Quitters

Cronides

Quitters

Post by Cronides » Fri May 04, 2007 1:38 pm

Quitters are such a bane to good games, there should be more of a penalty for them to disuade the practice. I see in the rules that a quitter never recieves credit for the win, but I've never seen it in the chat display when they leave....if more people were to see it in writing, they would be better warned and hopefully convinced more not to do it. That information should definately be added to the chat window when someone quits, in addition to their warning to leave the room. Secondly, the loss penalty should be more severe....say double the rating loss, or even an arbitrary point docking.

Surely, I'm not the only one that feels strongly about the quitters....anyone else like to chime in?

Mompsu
Big Poster

Post by Mompsu » Fri May 04, 2007 2:19 pm

Maybe..

For every Quitting these nasty peeps should get some avatars or Fooms less , and receive em back after, lets say 15 games? :P ~

Shiney~
Why the oldtime Players leave Hardwood.. Think about it, will ya !!!!

Galt
Grand Master

Post by Galt » Fri May 04, 2007 4:02 pm

I would imagine that in only a very small percnetage of all quit games does the quitter think that his team has a chance to win, so I am not sure how much making the punishment more noticeable would help.

I agree with you both, however, that quitting, or at least a pattern of quitting, should be costly.

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Fri May 04, 2007 4:34 pm

There is in everyones profile for all to read a quit percentage, many players look at that (Host of table) when someone joins, if the quit percentage is too high they will kick them from the table. In essence handling it themselves.

Also if their quit percentage gets to high they can't join V games until they get it back on the low side.

Now with everything else, they can simply change nicks, or make a new one, etc. But, very few quitters want to go to the trouble. And far more players like the idea of having unlimited nicks, for this to be changed.

The best thing you can do when someone quits is ask for a sub, and watch when you set tables that the people sitting at your tables don't have a high percentage of quits in their profile.

No one likes quitters, no one likes cheaters, however if we don't let them destroy our fun we are the winners and they are the losers. Its only when they get you all upset and see you yelling in the lobby about them being quitters ( that gives them notice, even bad is good to some) that they win and you lose. :)

Say out loud with your fingers off the keyboard #$%#& quitter, and put your fingers back on the keyboard and say into the lobby "SUB PLEASE" odds are you will feel better and they won't get the attention some want.

I am woman I am strong

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Fri May 04, 2007 5:03 pm

Yep monitor can take a lot abuse, words like (*^&%) just bounce right off it.

JUST DUST

PS - Sub Please
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

Galt
Grand Master

Post by Galt » Fri May 04, 2007 6:04 pm

Could you guys please pronounce that for me? Wanna make sure I get it right.

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Fri May 04, 2007 6:10 pm

Ok Galt I yelled it did you hear me? :)

I am woman I am strong

Sassy Katy
Grand Master

Post by Sassy Katy » Fri May 04, 2007 10:38 pm

I don't know if HW can do the same programming, but I have been on other sites where the quitter looses the entire team points for the loss and the partner remaining in the game looses no points. The winning team receives their normals points.

It seems to be fairly effective in deterring quitters if they are at all interested in ratings. However, the ability to reset also diminishes the double loss. If ratings are not allowed to be reset and the quitter takes a double loss, it seems to be fairly effective. Are you willing to request disallowing resetting of ratings for a system like this? Just something to think about.

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Sat May 05, 2007 11:12 am

I cant understand why someone quitting a game bothers anyone.....I dont ever quit a game myself.....but if someone quits a game Im in....it doesnt bother me one bit..... 8)
The Wilderness has answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask.

Figulus

quitters

Post by Figulus » Tue May 08, 2007 12:25 am

In cut throat I had 3 quitters over the weekend and on one of the quitters a sub came in and played and one the game how does this affect the quitter. How does this affect the other 2 players. Now I do know that the sub get nothing from the win as far as rating is concerned but what about the quitter

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Tue May 08, 2007 7:11 am

The quitter gets nothing from a win either, and gets a quit in his/her profile.

Hugs and Smiles

I am woman I am strong

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Tue May 08, 2007 9:15 am

In my opinion I believe that the act of quitting probably has a worse affect (effect?) on partner games and little affect on singles. I understand the frustrations of quits in rooms such as smoots.

The reasons i see it this way is because:

1) In partner games, when 1 person quits, odds are his/her P is going to quit too. Trying to find subs is like pulling teeth.

2) In partner games, if an opponent quits and the other person DOESNT quit, and a new P subs in, words such as "gee pard youre an idiot, I see why your P quit" etc.. are exchanged ALL game long. and with all the different subs which jump in, say this and leave. It isnt a fun experience at all.

3) In partner games, It takes so long to get a game going some days, so after youve waited to be able to make a table because the rooms full, and after youve sat and begged for 2 players to join, And the game FINALLY begins someone up and quitting does tend to get under your skin.
Especially if incidents in #2 above take place.

In singles, it's really unneccesary to dwell on quits/quitters because:

1) their choice of quitting only affects them (in most cases, with the exception of subbing-bots that cover nils lol)

2) If the object is to win the game, and an opponent forfeits (quits) it's one less person to have to beat (bots can be beaten pretty easily)

xox
Hexa
The beauty of a woman grows with the passing years.

Tater
Active Poster

Post by Tater » Tue May 08, 2007 10:23 am

Quitters are the reason the man behind the curtain created bots. IMHO

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Tue May 08, 2007 11:11 am

Bots are for emergency use only, if you can't get a real live sub theyare there to fill in so you can finish a game in progress.

But anytime you can get a player to fill in and sub, that is what you are supposed to do.

I am woman I am strong

Tater
Active Poster

Post by Tater » Tue May 08, 2007 12:56 pm

I must have missed that in the TOS.Image