Hardwood Hearts causing Xbox 360's to freeze up

Feel free to post about our xbox 360 games
Tour de Force
Noob

Hardwood Hearts causing Xbox 360's to freeze up

Post by Tour de Force » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:17 pm

Just an FYI to those that already purchased this game from the Xbox live Arcade like myself, or are thinking about purchasing it.

I purchased this game from the Xbox Live arcade the other day, and finally got around to playing the game last night. Well, I never finished a single game as my Xbox 360 would freeze up EVERY GAME. I would have to hard reboot, got back into the game, and sure enough, Xbox 360 freezes up.

At this point, I was real frustrated and I thought I knew what the problem was. My 360 finally went belly up. So, I spent about 45 minutes on the phone with Xbox 360 customer service telling them that I had a defective 360 and I needed to send it in.

I tried playing the 360 again this morning. Played Call of Duty for a half hour, and browsed the dashboard for another 15 minutes. Then I decided to give Hardwood Hearts another shot. Sure enough, right before I am about ready to win a game, whammo, 360 freezes up.

Then something occurred to me, EVERY TIME my Xbox 360 would freeze up, it was while I was playing Hardwood Hearts, NEVER on the 360 dashboard or any other games. I then decided to go the official Xbox forums. Sure enough, there were another 3-4 posters just like myself experiencing the same thing.

So, long story short, this game is screwed up, buggy, and causes the Xbox 360 to freeze up during gameplay.

Be warned. Hopefully Microsoft and the developer will do something about this ASAP! Otherwise, it is quite an enjoyable game that I would recommend to anyone that loves Hearts, again, assuming they get it stable and it doesn't freeze up your system.

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:49 pm

Does there seem to be any pattern to how or when it freezes?

Does Hardwood Spades Freeze up on you as well, or only hearts?

Thanks for the help.

Tour de Force
Noob

Post by Tour de Force » Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:33 pm

I only purchased Hardwood Hearts, not the Spades game. From what I can tell reading the Xbox forums, no one is having issues with the Spades game.

There is no specific pattern that I can see regarding the Hearts game other than it is pretty much guaranteed to crash, or freeze up your Xbox I should say, before you can finish a single game.

There seems to be a lot of people having this same exact problem, so I am inclined to say at this point that it is the game causing the problem, not the system itself.

Jigen

Post by Jigen » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:09 pm

I've had Hearts freeze up on me 4 times (always when playing on Live), I've also played Backgammon on Live for several games and had no problems. I have not tried Spades online yet.

Basically there are two problems with Hearts that I've seen... First off is a total system freeze, no access to any menus, no buttons including the guide button will work. The second problem which comes up some times is that sometimes it seems the games become desynced, two players will see a different player's turn being active, while the other two will see a more advanced player that can't lay down a card. The game then becomes stuck, menus can still be accessed, including the in-game menu. But you have to quit.

Tour de Force
Noob

Post by Tour de Force » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:25 pm

Jigen, yeah, that has happened to me several times as well, although I didn't know exactly why until you just pointed it out.

The system freezing thing is a deal killer for me. Are they going to patch it, have us delete it and redownload? I am just hoping that they (Microsoft and developer) acknowledge that there is a problem with the game, specifically pertaining to the freezing issue.

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:29 pm

Theres a provision for updating games. I don't know how long it takes to go through the process for an update like that, but I don't you you uninstall or anything. Not exactly sure though.

The more details you guys discover the more it helps the Dev team figure out whats up.

So thanks for any info you can send our way. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Tour de Force
Noob

Post by Tour de Force » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:34 pm

No problem, and I hope I didn't come off as an ass or a prick or anything. I really really like the game and all, I just wish it worked and would get a patch ASAP.

I'm not really sure what more or specific info you or the development team is looking for. I can't say all, but every person that I have ran into over forums or other places are having the same exact problem with this game. Again, I don't know if it affects 100% of the people who bought the game, but I have to assume it at this point as I haven't found a person who isn't having this problem.

Anyhow, hopefully you will let us know via this thread what you guys find out and what the developers are going to do about it and when. Thanks again!

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:44 pm

useful things so far:

Seems to be Hearts Specfic
Oddness with turn indicator being out of sync
only happens on live.

If you are playing and notice any other correlations, that would be great and I'll pass those along.

c0nc3pts
Noob

Post by c0nc3pts » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:46 am

Actually it happens on Spades aswell, if you go to the xbox.com forums you'll so people posting about it in the spades section along with me. Happened to me 3 times today, it only kicked out of it once. I was host everytime it happened and people were trying to join while I was going to check the leaderboards. I have to do a hard reboot, the controller just doesn't do anything and no matter who I'm voice chatting with, whether it's in the game or in a private chat, we get cut off instantly.

I was considering on buying hearts aswell as spades. But it seems like more people are complaining about hearts. I can actually finish games on spades, if I don't touch the Start button that is lol. But if you guys can figure out the hearts problem, I'll purchase that game aswell. Going to continue checking these forums for updates.

