360 spades problems

Feel free to post about our xbox 360 games
dooomey
Active Poster

360 spades problems

Post by dooomey » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:04 am

spades randomly freezes, when checking messages.

Also will freeze all the time if watchers are watching ranked matches. :(
xbox live : Doomey
"why not live your life like a mayfly?"

Gromph
Site Admin

Post by Gromph » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:45 am

What do you mean by checking messages?

Watchers shouldn't be allowed to watch ranked games. When the game starts it should kick out any watchers.

MrVitaminP

Post by MrVitaminP » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:32 am

Checking messages would be viewing Xbox Live message through the guide. The message could be something sent by a buddy, or even simply a friend signon notification. Both will cause Spades to freeze.

Second, you're correct, watchers will be kicked out of a ranked room when it is started. However, this process will cause the players to lockup. This bug has been in the game ever since the patch that added Xbox Vision support. It is reproducable everytime and it is very surprising that you haven't heard of it.

Gromph
Site Admin

Post by Gromph » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:16 pm

I'm working on fixing these problems in our games. I haven't been able to reproduce this one though.

Does it still happen?

Where at in the game are you when it happens, in a single player game, in a multiplayer game, in the menu, at the title screen?

Does it happen everytime or only occasionally? If occasionally about what percentage of the time?

Do you have any other info that might help reproduce the problem?

MrVitaminP

Post by MrVitaminP » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:02 pm

It is hard for me to answer whether these are still problems as I try to avoid them when playing spades. However, I can attempt to help explain it in more detail. Note: this is my experience only. Others might be describing a totally different problem.

Problem 1: When responding to dashboard notification the game become unresponsive. If I receive a dashboard notification (Examples: buddy sign on, achievement unlocked, new message, etc.) and respond to it by pressing the guide button on the controller, when I attempt to exit the guide and return to the game in progress the game no longer responds. I can continue to hear the other players via voice chat and they can hear me. However, I can no longer interact with card, select in-game menus, or any other in-game feature. If I am in a ranked game and continue to sit in on the game, my play eventually timeout and a card is auto played. So, the game continues on but as I said, I can no longer interact. I have only noticed this behavior in online multiplayer games. It doesn't happen every time but it is frequent enough to make me avoid responding to notification while in-game. I own two premium xbox 360s and encounter the problem on both. I do use wireless controllers so i have not tested the problem with a wired controller. One xbox connects to xbox live via a wired connection and the other is using the wireless adapter. I am still able to pull up the guide and exit the game to dashboard. On occasion this does cause a complete system freeze that requires a power-cycle to fix. This full lockup, for me, is rare. Also, the game goes not seem to do this if I just pull up the guide. it has to be in response to a notification.

Problem 2: When setting up a ranked match if a "watcher" is in the room when the host starts the game, players at the table will freeze. This problem appears to be pretty easy to reproduce as it happens every time I have tried it. However, the number of players who lockup at the table seem to be at random. Meaning, not everyone will lockup at the table every time. But, every time, at least one person will. Example: Player A, B, C, and D are sitting at a ranked table. Watcher 1 is in the room then Player A (the host) starts the match. Watcher 1 will be kicked from the room (as is expected behavior). In this example, Player C and D freeze. So, at first, to Player A and B, it will appear that the game has started normally. That is until it is either Player C or D's turn. They will drop from the game and the computer takes over their play. This causes the ranked game to be invalidated. This can be very frustrating. So, when playing ranked games, players now make sure that all watchers have left the room prior to starting. Since the problem started, I have not been in a single ranked match that started successfully while a watcher was in the room at game start. So, it seems that it happens 100% of the time. If this problem has been fixed recently, I haven't noticed as I try to avoid starting while a watcher is in the room.

Hopefully that will help you pin-point the problems. If you need additional information let me know.

Gromph
Site Admin

Post by Gromph » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:34 am

Thanks for the additional details that helps narrow down the possible causes. But I still can't reproduce the problem. I was testing by using 2 consoles to send messages back and forth while in a ranked match.

Problem 2 has been solved, thanks!

superryo

Post by superryo » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:48 pm

What do you mean that it is "resolved"? I am still having the freeze issue when there are lurkers. Is it resolved but not yet deployed?

Gromph
Site Admin

Post by Gromph » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:53 pm

yes it is resolved but not deployed.

superryo

Post by superryo » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:36 pm

That is great to hear. Do you know when it is expected to be deployed? Spades is one of my and my friend's favourite game but it is so unbearable when it freezes like that.

dooomey
Active Poster

Post by dooomey » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:42 am

horrah problems fixed soon!

the message things is ok now, but lurkers still crash the gamne (in ranked)
xbox live : Doomey
"why not live your life like a mayfly?"

Shamrock6699

Post by Shamrock6699 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:15 am

Hey whats going on with this issue? Your last post about it was in December when you said it was fixed.

The guy talking about freezing when sending messages is not a problem in this game. That happens randomly in any game your playing as sometimes the opening the guide/sending messages will freeze your system up. Its rare and doesn't happen consistently. He just had it happen in spades and thinks its because of spades.

But

The issue with host freezing is pissing me off now. It happens every single time in there are more than 4 people in a ranked room when you start the match. This started happeing after the Camera Patch. Before the Camera Patch came out when there were more than 4 people in a ranked match the game would simply kick out any watchers with no problems. After the patch what would happen is the game still kicks out watchers, but the host freezes and everyone else is disconected from the server. This has been happening for months now and it would be nice if its fixed properly as its not good for system to hard lock like that and it could damage people's systems. Please fix this if possible.

Gromph
Site Admin

Post by Gromph » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:13 am

Hi, The update is going through the process of being approved by Microsoft. Unfortunately this takes some time. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Shamrock6699

Post by Shamrock6699 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:47 pm

Gromph wrote:Hi, The update is going through the process of being approved by Microsoft. Unfortunately this takes some time. Sorry I can't be more specific.
Well thanks for the update. Its been a few months now and I had thought this was not being fixed. It was getting frustrating because now people are being jerks and joining ranked rooms as watchers and not leaving because they know if you start the game you will freeze. Happened 3 times to me when I posted the other day.

Also I hope the patch fixes the lockups when people quit the match. For some reason whenever someone quits a ranked game at least 1 other person locks up when the person quits.