The G with some Basics.

Sailing_Away
Guide

Re: The G with some Basics.

Post by Sailing_Away » Wed May 06, 2009 7:12 am

I can't point to the source to cite it, but I got the impression from a posting by Jonas or Gromph that this option would be built at some point to come in a future Euchre upgrade, but no timetable was revealed when that would be. This forum has been used quite effectively to communicate that this is the most desired enhancement for current players of that game, and in my opinion, as I am not currently a Euchre player, it would do the most good for driving new sales of the game also. Giving people the ability to chose 9ups or 7ups just makes sense.
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."

GTO RACER
Active Poster

Post by GTO RACER » Sun May 10, 2009 11:28 am

Here's some food for thought.

One of the biggest irritants for me is the following scenario.

Ex. It is their deal, you sit third seat. They turn down trump. Your P calls and then leads the A or any card of the suit that was turned down only to have the opps trump in.

UGH

Common sense tells you that one of them is void in the suit, most likely, so it is best not to lead that suit. I have seen this all too often when I sit with random people. Normally this ends up in a euchre as the order was called on a lite suit.

Just a comment on it. I'm a self proclaimed geek and I love stats and logic. I haven't seen this scenario covered yet and if it was I apologize in advance.

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Wed May 13, 2009 8:58 pm

I can't remember where i mentioned that Janet, it's amongst the mess somewhere. You are right, normally it's a horrid lead, so many more options, but in saying that, i have led what has been turned down, to known next baggers and in provi games where you know they will have one. Hah, why do i do it, coz i have crap anyway, it's just me. :lol: :lol:

Eennie Meenie

The G

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:13 pm

Played some of my normal 7s up live Euchre last night and had a scenario that was quite mind boggling. I turned my deal down, Jack of Hearts. The 1st seat passed. My P called a Spade loner with the Right bower only, supported by the Ace, King, 10 and 7 of hearts. The 1st seat led the 9 of hearts, my P put the king on it, opposition P placed the queen of hearts down. My P then leads the Right bower and gets the lot. I had 5 spades in my hand, the opposition had none. I then said to my P, why would you go alone in Spades when you had 4 hearts in your hand, you could have ordered me. She said to me, G, i figured with you turning down a red bower you were loaded in black. She has been playing the game for just two weeks. I just love the Newbie skill, amazing stuff. :lol: :lol: :lol:

American Beauty
Grand Master

Post by American Beauty » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:43 am

callme7's partner wrote:G, i figured with you turning down a red bower you were loaded in black.
This is a perfect example of knowing your partner.

When I don't know my partner...I don't trust my partner. If I don't trust my partner I tend to call 3rd seat afraid they will pass.

How many times... how many <insert colorful adjective> times have I called third seat because I don't know/trust my partner to call?! I hate this. Not trusting sets me at a disadvantage. Understand, I sit mostly random. Even in higher-rated games (yes, it's true.) my partner will pass 1st seat as I sit helplessly and fruitlessly screaming, Next, at the screen.. and then when it comes around to me (amazingly) the only thing I'm inspired to do is click the X at the top right of my screen. Done.

Trusting your partner is everything. Trusting to lay off, trusting to call, and trusting to lead are all basic concepts to this game. If you aint got guts you aint got game.

Well done to your friend. :D

The soul suffers when we make it live superficially and so seeks out things of beauty and the profound.

Grace finds beauty in everything.

American Beauty
Grand Master

Post by American Beauty » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:20 pm

Another thing I would like to note about this scenario that you call mind-boggling is the fact that after the dealer passed on a red bower, 1st seat passed. Now that truly does boggle the mind.

Also, I would like to clarify from my previous post about trusting partners. I will always trust my partner at the first. It's not until 2 or 3 games of them passing perfectly callable hands do I begin to doubt and start making calls based on doubt instead of trust. I have found that doubting calls are the ones I am most likely to get euchred on. Sometimes I get lucky and look like I'm clever, but in reality I think doubting calls suck.

The soul suffers when we make it live superficially and so seeks out things of beauty and the profound.

Grace finds beauty in everything.

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:10 pm

I have been unindated with IMs from players who are complaining about a certain group of Nics that are making it nearly impossible to win a game if played against. I have looked at these and watched their games, you guys are 100% right, they are totally suspect. I have forwarded the names to admin and i am sure something will happen real quick with this. The person responsible made it far too obvious what they are doing, all the nics lead back to one another, over 60 of them now, only two appear online at once, all were made up in the last month or so and all have winning percentages of over 75%. I will leave it there and let Admin sort them out. :lol: :lol:

