Sounds

vjrmn

Sounds

Post by vjrmn » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:56 am

Hi All,
I just purchashed Backgammon yesterday. There are no sound effects. Music is okay. When I had the trial version the sound was there. It is just not any fun to play without the sound. I know this subject was posted earlier this year, but not resolved completely, so decided to start anew.

Are there any suggestions? Please help...

Thanks,
vjrmn

luapekralc

Post by luapekralc » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:08 pm

Hi, I agree it's not as much fun. I purchased it before Thanksgiving and the sound was greate for about a week, then it stopped. No adjustments to the mixer or computer settings seemed to do any good. All other programs had normal sounds.

I decided to uninstall and reinstall - the first time the sound worked, then it stopped. I uninstalled and reinstalled again - no luck - no sound.

I even downloaded a fresh copy the first week of December, uninstalled the old one, always careful to reboot after each unistall, no luck - no sound.

Really frustrated (also frustrated because I can't win often against the World Class computer :( - maybe some soothing music would be good for me!

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:14 pm

One thing I can suggest until the tech guys get on this is check and make sure your sound card drivers are up to date. If not install the latest drivers for YOUR card and try again :)

I am woman I am strong

vjrmn

Sound

Post by vjrmn » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:35 am

Thanks for the replies.....

I contacted support@silvercrk.com. Their suggestion was to uninstall and reinstall and to make sure that the Devices under Audio was set to my computer, not system default. It makes no difference whether Audio, Devices is set to system default or my Microsoft Wavetable.

Also, I had same problem as you - after reinstall the sound only works while you are playing. When you get back in a second time - the sound is gone again. I used the trial version for some time and the sound worked there.

I have again contacted support (last week) - with no response. I asked them to please get this bug fixed or what else could I do but request a refund. I also hope they get this fixed - I like their Backgammon game, but not without sound.......

Wanderer
Active Poster

Post by Wanderer » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:21 am

Not intending to dismiss your preference but I'd go positively P-O-S-T-A-L if I left the sound on. :roll:
Keith :-P
aka, Tavli Man

vjrmn

Post by vjrmn » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:40 pm

Wanderer - I am talking just the sound effects, like the roll of the dice. I turn off the music, cause it drives me bonkers.....Do your sound effects work?

I have been thinking of purchasing the Spades game, but not if there are no sound EFFECTS..

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:22 pm

I own all the SCE games and sound effects is all I have on and they work in all the games for me.

I am woman I am strong

Wanderer
Active Poster

Post by Wanderer » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:24 am

vjrmn wrote:Wanderer - I am talking just the sound effects, like the roll of the dice. I turn off the music, cause it drives me bonkers.....Do your sound effects work?
Not that it'll be much comfort, the sound effects work okay on my Dell PC. Under Audio Options, I have the Midi Device Set to System Default, I have the Effects box ticked and the Effects volume set a quarter of the way up. All of the available Quality options seem to work. You might want to double check none of the controls on the System Mixer are muted. Why sound in other games works for you but not in HW Backgammon is very odd.

I'll be switching the sound effects off now. I really don't enjoy the constant sound of those trumpets every time I win a match. :wink:
Keith :-P
aka, Tavli Man

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:21 am

Hrmm thats interesting that it can work when you 1st install, but then fail the 2nd time. Course that just could be coincidence I suppose.

Anyhow, the settings/your preferences are stored in a file named Globaloptions.dna. It's just a text file and you can pop it into note pad to take a peek at it.

On unlikely possibility could be for some reason or another the game isn't being allowed to write to the file. Hence not saving the preferences. thats unlikely the cause though, since, it's default nature would be to leave the sound turned on.

Are you running a limited user account in windows.

er, thats something, what OS are you running?

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:23 am

oh, one other thing is make sure the not only is the sound turned up, but that it's checked "enabled" in the audio settings.

vjrmn

Post by vjrmn » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:40 pm

I have gone through all the settings and they are correct....even tried different configurations, but no luck.

I am single user on this computer and using XP Pro.

The uninstall/reinstall is not just a one time coincidence - I have done this every morning in order to get sound when I want to play Backgammon. If I just minimize game the sound effects will work all day, until I actually 'X' out.

I really appreciate everybodies help and suggestions. Wish support@silvercrk.com would be as helpful......

Vicki

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:10 pm

Vjrmn Jonas is part of Support, he is one of the owners if your still having problems he will try to come up with more answers for you. :)

You have the best there is now :)

I am woman I am strong

vjrmn

Post by vjrmn » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:33 pm

Jonas - am SO SORRY. I did not realize you were part of silver creek - but when I look at your avitar, I should have known. DUH.... :oops:

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:12 pm

Hrmm now thats odd, if you minimize the game, the sounds work? Wierd.

Try experimenting with the effects mute. I vagley recall a change that may have been around sept where minizine would Mute the game be design. However perhaps the game is toggleing whatever value is current and somehow getting it backward.

Anyway, yeah try experimenting with toggling mute in the game or in the system volume.

vjrmn

Sounds

Post by vjrmn » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:37 pm

Hello Again,

I have not replied to previous posts because I had given up - tried everything you all suggested with no luck.

Glory Be------------tonight, the sound effects started working. The only thing I have done differently was that today I visited the online game and looked around in there and watched a few games in play. Could that have anything to do with it?

I am sooooo happy they are working....Keeping my fingers crossed that it continues.

Thanks for everyones help and suggestions.

Vicki