Fire up the Wayback Machine, Sherman

maxel
Active Poster

Fire up the Wayback Machine, Sherman

Post by maxel » Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:37 pm

Last edited by maxel on Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Age and treachery always defeat youth and vigor.

e_moomoo
Big Poster

Post by e_moomoo » Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:05 pm

Cool, thank you, Maxel :)

mickodie
Big Poster

Post by mickodie » Mon Feb 10, 2003 4:16 pm

I didn't realize they had been around that long. They have done a wonderful job. :lol: When did they add the other games?
Have Fun, Play Fair, and Keep the Card Gods Happy!

Gromph
Site Admin

Post by Gromph » Mon Feb 10, 2003 4:53 pm

We actually have been around since 1994, Hardwood Solitaire Was released in 1995, Hardwood Solitaire II in 1996, Hearts in Sep 2000, Spades in Jan 2001, Euchre Nov 2001, Minesweeper Jan 2002, And Hardwood Solitaire III in 2003

Hmm, what the heck were we doing between 1996 and 2000, I can't remember...

mickodie
Big Poster

Post by mickodie » Mon Feb 10, 2003 6:59 pm

So happy I found the place :lol: How did you all get together and decide to create it? Do you all work in the same place? Inquiring minds want details about ya. :wink: It was a great idea to add online gaming. Euchre took a long time to take off, but getting more players all the time. Hope for continued success to SCE, it ROCKS!!

e_moomoo
Big Poster

Post by e_moomoo » Sat Feb 22, 2003 9:04 pm

mickodie wrote:So happy I found the place :lol: How did you all get together and decide to create it? Do you all work in the same place? Inquiring minds want details about ya. :wink: It was a great idea to add online gaming. Euchre took a long time to take off, but getting more players all the time. Hope for continued success to SCE, it ROCKS!!
:D Ditto that, rocks for sure!!

Yes, how about a little more history? :wink:
"People may not remember exactly what you said or did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." :-)

Gromph
Site Admin

Post by Gromph » Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:44 am

well, if you must know it all started when I was in high school and met Jonas on a local bbs, a few years before the internet hit big, must've been about '93. After chatting about wanting to make games we just said hey lets meet. It happened to be about midnight, so we meet at the local denny's and just started talking about makeing games. I can't recall what we really wanted to make, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't card games. something more along the lines of a Doom type game, with weirdo twists. I just started to learn programming and Jonas was trying to start a graphic design business. So we started a few small projects to learn, our first venture was a little 3D modeling utility, I think we sold 4-5 copies. Next we made a little game called Tragen, it was basically a one static screen zombie shooter. it was never released, probably should've.

Then one day for some unknown reason to me, jonas says hey I made this cool set of cards. I'm like uh ok, whatever. So we decided to make a solitaire game out of them, just to learn some more on how to put things together. I don't think we really intended to do anything with it. I took it to school with me and put it on a few computers. Some people thought it was really cool!

About that time both Jonas and I worked for the local county government, Jonas was known for his art around the office, and me for my programming. So they asked us if we would put together a demo of a program they had in mind that would teach people about watersheds. They actually paid us a few grand to do it. They were supposed to take that demo, which we blew them away with how good it was, and get some other counties together to fund the completion of it. We sat around for a few months waiting for them to get back to us. They never did.

So we decided to polish off that little solitaire demo and see if we could get any one to buy it. I think it sold around 5-10 copies a month or so. This would be known as the top ramen period.

Anyways that's enough of the story for now...

maxel
Active Poster

Post by maxel » Sun Feb 23, 2003 2:04 am

Last edited by maxel on Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

e_moomoo
Big Poster

Post by e_moomoo » Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:05 am

:) Too cool........thank you, Dan! Fascinating...

Yes, pls, let's have the next installment! :-)

...and to think, this all started from a deck of cards...lol
"People may not remember exactly what you said or did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." :-)

e_moomoo
Big Poster

Post by e_moomoo » Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:12 am

Dan wrote: Hmm, what the heck were we doing between 1996 and 2000, I can't remember...
...looking forward to that installment..lol ;-)

old geezer
Active Poster

Post by old geezer » Sun Feb 23, 2003 2:09 pm

Dan and/or Jonas-
Very interesting about how you guys got started. So if you guys met in H.S. around '93, you're relatively young (compared to Old Geezers anyway) -
But here's a semi-serious question, and you can answer with just a yes or no- do you guys make your living (as in support yourselves) from your involvement with Silvercreek/solitaire? Or is this a hobby and you are really doctors and lawyers on the side?

Gromph
Site Admin

Post by Gromph » Sun Feb 23, 2003 2:53 pm

The last "real jobs" we had was those county jobs in '95 or so. We starved for a few years, and then started to be able to support ourselves after Hardwood Solitaire II.

Visionary Artisan
Active Poster

Post by Visionary Artisan » Sun Feb 23, 2003 4:40 pm

I love it! Really gives us a chance to appreciate you guys even more when we can look back into the history a bit! Keep it coming!! :lol:

mickodie
Big Poster

Post by mickodie » Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:30 pm

I thought you guys must be young uns :lol: When did Manny join the group? Great to learn more about you all --we might even quit crabbing so much. lol God, 93 is just yesterday.

maxel
Active Poster

Post by maxel » Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:51 pm

Last edited by maxel on Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.