Supposed Random Rolls

ljb

Supposed Random Rolls

Post by ljb » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:06 am

Over the years I have purchased all of your games and enjoyed them tremendously. However, the recently purchased Backgammon is more frustrating than enjoyment.. The opposing Computer's random rolls appear to be annoyingly stacked in favor of the Computer, instead of being truly random. This is not a matter of simply adding another difficulty level, but applying true random roll code.
Thanks for listening SilverCreek.

Unicron
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Unicron » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:24 pm

I can assure you 100 percent that the rolls themselves are absolutely, with a doubt, completely random. The difficulty level will of course effect how well the CPU makes use of the rolls it gets, therefor making it easier or harder based on the level you choose. I undertand your concern, I too was wondering the same thing when i began testing the program. I have actually sat down with a pair of dice and rolled it 100 times, documented the rolls and how many doubles their were, and then compared them to 100 of the computers rolls. It turned out that it was spot on. Of course the programmers ran more elaborated tests, but the little test I did, put me at ease. If you were to repeat my excersise you should notice that the percentages should be pretty much the same, with of course a small margin of randomness even in 100 rolls making them slightly different.

So it is possible that you had some bad luck, or that the currently selected level is a bit above your current skill level. I do not mean that in a derogatory way. I, being one of the testers here, can pretty regularly beat easy, but rarely the middle difficulty level. I still lose from time to time on easy as well.

If you look at the user feedback on other gammon sites you will notice that folks in all games often feel as you do from time to time. It is unfortunately a perception issue that we have yet to think of a valid way to solve.

Jason
Silver Creek Entertainment