Oh yea, would you guys consider adding a icon for who's talking at the table, so you don't have to learn everyone's voice, or is there one and I'm just missing it?

A new table to download would be nice too ;). The wooden one isn't that pro, of course I'd be willing to spare a few points for a PRO looking table. Thanks

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:21 am

If it is only happening on the online it could be the servers at the online vendor. I would suggest that the players that have the game to run a few games offline and verify that it is not happening offline. This will help isolate the problem. Being that these servers are new online with this game that it could be the interface that is creating the problem.

Since this (from what I understand) is a separate provider for online service this could be where the bug is located. Most online games required "I'm alive bit" to continue operation and after so long will hang if on either end it is lost. The demand level of the online game may also have exceeeded what they had planned on and being that there are many games it could be creating a lag time that is interferring with connection. Not sure how they are configured and only taking a guess as to how they are, but I think you will find that the service may have been blindsided by the response to online, which I would assume they are trying to fix.

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

Tour de Force
Noob

Post by Tour de Force » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:14 am

I'm not technically proficient enough to say whether the problem lies in coding of the game, or in the servers the game goes through on Live.

Either way, the game in its present form is unacceptable. I don't know anyone or couldn't imagine anyone paying for this game to play it offline only. Cards are meant to be played with other human opponents. So, if the game freezes up EVERY time you play online, then the game is fatally flawed and useless in it's current state, again, whether it be a problem with the game itself or the servers.

I am hoping its the servers myself as I assume that would be a much quicker fix than an actual bug in the coding of the game. I am ready to play some Hearts online, lol!

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:57 pm

One reason I believe it lies on the server side is that the game has been debugged in it's present format and 2) the servers that are being used are new to this game format (maybe all formats, don't know that side of it). If you can play the game in a offline format without problem it sort of eliminates the game code or compatibility with XBox in itself, why I asked specifically if offline is working good. This will help the troubleshooters narrow the problem and create a fix sooner. I hope that it is something that can be fixed soon since you have bought the game for the purpose of playing online and wish you success. I would test it here but have not purchased the new XBox and not able to test it myself.

As a side note... try some diff. resolutions to see if that in itself will fix the problem (if resolution is a variable). It could be just that and it very often the reason for many hangs for screen freezes.

JUST DUST

PS - Just trying to help you out and will monitor this for further info and will help where I can. I am a network engineer and have been working with programs for many years.
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:06 pm

c0nc3pts wrote:Happened to me 3 times today, it only kicked out of it once.
do you mean that it returned to normal play once out of the 3 lockups?

c0nc3pts wrote: A new table to download would be nice too ;). The wooden one isn't that pro, of course I'd be willing to spare a few points for a PRO looking table. Thanks
Do you have a image example of a Pro table for hearts and spades. We''l certainly concider it ;)

c0nc3pts
Noob

Post by c0nc3pts » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:52 pm

Yes, out of the three times it froze, it only unfroze once, after about 30 seconds. I was just walking over to press the power button when it unfroze.

Also I just went on spades again, hosted a game and same thing happened... it froze.

It froze before the game started, needed one more player. I'm sure it has to deal with people joining the game, this time I wasn't even touching the Start button. It said 2 people joined, then froze. It only freezes the host, which was me. Could be some kind of networking problem.

As for the Pro table, I just thought I'd mention it, because me and some friends we talking about the wooden one, in the end, we turned it off. If I can find an image example of a few, I'll post them. But something like a poker table, but a different color would be cool, nothing special. Just really anything besides wood.

Just asked some people in the game I'm with, they suggested a square table, which would be cool too, if possible.

Minor update: I'm seeing the pattern here, now that alot of people are online playing Spades today. It is only freezing when the 4th (aka last) person tries to join the game.

It was also doing it in '3 Singles' as the *last* person joined, and I was playing against the same 4 people for hours (Happened a few times). Each time it froze, they asked "what's the card spinning thing?", I told them it's because my box froze.

Here's the thing, when I first got the game, there were games that I joined, and all it had on screen.... was a Card spinning in the middle. It would do that for a long period of time.

What I'm guessing is that, when it freezes the Host's Xbox. And this would explain why it has unfroze on me once, within 30 seconds. The guy trying to join with the card spinning on his screen, may have backed out to the main menu. If you don't back out to the main menu using the Start button, you'll stare at this card spinning for about a minute....while the host suffers with a frozen Xbox.

So would making the host timeout... faster solve this issue?

Tour de Force
Noob

Post by Tour de Force » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:41 pm

Jonas, just curious if there is any official response from the developers on this game regarding the freezing isssues?

I really want to start playing this game, but even as of late last night, I could not get through a game without it freezing up on me.

I have thought about erasing the download and re-downloading it, but I don't want to pay twice (sorry) for the game, not to mention the fact that it might not even be the game code, but a server issue.

Anyhow, you have been great about taking in the issues. Just curious what the official response at this point is after a full Monday being at the office?

Thanks!