Options in Hardwood Hearts

gslusher

Options in Hardwood Hearts

Post by gslusher » Mon May 01, 2006 2:54 am

I was having problems with the scoring in Hardwood Hearts. I finally found the place to turn on the Jack of Diamonds scoring, but I then noticed that the game defaulted to Partnership. That's why I got weird scores--points added when I didn't take any, 26 points added when I shot the moon, etc. I confirmed that the game ALWAYS defaults to Partnership. That, to me, is a serious fault. The game should not turn on any of the Rules options unless the user chooses to do so. I shouldn't have to go into "Change Rules" EVERY TIME I launch the game. I was going to buy the package of games plus Dangerous Mines, but this "feature" irks me enough to not buy them at all unless this is changed. I will put a non-rating note at VersionTracker.com to warn users to check the Rules setting.
Last edited by gslusher on Mon May 01, 2006 3:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lace
Grand Master

Post by Lace » Mon May 01, 2006 2:57 am

Be sure to read the game options on each game you join. If the Jack of diamonds is not selected as an option, you'll get no points for it and it will be just like any other non-heart card.

It sounds like you are also playing No Spot games. The jack point deduction changes to -40 in a spot game.

gslusher

Post by gslusher » Mon May 01, 2006 3:43 am

I was playing against the computer, so I didn't "join" any game. (I don't play online games anymore, after being verbally harassed with very violent, abusive language over a game of Hearts in another system.)

I wasn't playing No Spot. It turned out that the Partnership option is turned on by default in solo game. I confirmed that several ways. That's a serious fault, in my book--Rules changes should be on only if the user turns them on.

The confusion in the messages is because I was editing my original message as you replied.

traceyr
Active Poster

Post by traceyr » Fri May 05, 2006 4:32 am

I think I have a similar issue - I have to reset the game hosting options every time I start a new game; it doesn't remember them from previous times. I used to have the Windows version and it remembered them each time. Now, the Jack Of Diamonds one is the only one it remembers and I have to reset all the others.

I have the latest game patch just downloaded now but that didn't help. I'm using OSX 10.4.6, G4, Power PC.

Not the greatest problem to face humanity really, but a fix would be nice anyway!