Backgammon Rankings and Crawford Rule Questions

Feel free to post about our xbox 360 games
MyNameHere

Backgammon Rankings and Crawford Rule Questions

Post by MyNameHere » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:03 pm

Dear Sirs,
I am very new to your program, but have played competitive backgammon for over 30 years. If you would, please explain how best to handle the following situation in your game.

In the last two days I have played three games of HBG on x-box live.
  • Game 1) 3 point match, hosted by myself. 1 game duration, I doubled, he accepted, I gammoned him, and my ranking improved from approximately 1150 to 950.
    Game 2) 3 point match, hosted by myself. 1 game duration, I doubled, he accepted, I gammoned him, and my ranking improved from approximately 950 to 860.
    Game 3) 3 point match, hosted by myself. The opponent quit after approximately 4 rolls. A quick check on the Leaderboard showed my ranking fell from approx 860 to 1229. Huh?
So, in spite of winning two consecutive games, I lost more points total than I had earned in wining the prior two games (by gammon; and on a cube) simply because the other fellow abandoned the game after 4 rolls.

Three Questions:
  • 1) How can a scoring system that penalizes so severely for the unsportsmanlike conduct of your opponent possibly be an accurate representation of a person's skill?
    2) Am I doing wrong something wrong, and if so, how can I correct it in order to preserve and improve my ranking?
    3) Lastly, how do I turn on the Crawford rule in matches I host?
Thank you for your feedback on this. I take Backgammon seriously and because I'm sure you do as well, I must be overlooking something and I really would appreciate your help.

Thanks again.

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:48 pm

Hi there.

The ranking adjustments are handled on the Xbox live service, and basically each game reports what the results are, and their system handles the calculations.

As you get to meet more and more backgammon players that you have good games with, you may want to add them to your friends list so you can match up with them again.

As for the crawford rule, we didn't implement that until the PC/Mac versions. I don't believe the Xbox version has that option.