Does Practice Make Perfect?

p0is0ned_fl0wer
Active Poster

Post by p0is0ned_fl0wer » Wed May 02, 2007 2:16 pm

Can we get a pay for side to the site? So we can put money where our mouths are?

Dead Presidents
Active Poster

Post by Dead Presidents » Wed May 02, 2007 2:22 pm

Its not an attack, its an agressive debate.
Spades is a beautiful thing.

Galt
Grand Master

Post by Galt » Wed May 02, 2007 6:59 pm

Actually, the book has produced numerous live tourney winners. If you had ever perused my website, you would have seen some of my readers' accomplishments listed there. I stopped adding to the list 4 or so years ago because it seemed to be getting redundant. To save the trip, here is that list:

2003 ZONE SWEETHEARTS TOURNAMENT:
1ST Place and $1,000 Cash Prize! (You can see Kelly's reveiw on the site)

NASHVILLE 2003 LIVE TOURNAMENT:
1ST Place

ZSTOC (Zone TOC):
1ST Place

ATLANTA, 2001 LIVE TOURNAMENT:
1ST Place (I was there and proud to watch it happen)

LAS VEGAS, 2001 LIVE TOURNAMENT: (my original webmistress)
1ST Place "Main Event Cash Prize"

ZONE CLUB CHALLENGE:
1ST and 2ND Place out of 125 teams

ZONE CLUB CHALLENGE:
2ND and 3RD Place out of 114 teams

ZONE CLUB HONORS:
(11 games among the Zone's very best)
1ST and 3RD Place

IGAMES TOC:
1ST Place

Flower, my comments were not directed at you. I am sure that you are an excellent player and that you have earned every bit of it.

My comments are soley directed at DP, who also obviously is an excellent player. Here is the rub, however.... and trust me, this is not the first time that I have seen this.

If someone is going to come into a Spades forum and present himself or herself as an expert or teacher. he or she had better make sure that the statements that are made are supportable, and that that person has done his homework. The simple fact that I had to copy/paste the above list proves exactly my point.

Teaching Spades is a very very difficult endeavor. The primary problem is that of overcoming skeptism. If someone is going to present himself as an expert, and then make the comment that he does not think that Spades books help players become better players (and by the way, 1700 may not mean anyting to you DP, but it sure means something to someone who has spent years at 1500. I also know that one of my readers going from 1500 to 2200 in the Zone in a matter of months sure meant something to him.... that info as well is on the website), he should have some basis on which to make that statement other than a feeling in his stomach.

The reason is that somebody may just listen to that and as a result miss out on the chance to become the best Spader that he can be.

Any of you remember Spooky Tooth? I miss the guy and wonder where he is. Anyway, I went through way worse with him here in this forum. He finally accepted my challenge, bought the book, and became one of my biggest supporters. We ended up with a great deal of respect for each other, and that is a very good thing.

The important thing, however, is the following. If you want to be an expert, and one with any credibility, you have to pay your dues. I started teaching Spades 9 years ago. I have been holding online Spades classes for 6 years, as well as having had the privilege of contributing feature articles for several years to Joe's widely read monthly column at the Zone.

I wrote my own monthly column for the largest Spades club in the Zone.
I have sold thousands of books since 01, and my book is consistently rated in the top 2 or 3 % of all books sold on Amazon. If it didn't work, that would not be the case. All authors have something useful to contribute to the game. Joe has done much for the game and so has Steve.

My book has been endorsed by not only HW, but the Zone, Gaming Peak, Dolphin Cove, and previously the Zoo until they seemed to stop endorsing anything.

Books are not necessarily written for 2100 rated players, although I am proud to have many that high or higher in my reader family. Not everyone will become a Spades master no matter how much of an investment he makes in his game. Almost everyone can, however, become significantly more successful if he is willing to put ego aside and be open to ideas.

As far as knowing HW, I do not know how long you have been playing here, but I have been here for about 10 years. At one time I simultaneously held the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th highest rated nics (out of that time about 12K if I recall), and that was accomplished playing only team games with lobby pards. I have a pretty good idea of what goes on here and what does not.

I am only asking that care be taken when making statements that may, at the time seem innocuous, but really can do harm. Some of us work very very hard at trying to leave this game a little better than how we found it. If you are willing to take players under your wing, that is laudable. Some players learn better by playing or watching, and others, many others, learn better by reading. That is a proven fact.

mrhammy
Active Poster

Post by mrhammy » Thu May 03, 2007 12:44 pm

OK, You convinced Me. I got plenty of reading time anyway, and have found however I learn something, its just a plus in life. Taking directions and listening are two ways Ive found that are a must. How can I get ya book Galt?

Galt
Grand Master

Post by Galt » Thu May 03, 2007 1:52 pm

That is very kind. I sent you a private message.

Sweetness n Light
Noob

Post by Sweetness n Light » Thu May 03, 2007 5:32 pm

Yep Mr Hammy, that got me too !!

In my ignorance, I could continue to practice practice practice making the same mistakes over and over until i was perfectly ignorant

or

I could read up on strategies, open my mind and learn !!

But hey i expect to be making a whole lot of new mistakes on that journey!!

Cheers
Sweetness n Light

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Thu May 03, 2007 6:22 pm

/me brings in more cookies and says good job all :)

Hugs and Smiles

I am woman I am strong

mrhammy
Active Poster

Post by mrhammy » Mon May 07, 2007 2:06 pm

Ah, cookies, a good book, and a lil sweetness with lite, life is good. :D

mrhammy