Should your avatar be on the Right site of the board?

Your avatar should be on what side of the board?

Right
100%
Left
No votes

Total votes: 7

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Should your avatar be on the Right site of the board?

Post by Jonas » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:39 pm

What side of the screen should your avatar be?

If we move the avatar, the die rolls would move as well to that side.

Wanderer
Active Poster

Post by Wanderer » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:59 am

It makes more sense to me if the players avatar is situated beneath their home board.

If Hardwood were to give the player the option to play in either a clockwise or counter/anti-clockwise direction (see the game enhancement I suggested elsewhere in this forum), that location would vary.
Keith :-P
aka, Tavli Man

chaviland

Dice should be rolled on the *Right* side of the board.

Post by chaviland » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:23 pm

Rolling on the Right side of the board is an actual requirement in live backgammon: http://www.bkgm.com/rules.html

Most people when they start playing roll on whichever side they find more convenient, usually the side with fewer checkers. This actually makes more sense to me, but the rule in live tournament backgammon is clear and practically universal. Rolling on the right side is firmly engrained, and experienced players will find left side rolls awkward and almost uncomfortable. I suspect that players that voted for Right (currently 100%) feel strongly that the dice should be on the right. If someone does eventually pick left, they will almost certainly be a novice or play exclusively online. Most importantly, if someone wants to transition from Hardwood Backgammon to live play, they will need to re-roll frequently while breaking the habit of rolling on the left side, probably feeling somewhat foolish along the way.

It is probably also a good business decision to put the dice on the right. There are certainly some people who won't buy the program for this reason alone, and another group that terminate their evaluation immediately after the first roll, thinking to themselves: "No 'serious' backgammon program could possibly roll dice on the left side..."

The left-side rolling is by far the most surprising characteristic of the otherwise fine interface. Backgammon is a game of subtle detail, and so many details have been tended to so carefully; it is just difficult to imagine how this rule, which is neither subtle nor difficult to implement, could have been overlooked.