Reset been removed from profile

Reset been removed from profile

Postby The Floss » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Hi there, can anyone tell me why the reset button has been removed. This will make it difficult for the lower rated players to get a game on the spades site.
The Floss

Re: Reset been removed from profile

Postby Ralphie May » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:31 pm

A rating should indicate the level at which a person can play the game. When you reset every time you don't like your record it only indicates your ability to manipulate the system.

Now that there is no reset people will complete their 20 provisional games and be rated.
They will then set tables to exclude those below them so as to gain the most points from a win. With the table rated to exclude low ranked players noone will need to kick for point value. There will be many many 1200 to 1400 players to compete against each other till they improve their game. Every time you improve your rate by 50 points you will move to the next level of the game.

What is going to happen is that players will realize that the rate, to some extent, actually DOES indicate skill level.
Ralphie May
Active Poster

Postby patchlove » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:49 am

Unfortunately the "no reset" can also be used by vindictive immature players who will intentionally bid 12 as happened to me last night. The loss resulting was not reflective my playing ablility or skill.
These players should be banned from the site for a period of time to let them know they will be held accountable for their actions.
patchlove
Noob

Postby Ralphie May » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:49 am

Most definately!!! It is a gaming site, not a jokers club.
Ralphie May
Active Poster

Postby Galt » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:06 am

Ralphie is exaclty right. In the long run, not being able to reset will be very good for HW for just the reason that she stated.

As I posted in the other thread, the biggest problem (besides the civility thing) has been that there never were any lower rated games.

Now, players with 12, 13, and 1400 ratings will be able to find games at those levels.

The positive effects of this will be the following:

First, it will decrease the propensity to have mismatched games. Up until now, we have had a lobby full of provi games populated by players with greatly differing skill levels.

Next, this will help the beginners and lesser skilled players improve their games. Having a 13 or 1400 player sit at a provi table playing against 1800 players can lead to the lesser skilled players leaving the table with the sense that the other players were cheating. This is one of the biggest reasons why so many players here have the huge misunderstanding that they do concerning the meaning of ratings.

I saw the discussion again in the lobby yesterday about how high ratings are obtained by cheating and "picking the right seats".

The way that a player improves is by working his or her way up from his own level of ability to the next level of ability, not by playing in a game where he or she basically has no idea what is taking place at the table and leaves the game feeling taken advantage of.

Third, not being able to reset might help to alleviate the quitting problem, even though I imagine that most players who often quit are frequently making new nics anyway.
Last edited by Galt on Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Galt
Grand Master

Postby Sagwa » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:29 am

And now, everyone makes a brand new nic, if they lose just one game.

Next they will limit the number of nics we can make.
Quit going so overboard with this change or more changes and fun things will be taken.

:roll:
Sagwa
Active Poster

Postby Ralphie May » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:35 pm

Galt wrote:Ralphie is exaclty right.

I love that, I never get that at home so I had to repeat it!! :D BUT so is Galt when he talks about the mixed skill level in the prov games leading to frustration and people calling each other cheaters. This no reset really is a good thing.

And yes Sagwa, the next thing that SHOULD happen is limiting nics.Sorry but we can make this a better game site with changes.
Ralphie May
Active Poster

Postby Let It Rain » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:27 pm

The advantage of unlimited nics is the ability to remain anonymous. Yes, there are players who use anonymous to wreak havoc. But other players prefer to not have everyone know who they are and do not wreak havoc. Just because I partner someone a couple times does not make me their new best friend. I just want to play without someone knowing Let It Rain is Smiley or Devil or whatever nic I have...
Let It Rain
Active Poster

Postby Galt » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:59 am

There is a difference between having numerous nics available and having unlimited nics available.

As Ralphie said, the very best thing that HW could do would be to limit the number of nics along with the reset being gone. Quitting would be dramatically reduced as would the number of provi games.

I am sure that when HW first started going with the provi games, it had the very best intentions in mind. Rather than throwing a newbie out there in the ocean right away, let him or her get 20 games under the belt so that there could be some degree of confidence in the player's rating level. I am sure that HW did not envision players playing provi games forever as is the case.

I have always been sort of preplexed by the desire for scores of nics at HW. It was not unusual in The Zone and is not at other sites for players to play using only one name.
Galt
Grand Master

Postby Ralphie May » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:16 am

I am sure that HW did not envision players playing provi games forever as is the case.

Galt and I could agree for hours. I have never played at anyother site where there were people with over 500 nics. It's crazy. Limited amout meaning OHHH 15? You could still have 10 nics that were unknown.

Is there anyway we can get people to understand that 1200 and 1300 players will not be getting booted and will be able to play because therre will be MANY 1200 and 1300 players to compete with AND they will actually begin to win some games and not feel so angry at losing all the time.

Imagine having a scrabble tournament and letting college students sit against 1st graders. Think of how frustrated the little kids would feel. They would quit and never understand the game. BUT if the director of the tournament made age brackets... then the 1st graders competeing against each other would have a good time and the more they played the better they would be. AND the college students game would ALSO improve because they would be playing against people with similar skill level instead of just laughing at the little kids for being so easy to beat.
Ralphie May
Active Poster

Postby Galt » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:10 am

What is sad is that this fix to what is HW's biggest problem is so easy.

Just like when the rooms were changed around and people had fits until it became clear that the new system was better, people would throw fits if limited to some number of nics like you suggested Ralphie, but then when quitting was cut by 90% people would realize that the playing experience was dramatically improved.

Nice to see you. I don't recall having seen you at the tables in a very long time. I miss parding you.
Galt
Grand Master

Postby Ralphie May » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:25 am

I been playing under the radar for a while. I will get out my Ralphie nic today so say hi if you want to.
Ralphie May
Active Poster

Postby Galt » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:55 pm

At some point, one would think that the HW population would get tired of having somebody quit out of one-half or more of games played.

Why do players quit?

Because often...

They are getting slaughtered in a grossly mismatched game...

They have no idea why they are getting slaughtered, and just figure that it is bad luck, a bad pard, bad seats, or cheating...

Or sometimes it is because they got set on a Nil. Unfortunately, one of the best ways to improve at Spades it to play from behind, and the most memorable wins are the ones where you have to come from way behind.

They know that they can just reset the nic and start again.

Here is something to ponder:

If somebody has a nic that has been reset over and over and over and over, what does that mean?

It means that the resetting is accomplishing nothing other than allowing that player to play in games that are above that player's level. That is bad for the entire site, but mostly bad for that player.
Galt
Grand Master

Postby CRSARM » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:51 pm

I can understand both sides of the argument here. I play both spades and hearts. In spades I am pretty good as I have a lot of years of experience. In hearts not so good. I will often play with higher ranked people to learn their techniques to improve my game. When i do this I know I am going to lose almost every time. I reset my rating there as my knowledge and ability get better. I once played some partner games in hearts against what at that time was the #1 and #2 rated players. I played about 20 games and lost all of them. I saved them to view later to learn from. I would hate that those 20 games had to stay on my rating as it is hard to build the rating up after it goes way down.

Having said all of this I can see why not to reset. I do not like playing with people that just leave because they are losing and with my latest nics I have NO games that I have left. Knock on wood, the computer has not crashed in the middle of one yet. LOL I take pride in playing the games and I do not care if I am 300 points behind getting ready to lose I still play to win. I think to many people get wrapped up in the winning and losing and forget to just have fun. I have been there and it is not worth the stress. Play to have fun.

Andy
CRSARM

Return to Hardwood Spades