Fixed dice rolls for unregistered version of HW Backgammon?

acherion

Fixed dice rolls for unregistered version of HW Backgammon?

Post by acherion » Tue May 01, 2007 7:15 pm

Hi everyone,

Newbie here, just a quick question, I had downloaded the OS X Mac version of Hardwood Backgammon and it's a very good application and I love playing it.

However, I have noticed that every single game I play, regardless of who starts first, the first dice roll is a 5-2, then the next is a 5-1. I have played about 20 games so far, and although I have not written down my dice rolls and then play another game to see whether the new game's rolls are the same (maybe I should?), this is very suspicious.

Now I haven't purchased a registration key for this game, but surely random dice rolls isn't a "feature" that is only available in registered versions of this game?

acherion

Post by acherion » Wed May 02, 2007 12:51 am

OK I have just gone through another game and wrote down all the dice values. Once I finished a game (winning btw), I went and played 2 more games. Each dice throw is EXACTLY the same. I can safely predict what numbers the computer will roll!

Is this right? Why is this happening? I don't see anywhere on the Hardwood Backgammon website that this limitation is in place for the trial version? Seeing other threads in here, it seems that this isn't the only discrepancy or suspicion with dice throws in Hardwood Backgammon, registered or not.

This is false and misleading advertising/information, and I am quite annoyed at this. Anyone willing to give an explanation?

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Wed May 02, 2007 1:10 am

Hi there,

There was a recent update on backgammon to fix some of the issues people were having and it seems to have created a few that were not expected.

The programmers are working on it but it takes a little time and patience on the part of those playing.

Thank you for reporting it and giving such a detailed explanation of the issue your having, it will help the programmers to locate and fix the problem.

Hugs and Smiles

I am woman I am strong

Unicron
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Unicron » Wed May 02, 2007 10:57 am

Actually, I am not sure that is a defect. At least thats how it worked on the Xbox 360 version. I think one of the trial limitations is you get the same moves on your trial game until you purchase. I might need to check with Jonas on that though.

Jason

Manny
Active Poster

Post by Manny » Wed May 02, 2007 11:20 am

Doh- beat me to it Jason ;) (Hi!)

This was unintentionally included in the pc/mac builds from the Xbox 360 version.

The intent is to have the pc/mac versions limited by time only. On Xbox 360 you can replay the demo forever so we had to be more restrictive.

We'll get a fix out ASAP.

Looks like there's some problem with abandoning a game as well.

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Wed May 02, 2007 12:15 pm

Ok well now you have gotten answers from me and a couple of the admins, hope you will buy and enjoy the game. I know I do :)

Hugs and Smiles

I am woman I am strong

Manny
Active Poster

Post by Manny » Thu May 03, 2007 8:26 am

Forgot to mention, the update for this went out yesterday afternoon.