Solitaire III not keeping statistics or high scores

Mac

Solitaire III not keeping statistics or high scores

Post by Mac » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:12 pm

Hi,

The subject says it all. I only have been playing Klondike, deal 3 cards. After I first installed and registered it, it seemed to be keeping stats and high scores. But after 80-something games, the statistics stayed at 12 games won, 69 games lost and 15% showing in the pie chart. Also, I would score a high game in the top 10, but it wouldn't stay there. The next time I got a score in the top ten, the previous one would disappear even though it should have been the top score, or in the top 10. I uninstalled the game, rebooted, deleted the Solitaire directory, ran a defrag, rebooted, and then reinstalled the game (didn't have to re-enter my name or key???). Now, it doesn't keep any statistics, nor do any scores show up in the High Scores window, even though the graphic at the end of the game shows 1st place score.

Help!

Thanks,
Mac

warpete

Re: Solitaire III not keeping statistics or high scores

Post by warpete » Thu May 15, 2008 6:26 am

I have the exact same problem and now, apparently another----197 people have read Mac's post, but NO ONE has replied!! Isn't this where we go for help? In my situation, I always play Josephine. My score was 392 wins vs. 92 loses for an 81% average. Everything was great and I shut down my system for the night as I always do. The next morning---coffee and Solitaire! I won the first game and Solitaire announced a new high score---NO WAY! It took forever to beat the first game and I knew I didn't have a high score. Sure enough, I looked at the stats and it read 1 win and 0 loses. What happened? I already have had the problem (many times) of not being about to migrate Solitaire to a new build--and now this! I'm a system's builder and I keep my only copy of Hardwood Solitaire on my personal system. When I build a new system, I start from a clean HDD and re-install everything, including Hardwood Solitaire. I have tried but have never been able to find where the "saved games" may be stored--like it is with most other games. If I knew, I could copy that file, and then Paste it into the Solitaire folder after re-installing Solitaire from scratch. I can do this with every game I know except Hardwood Solitaire. Now it gets even messier! I did what the first Poster did---I completely uninstalled Hardwood Solitaire. I then reinstalled. I ran the Patch and then set up enhanced mode with no problems other than the standard "OpenGL driver not up to date" (which it always is). All worked well except I STILL get no scores whatsoever. I don't know if it would keep statistics----there are no scores for statistics to work. At one point there were 7 people at seven different locations in a competition with me. The other six players all dropped out due to various Hardwood Solitaire problems. Two of these players had the exact same problem I am having but I never believed them. I thought they were trying to manipulate their scores (silly me)! Now I see that they were not. My computer system is one of the fastest (in the top 1% on PCPitstop). Everything works beautifully. I can (if I feel like it) restore my system from a full backup and Solitaire would probably keep statistics again, but what's the point if it's just going to do the same thing eventually? I am running windows XP Professional /SP2. I have not installed SP3 yet so I know that is not the problem. Everything else on my system works perfectly. When this problem occured, I had not installed anything new or made any changes to my system that may cause problems. Does anyone have any experience with this----or any suggestions? Anyone?
The last Poster wrote:
"The subject says it all. I only have been playing Klondike, deal 3 cards. After I first installed and registered it, it seemed to be keeping stats and high scores. But after 80-something games, the statistics stayed at 12 games won, 69 games lost and 15% showing in the pie chart. Also, I would score a high game in the top 10, but it wouldn't stay there. The next time I got a score in the top ten, the previous one would disappear even though it should have been the top score, or in the top 10. I uninstalled the game, rebooted, deleted the Solitaire directory, ran a defrag, rebooted, and then reinstalled the game (didn't have to re-enter my name or key???). Now, it doesn't keep any statistics, nor do any scores show up in the High Scores window, even though the graphic at the end of the game shows 1st place score".
Help!
Thanks,
Mac[/quote]
Mac wrote this and asked for help on January 08, 2008. Not a single person has offered help. I would think that someone from silverCreek would have SOME knowledge and be able to offer some sort of help---some way!

Gromph
Site Admin

Post by Gromph » Thu May 15, 2008 3:10 pm

I apologize for missing the earlier post. Scores and other data are stored in C:\Program Files\Hardwood Solitaire III\Data\ if you are running as a limited user they're stored in C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Silver Creek Entertainment\Hardwood Solitaire III\Data, where USERNAME is your windows username.