Eennie Meenie

The G

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:40 pm

Have just returned from 3 great days in Sydney, wow the weather was hot. Played some amazing 7s up Euchre with my brother who is an excellant player, but won't play the HardWood short deck. I do hope the 7s game isn't too far away from this site. We played for about six hours and i wrote a few stats down on what happened. (that's just me) Over the 6 hours we played about 50 games, as you may know we play to 11 points down here, not 10. Before i came to HW i never blocked at all, didn't see the need for it. Damn it, i blocked on 15 ocassions against my brother who sat to my right for the whole session, not one block was successful or really neccessary but did it because the score allowed me to do so, i had horrific hands. I suppose it was a refresher course on the 7s game. Non blockers on HW are successful as are blockers, it just depends on when it's applied. One thing i'm sure of, if Hardwood is ever graced with the 7s game, put your blocks away people, it certainly will beat you. To Jonas, where is our Christmas present? :lol: :lol:

Eennie Meenie

The G

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:17 am

I guess you didn't see the"other post" on updates...

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:16 pm

I know we have beaten some subjects to death on here, but the "NEXT" call is really quite amazing for what it achieves, consciously or subconsciously. Players tell me on a daily basis that they don't believe in the Next call in the 1st seat, they call their own hand, this may well be true, what they don't realize, they call next most of the time subconsciously. The opposition make this possible by not ordering their P, "the dealer" and the dealer turning their deal down. Let's just have a look at this. Believe it or not, the game of Euchre overall is not won by players crossing in the 1st seat, or players calling next in the 2nd seat, they are mostly won by the dealer being able to pick up, next calling in the 1st seat, & crossing in the 2nd seat. As we all know, games aren't won by blindly doing this exercize, but the percentage lies there in the thousands of games overall . Even the best Creek Crossers in the game call more Next in the 1st seat than the Cross, some just don't realize they are doing it. A big weapon is knowing when to Cross, when to Next, and when to Pass. Keep calling. :) :)

Eennie Meenie

The G

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:07 am

I always believed cards are not automatic, yes their are "best odds", however, sometimes you have to "look before you leap" or "take the chance, gut feel". I think if you don't become a machine you enjoy the game more. Do I always lead trump when I make the call and have first card, nope... do I always lead the 2 of clubs on the first trick in hearts.... ok I can't get past that one...

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

Euchre Buff
Noob

Post by Euchre Buff » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:37 pm

just like to say to G & all the players that put stuff in here over the last year or so for us learners, thankyou very much, my game has got to the stage where i now have four 1800 nics & a few 1700s. Not great by some of the standards set, but i was continually 1500 before reading this stuff. Merry Xmas. Buff

Nth Entity

Post by Nth Entity » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:25 am

Took me a day to read through this thread....that was a lot of reading. Too many things floating around in my head.

Been playing on and off HW for years (with my brother Andy's key...hahaha), I was surprised I actually registered a forum username that long ago. These days it seems like I am playing more often than I ever did.

This thread is both good and bad. I guess it is mostly good because of the tips and scenarios. However from a forum perspective it seems like over the years this one thread is like a forum inside a forum. More separate topics and the Euchre forum would rival the Spades forum in participation. So many side topics came out that should have had its own thread. If I recall the "blocking" concept was suggested to start a new thread a few pages back.

Anyway.....

Going back to the first pages it is true that you should get help from some of those people mentioned. However times may have changed and some from who was mentioned as "outstanding players" may have went and new ones emerged.

I think Janet said it best somewhere around the middle of the thread if I still have it on my clipboard:
You say that you don't stick to playing people that are 15/1600+ lifers... WELL get used to the non understanding of the game then.. because as along as you keep playing in that range the accusations and such will continue.
(yes I got it) This is true. For rating themselves (which constantly came up in the thread) they do matter if you follow them. I however never had the patience to sit or wait for higher rated games or even too lazy to change my nicks...honestly I never knew you could just scroll over your nick before logging in to see your rating....hahahahah! At the same time around the 1500 level there are others that dont really care about rating and there is quite a variance in play. I never really know how good my partner will be! Some of the strategy discussed in this thread needs to change when playing some of the lower rated games if you know the people. I even less frequently cross the river in these games since there is a greater possibility that the 3rd seat will pass. Even when a usual 1500/1600 has in their profile "I call thin" usually means they will call with the right, 1 lower trump and an ace.

Well this is all I can think about now, I swear I had 5 more things to bring up and I was thinking of making a full blown thread about it.
Last edited by Nth Entity on Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crocker

Post by Crocker » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:11 pm

Oh wow Nth Entity, this thread has been amazing for us dummies, also the socalled good players learned a heap as well. The players that contributed did a real good thing, so what that it went on for over three years, Hardwoods biggest thread by a mile. Not too many negatives in here Buddy. G took stuff by the horns and put it out there. Crocker :shock:

Nth Entity

Post by Nth Entity » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:27 pm

Crocker wrote:Hardwoods biggest thread by a mile. Not too many negatives in here Buddy. G took stuff by the horns and put it out there. Crocker :shock:
nope, no denying that :D