Broken features (as suggested by Jonas)

Wanderer
Active Poster

Broken features (as suggested by Jonas)

Post by Wanderer » Tue May 23, 2006 3:46 pm

According to http://www.bkgm.com/rules.html

"4. A player must use both numbers of a roll if this is legally possible (or all four numbers of a double). When only one number can be played, the player must play that number. Or if either number can be played but not both, the player must play the larger one. When neither number can be used, the player loses his turn. In the case of doubles, when all four numbers cannot be played, the player must play as many numbers as he can."

The Silvercreek Backgammon AI doesn't enforce this rule.

Basically, if you roll a 3-1 for instance and by moving a piece with the 1 it results in the 3 becoming usable. That shouldn't be permitted. Though it's not specifically a bearing off issue, this is a useful cheat during the end game where a defending player needs to slow their own progress in the hope of hitting an opponents blot as they bear off. If they can keep their men back, their chances for survival remain.
Keith :-P
aka, Tavli Man

gina
Active Poster

Post by gina » Mon May 29, 2006 2:54 pm

It would be extremely helpfull to have a " resume game " option. Many league matches are long, and at times need to be completed in more than one setting. Also, it is impossible to have any e-mail tourneys, with the match value over 5, if the resume option is not available. It should be able to connect a player with the same opponent, and continue the match where they left off.

I have severeal more suggestions, but could we start with this one please? Thank You.

Wanderer
Active Poster

Post by Wanderer » Wed May 31, 2006 1:00 am

I manage a Help Desk and when a fault is reported, the caller is given a hot fix, told the problem will be fixed in a specific upcoming release or asked for further information.

If I haven't explained the problem properly, please let me know and I will send you an example. Feel free to email me if want. I'm just trying to help improve the product. Don't take this the wrong way but I'm beginning to suspect Hardwood bought the AI (not the user interface) for Backgammon from an outside source on an "as is" basis with no provision made for logic bug fixes.

(By the way, the reply above is off topic. The topic here is "Broken Features" not "Desireable Features". If someone wants to raise another topic, I have a few features I'd like to see implemented too.)
aka, Tavli Man

Wanderer
Active Poster

No fix in latest Build

Post by Wanderer » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:02 am

The game has seen seven builds since I reported this fundamental fault and it hasn't been fixed. I'm very disappointed. On the other hand, the user interface and slick graphics continue to improve. :roll:
aka, Tavli Man