What type of user are you logged into windows as?

warpete

Post by warpete » Thu May 15, 2008 8:14 pm

Thank you for your reply!! On my personal system, which I always build myself, I am the administrator and only log in as such. I always turn off "fast user switching" and guest account. I'm really suspicious that a MS Patch may be the culprit. Just a few minutes ago, I started Hardwood Solitaire and it opened in a few seconds and worked very nicely. I played one game and won--then I deliberately lost two games in a row. My registered scores? 0 wins and 0 Loses. Thank you for the folder where the files are kept. I had found that before but have been unable to transfer my Data to any new system build. I may put solitaire in a "Games" only partition, and then clone that partition to an external HDD. Maybe when I upgrade my system ( for the umteenth time) I can just add that partition to my new system and be OK. I'll get it figured out somehow! Again, thank you for your reply. Please don't think I am angry with silvercreek--I am not. I realize these things happen and I'm just searching for a fix. Pete

Gromph
Site Admin

Post by Gromph » Fri May 16, 2008 9:59 am

I have the latest updates to WinXP sp2 and haven't been able to reproduce problems saving the stats. Check to see if the file C:\Program Files\Hardwood Solitaire III\Data\Solitaire III.db is being written to by looking at the date modified after playing a game then closing the game.

warpete

Post by warpete » Tue May 20, 2008 1:09 pm

Uh-Oh! I think I may know what the problem is and I will try to re-create it. I decided to completely uninstall Hardwood Solitaire III and re-install on a different partition. All went well and the game ran perfectly. It even kept my statistics. I had 9 wins and 0 loses playing Josephine and started my tenth game. I won that game also and went to check my Stats and---------0 wins and 0 loses. I read your post and decided to check that file----it does not exist. There is no file in the “Last Save” folder either. Somehow these file must have been deleted. The only thing I can think of is CCleaner. I updated that program to its latest version possibly before I started having this problem. The only way I’ll know is to uninstall Solitaire one more time and re-install. Then I’ll play a game or two, win or lose the games, and then check the folder for these files. If solitaire successfully did the statistics, then I will check the folder for these files which should be there. If so I will run CCleaner and see if that program has these files marked for deletion. I’ll be able to do this later on and post again.

warpete

Post by warpete » Wed May 21, 2008 9:25 pm

Well, I'm totally at a loss here. It's not CCleaner creating the problem. I have no idea what it could be. After re-installing Hardwood solitaire III for about the sixth time, it was working perfectly and keeping statistics. I had 10 wins and started another game. When finished, my stats read-----0 wins and 0 loses. A part of the "Log" file reads: Solitaire III Build 33 () Feb 9 2004 LOGFILE opened Wednesday May 21, 2008, 11:44:24 PM
SSQLite Error: database is locked
SQL: UPDATE PlayerGameList SET WinCnt=WinCnt+1 where Game="Josephine" and Player="Pete"
SSQLite Error: database disk image is malformed
SQL: select count(*) from GameLog where Game="Josephine" and Score>6677 and Won=1

When I uninstall and reinstall the game, it works well for a few games and then somehow my statistics get set back to "Zero". At 11:53:44, approx. 9 minutes after the "Log" file was created, the "Hardwood Solitaire III\Data\Solitaire III.db" was "Accessed", so I believe it is being written to. I have no idea what the problem could be or what else to do. I do not see a way to attach files here, so if you need any, please let me know what you need me to do.

warpete

NO HELP WHATSOEVER

Post by warpete » Sat May 24, 2008 8:45 pm

Well, tonight is Saturday, May the 24th, 2008 at approx. 11:18PM. Today I uninstalled Hardwood Solitaire III and then reinstalled THREE times, each time on a different partition. Each time I would win or lose a few games and the statistics would work fine. Then each time the statistics would stop working and my scores would be cleared to 0 wins and 0 loses!!! There has been absolutely no help in this forum and I have emailed support at SilverCreek without a single response. I'm not sure what this forum is for. In any event, the group of people who have been playing Hardwood Solitaire III for many years in various contests against one another, is searching for a new Solitaire game to purchase. There were seven of us (many more at times) who played constantly and three of us have this problem, so it's not just me. It's a shame that this topic was started on January the 8th, 2008 and now four 1/2 months later ------- nothing in the form of help or suggestions. Not even a reply to my emails sent to support (at) silvercrk.com. I may visit this forum again in a few weeks to see if anything has changed, but it doesn't look promising. In the meantime (WE) will search for a new game to purchase and play and say goodbye to Hardwood Solitaire III. We have no other options.