Something New

Dead Presidents
Active Poster

Something New

Post by Dead Presidents » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:24 pm

I think its safe to say hardwood is getting boring. So it would be nice if the creators of hardwood do some creating. Add something so that people stay interested.
Spades is a beautiful thing.

Joe Andrews
Active Poster

A good site..

Post by Joe Andrews » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:30 am

Hardwood - Boring? Never!

Every game is an adventure! There is only so much a Spades Internet site can provide. Where else can you get so much entertainment for the small fee of purchasing the CD (Software)? I suppose the RDG (deals) can be improved. And maybe some more "characters" can be added. Still, this is a good site.

Enjoy Life - Play Spades! :lol:
Last edited by Joe Andrews on Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SybiL
Grand Master

Post by SybiL » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:57 am

Personally, I would change all that, for an icon right next to the players name.

I'd love to see either a dot or star or any icon, of different color right next to the name, according to the rank or level. (for example, red star 1900 to 2000, green star 1800 to 1700, etc etc)

I would do that with all those who have full version not trial.

Vidurr
Active Poster

Re: A good site..

Post by Vidurr » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:27 am

Hardwood - Boring? Never!

Every game is an adventure! There is only so much a Spades Internet site can provide. Where else can you get so much entertainment for the small fee of purchasing the CD (Software)? I suppose the RDG (deals) can be improved. And maybe some more "characters" can be added. Still, this is a good site.

It's actually the best site. But that depends on WHY you play. If all you want is duplicate spades, and money tournaments with more ranking systems; then you won't be happy at HW.

Suggestions:

1. Introduce Duplicate (TM) Spades. This would silence
all of the criticism about the unlucky / unbalanced deals, and would reward the skill element of the game.

If I was HW, I wouldn't waste time, money, and programming on something that was tried at another gamesite which failed and closed. It's understandable that since you have the "trademark" that you would keep promoting your "trademark". Besides duplicate does not end all the criticism; luck becomes a factor of how many players are playing and where you might be seated.

2. Try a "Team of 4" Format, in which 2 Teams can challenge 2 other
Teams to a Match.
HW Leagues offer that now.

3. Reward the players who earn the most rating points during the course
of a calendar year. (A "Top Ten" List)

Why ? So we can stroke our egos and say "look at me" ? "I'm the best ?" We've already said that such online rankings truly mean nothing. If players want more rankings; they can do that now by joining or creating a league.

4. Organize and direct an online qualifying Tournament to send the winning Team to the GP "live" World Series event in October.

This was also tried before at another game site and the accusations of cheating for the winning team never stopped. In fact, it caused so much "stink" it still harbors "grudges" amongst the players who participated and this happened "years" ago. Awarding airplane and hotel monies will only cause cell phone minutes to go up. Not too mention increasing sales of larger desks to accomodate two computers sitting side by side. Online tournaments like this cannot be controlled. It was catastophic the last time this happened elsewhere.

5. How about a guides vs the players challenge match? :lol:

The Guide hosted tourney is held each week.

6. Finally, set up a room in which expert players could teach newcomers the basic and intermediate strategies / techniques.

A room/lobby is already set up; but nobody goes. It's been suggested repeatedly that the spades "gurus" ought to form a league to attract and promote spades, but ?????

Runt
Active Poster

Post by Runt » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:17 pm

SybiL wrote: Personally, I would change all that, for an icon right next to the players name.

I'd love to see either a dot or star or any icon, of different color right next to the name, according to the rank or level. (for example, red star 1900 to 2000, green star 1800 to 1700, etc etc)

I would do that with all those who have full version not trial.

/me seconds this... best idea ever :) ... that and having a buddy list lol but will the hw gods ever hear our plee!
http://www.runtified.com/hwindex.html
Chat Alias Download | Bind Help | Everything Hardwood

p0is0ned_fl0wer
Active Poster

Post by p0is0ned_fl0wer » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:21 am

6. Finally, set up a room in which expert players could teach newcomers the basic and intermediate strategies / techniques.

A room/lobby is already set up; but nobody goes. It's been suggested repeatedly that the spades "gurus" ought to form a league to attract and promote spades, but ?????
Would that be the Legends team? :shock:

I agree with the buddy list..altho buddy list is usually yahoo/aol/msn lol..that won't change. The stars for ratings is a good idea..sometimes it's hard flipping through the lobby to see similar ranked players.This would be a great and quick easy reference guide. It is obviously quite simple to do from a software point of view.. just look at all the blue stars.. YAY

And finally God Bless ya Curtis..you are always bored hun!

