricks. This can be very reassuring to your partner who is contemplating a Nil bid with the King or Queen of Spades (not both -LOL! ) in his hand, and no other vulnerable suits. A lot of players might be afraid to bid Nil with the K or Q singleton, K x x, Q x x, K x, or Q x of Spades, especially at the beginning of a game. (Note - the "x" is a spot card lower than the seven.) However, if the prospective Nil bidder's partner has promised the key high Spade in his/ her hand, the Nil bid in this situation becomes automatic.

Now the fur will fly, if the Nil bidder's Spade King is covered with partners Ace, or the Spade Queen is covered with the Ace or King. You might hear the cry of "Cheater", or how did you know he had the A of K of Spades for the cover? And, even if partner does not have Nil, it is always nice to know that his partner has a key high Spade! What to do? Should the "Big 5" bidder, pause and say -"Alert - I have the Ace or King of Spades in my hand, and I am encouraging partner to bid Nil (!!!!) Really now? That might be construed as Table Talk! And how about Nil Reverse signals, Rusinow leads, MUD, Suit preference signals, etc.? After all, those are private agreements. But what can we do about it? Any thoughts????
Last edited by Joe Andrews on Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joe Andrews
Active Poster

Postby spookers » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:00 pm

Conventions.....

Are beneficial....but NOT iron-clad. Yes, they can work in GIVEN situations but do NOT guarantee that the strategy intended WILL work.

Nothing can equal a Team that KNOWS how each other play. A 'new' team may form, agree on basic conventions, and wind up failing miserably to a team that has NO conventions but a several year history of parding.
spookers
Active Poster

re

Postby TrashCanCharlie » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:21 pm

Even a hammer is not a great tool if you don't know how to use it!!

Conventions are likewise.

Regards,
TheCanMan
TrashCanCharlie
Active Poster

Leveling The Field

Postby TrashCanCharlie » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:44 pm

The general host of the upcoming tourney in Charlotte N.C. called me and we discussed the Live Tourney he has scheduled soon. It appears that it will be something for all and quite well attended.

I've not visited spades tourneys but I have attended thousands of bridge tourneys and have a very good feel about them before I go now.

After speaking with the host of the upcoming Elite Spades Tourney in Charlotte I am convinced it will deliver quite a few things that spades players have missed in the past.

For some the lure of a cash prize is all they need while for others it is more of the social element of the game. Maybe that is due to the overwhelming middle players as I like to call them that simply are happy with the present state of the game they possess.

If however we face the facts, going to spades tournaments live is costly. I have to weigh the costs of attending with what I gain personally by going and what I am going for in the first place. Is money what drives me to go? Obviously not because I've not won that much money playing bridge all these years and going to at least 3000 tourneys in a 35 year period. So what then did drive me to go?

It sure was not the rating points the ACBL gives ya. Instead it was the "Love of Great Competition." Wanting to improve my game and be the best was all the spark I needed to go. Also, with what we face in todays gaming world caters to anti-social behavior. Live, one simply does not see the comments, gestures, rudeness that we are victims to in the offline world. People think long and hard before the mouth opens with some unjustified comment.

With everything considered offline offers a true test of ones learned skills from offline play. It is a "Real" chance to show off those skills in an environment with "Real" players and players that are subjected to exactly the same environment you are.

In our safe haven at home we can tune just about everything that surrounds us. That which we call "Noise" can be eliminated totally. Timed pressure as well as officiators rushing us are not in our homes. The ability to see and use "Table Presence" is also greatly enhanced.

While offline gaming sites offer us many advantages the disadvantages still exist in this world of exhilaration. For example, a man that has spent what it cost to attend a live event, paid his registration, paid his entry fee, might be a tad more conservative when bidding, nilling, and judgements in general. He has a cost associated investment in that event and not just a $29.99 lifetime membership to consider.

He is viewed live in quite a way that is also different than what the online experience provides. He should be there promoting goodwill and act as an ambassador to the game he is sitting in.

Once he is seen live and if he acts moronic in said live event, his actions will be carried right back into the gaming community via other attendees of that same event.

Just like everything else it isn't for everyone. However, if you have never attended a live event I would strongly suggest you do so. You might be pleasantly surprised at the subtle differences as well as the notable ones. Hospitality is one huge difference and nothing replaces the glow of a room full of card players all buzzing with excitement prior to the start of the event.

Please do this once even if it is the only time. Then make your decision regarding the live versus online gaming experience.

Regards,
TheCanMan
TrashCanCharlie
Active Poster

Postby Just_Ice » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:10 pm

I just remember the good old days playing cards around the table with family and friends. Then I remember the days when I was 9 - 12 and I would attend the Spades Tournaments with my dad on the local Navy base. Huge tournaments, but lots of smoke. I prefer playing live. But, it's hard to do now.

I had planned to help Joe host the Spades GP last year, but a work conflict came up. I much prefer live Spades. But, it's often costly and inconvenient. It would be nice to have a few local friends who enjoyed playing to just sit around and shuffle the cards with.
Just_Ice
Grand Master

re

Postby TrashCanCharlie » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:24 pm

"Yeah, Old Card Players Never Die, instead, They Just SHUFFLE AWAY."

TheCanMan
TrashCanCharlie
Active Poster

Postby Galt » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:30 pm

I just think that if you are charging people $200 to be able to play in the main event, and returning 100 of those dollars as prizes, you should not refer to your return as 100% cash payout. Taken to an extreme, if the registration was $1,000, talk of a 100% return would be ridiculous.

I have no problem with charging whatever you want to run an event, I just think that your posts are misleading.

The Spading community has a history of one bad deal after another, and I think that we should bend over backwards to make sure that there are no chances for misunderstanding.
Galt
Grand Master

Next

Return to Leagues and Tournies