Joe Andrews
Active Poster

Accurate Information

Post by Joe Andrews » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:37 pm

Mr. Vidurr: (Is this your real last name)?

Regarding Duplicate Spades (which you have had commented on previously) Here is your latest post:

"If I was HW, I wouldn't waste time, money, and programming on something that was tried at another gamesite which failed and closed. It's understandable that since you have the "trademark" that you would keep promoting your "trademark". Besides duplicate does not end all the criticism; luck becomes a factor of how many players are playing and where you might be seated."

The "other" game site to which you refer conducted a successful Duplicate Spades game for nearly two years. Their site did not "fail". It was sold to another on line gaming site. :P Regarding the luck factor in Duplicate - you need to read about Duplicate Spades, and its structure / format. (A "Google" search will provide the links for your information). The size of the field, or the seat which you are occupying has NOTHING to do with the hands which are dealt or the luck of the draw. :lol: :lol: This is a game of skill, not chance, and compares your results to the other teams who play the same hands!

As for the on line Prize qualifier -

Here we go again with the cheating debate, which has been discussed aud nausuem in several previous HW threads. If you are that paranoid about cheaters in on line games, then don't play on line.

I know all about the 2002 "tournament" in question here. Here is your latest post:

"This was also tried before at another game site and the accusations of cheating for the winning team never stopped. In fact, it caused so much "stink" it still harbors "grudges" amongst the players who participated and this happened "years" ago. Awarding airplane and hotel monies will only cause cell phone minutes to go up. Not too mention increasing sales of larger desks to accomodate two computers sitting side by side. Online tournaments like this cannot be controlled. It was catastophic the last time this happened elsewhere. "

Still "harbor" grudges after five years? Wow, you would think they lost all of their worldly possesions when they lost to the Cheaters.

More than 5,000 players participated in the on line qualifier. No body had to pay an entry fee to participate. It was a FREE event! It was never proven that the winners cheated. Just a whole lot of allegations, and lots of sour grapes from the losers. The game in question was won by the Team which bid and made two Nils - one very lucky, and the other "ice cold". There are at least 100 kibitzers watching this finals, and most observers agreed that the winning Team was lucky, and took an extreme chance on one of the Nils. It happens. Nothing in the rules prohibits you from bidding Nil, even if it is a bad Nil! I have lost to some outrageous Nils. And I have bid and made some desperate Nils and rescued "lost" games on the last hand of a Match.

Do you honestly think that Teams would go out and buy an extra computer system to win air tickets and 2 nights in a hotel? What you are saying is that if any Prize is ever offered for an on line game, the cheaters will come crawling out of the woodwork like cockroaches! :P
Listen, if people want to chert for ratings, egos, hamburger gift coupons, or a trip to "live" event, they will cheat. However, most players are honest, and win fair and square. (Good cards do help!)

An interesting irony here is that Duplicate would be the ideal format to conduct the on line qualifier.

Enjoy Life - Play Spades! :roll:

Dead Presidents
Active Poster

Post by Dead Presidents » Tue May 01, 2007 2:15 pm

Well...like I was saying it would be cool to have something new. A red star for my 2k nics would be cool :D
Spades is a beautiful thing.

Just_Ice
Grand Master

Re: A good site..

Post by Just_Ice » Sun May 27, 2007 7:59 am

Vidurr wrote:5. How about a guides vs the players challenge match? :lol:

The Guide hosted tourney is held each week.
The Guide hosted tourney is exactly that, a Guide hosted tourney. It's apparent to me, and everyone else who wasn't looking to criticize Joe's comments, that what he meant was a tourney where the Guides played as teams and they played against non-Guide teams. That is very different than the current Guide hosted tourney.

They did this same thing you suggested, Joe, in Hearts one time and I had a good time.

I think it's a good idea.

HW Angel
Active Poster

Post by HW Angel » Sun May 27, 2007 9:43 am

Just, we don't usually pard up as guides, but one night a team asked if they could have a match against a team of guides if they won the tournament. They did win and Oklahomagal joined me in a guide versus the winners match after the tourney.

I have to say it was an outstanding game right down to the wire on the last hand. Oklahoma went nil and we had nine bags. I had to cover her and take no bags for us to win. If I bagged or didn't cover her nil, they would win. It was exciting right down to the last card.

The guides love to play, I am sure we could arrange something like that again in the future if the players wanted it.