What's your "deal breaker" in a partner?

Ralphie May
Active Poster

What's your "deal breaker" in a partner?

Post by Ralphie May » Mon May 14, 2007 10:10 am

What is the one mistake a person makes that will eventually make you say "NO more with that person?" And how many times do they have to make that mistake before you cross them off your list of pards?

I will tell you mine is burning a king(when they have other options as to what to lead), and if it happens more then twice after I have talked to them about it I only play with that person if I don't really care to win.

****All you people who are gearing your fingers up to tell me why I should not ever care to win and that this is just a game between friends please save your time and just exit this thread. I am speaking to competitive people who understand the saying "Show me a good loser and I will show you a loser"

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Mon May 14, 2007 10:49 am

For me its a partner that tries to play my hand for me......you know says why didn't you pass spades, during the hand, or why did you play that? during the hand, or after the hand or when the hand is over even constantly berating how I played. I will put up with this about 3 games (depending on how demeaning they behave)

There are nice ways to say (after a game privately) you know pard looking back if when you played diamonds and saw me throw big had you played another diamond I could have trumped and kept the lead for us. Or something like that you know. Helpful things in nice ways not put downs or asking me why I did something that although you don't know it I had no choice.

The other thing I toatlly won't put up with is cheating, or trying to cheat, stalling in timed games, table talking, or IMing me.

Hugs and Smiles
For me it is a game but I do like to win too and I don't like to be berated. :) Thats just not fun.

I am woman I am strong

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Mon May 14, 2007 5:12 pm

Only a couple of reasons I can see burning a King, lone king and looking for pard with the ace and didn't count it anyways and the bid count is 10 or less.

But on the same subject cheating would be top on the list and would not hesitate to turn someone in for asking me to do so. Also as GS said a player trying to play my hand too. Not playing to win (exception social for fun but should going for the win there too). And obviously not paying attention while in a heated battle.

JUST DUST

PS - Yes I do come to this site for the fun of it, but when playing time to put on the serious hat. I never put down a pard, but will offer help after the game has been played.
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

Ralphie May
Active Poster

Post by Ralphie May » Mon May 14, 2007 6:14 pm

I agree with both of you to never put down a pard. I usually don't say anything during the game and rarely after. Unless we talk specificaly about what happened and then I try to say it nicely. Yes, I play for fun but for me it's fun to win.

Galt
Grand Master

Post by Galt » Mon May 14, 2007 11:03 pm

RM, are you referring to leading kings, or opening up a new suit such that your pard's king gets killed?

Ralphie May
Active Poster

Post by Ralphie May » Tue May 15, 2007 11:49 am

I am referring to opening up a new suit such that your pard's king gets killed.

Galt
Grand Master

Post by Galt » Tue May 15, 2007 12:10 pm

That's what I figured.

It's a tough lesson to get across sometimes. For anyone reading this who is not quite clear on this one, one of the two very best ways to kill one of your team's kings is to lead a suit that has not yet been led. You pard will be forced to play 3rd hand high if the Ace is not played by East, and if that means the king it will very likely die.

Depending upon the state of the game, unless you are trying to be very aggressive, try to make leads that protect your pard. In the book I highly recommend leading from suits where you hold the queen. That way, if your pard's king gets killed, your queen will be promoted and take its place.

If you have to lead a new suit and you don't have any queens, try to toss out a Jack or 10. Your pard can at least consider taking a finesse that way in hopes of forcing out the ace while saving the king.

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Wed May 16, 2007 5:45 pm

How is your pard supposed to know that you are holding the K.. Is there some unwritten rule about your first card out? Is this discussed before hand? Does everyone know about this "tall-tale sign" but me?

I tend to play 10's or J's when i have a Q or K and also just in case my Pard has a K in that suit because it's just a safe-play and common sense to me (especially on a bid total of 12 or more)..and id like to find the aces However, and depending on the crap im dealt, Im going to have to play what i have. ya know?

but my question is.. How does your pard know you have the K? Am i missing something here? Is there a certain play indicator that announces "HEY! YOUR P HAS THE K"?

It's been a long time since ive played P's.. Maybe im out of the loop..

xox
Hexa
The beauty of a woman grows with the passing years.

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Wed May 16, 2007 7:01 pm

I think what they are saying Hexa, is if you have the lead stick to the same suit as long as possible, unless of course you have A's you want to play. If you change suits try to play one that has already been played and hopefully the A of that is already gone. Of course depending on your hand you may have no choice but to lead a new suit. :)

I am woman I am strong

Ralphie May
Active Poster

Post by Ralphie May » Wed May 16, 2007 7:46 pm

Lead "as if" your p has the king

Galt
Grand Master

Post by Galt » Wed May 16, 2007 9:46 pm

RM has it on the nose.

Assume that your pard has the vulnerable King in the various suits you are considering. Then make a lead which protects your pard as best as possible.

Joe Andrews
Active Poster

Quality of Partnerships

Post by Joe Andrews » Thu May 17, 2007 6:52 am

On many occasions, I have stated that successful card game partnerships are based on a cohesive relationship between the two partners. The pair who has played together for a long time will have a solid understanding of each other's style, tendencies, and carding. (meaning of specific plays).
They will also have a clear advantage over opponents who have been randomly matched or have played together for a short time. A perfect example of a finely tuned partnership is J Cree and Higgybop. Their record speaks for itself. Another strong pair are the Tomlinson brothers. And this site has a number of pairs who play a high level game.

On the rare occasions I choose to play with a random partner, my first desire is to have fun. (I use one of my "hider" nics) and I observe my (new) partner's bidding style, bagging tendencies, defense, play of the hand, ability to count and remember specific cards, and Nil covering and defending techniques. I don't get upset if my "new" partner muffs a Nil cover, or allows the opponents to make an impossible bid. I don't care if he/she gives up a ruff / sluff, or loses track of the score, trumps my good tenspot on a 12 bid, or makes a bad bid at the end of game. Sometimes, in a lost cause, I will relax, and finish the game, without any great effort. The way I see it, I am playing the first game for "giggles and s---s", as a way to pass some time. If we lose, I say "Nice Game Partner", and congratulate the opponents. If we win, I type in "GGA", and move on. After all, it's only a Spades game!

And....., once I while, I will find a partner, who plays a nice, clear game, and "works" together with me. - A diamond in the rough! This is rather exciting as I want to explore developing a regular partnership. I then suggest that we start as "provies" (1500 rating and new nics). Then we go from there. Conventions are discussed. Opening leads are tuned. Defense is analyzed. We use the "playback" feature of HW to review our plays. And on it goes. Spades is meant to be fun - but - there is always a thrill in playing with a good, congenial partner, -and - winning! :lol:

(not whining!) :oops:

Carry on.....

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Fri May 18, 2007 4:03 pm

Thank you for the replies, info and clarifications :)

xox
Hexa
The beauty of a woman grows with the passing years.

p0is0ned_fl0wer
Active Poster

Post by p0is0ned_fl0wer » Tue May 22, 2007 2:23 pm

My ultimate annoyance is someone that says gg half way through if we are down by so much.. I can't stand people that give up so easily..a reflection on life methinks

Just_Ice
Grand Master

Post by Just_Ice » Sun May 27, 2007 8:28 am

Mine is one who gets angry and cuts others down, whether it be me or the other team. Call others names too often and I'm out.

As far as any plays they make, once they understand the reasons behind a play they usually won't make that play. If the person is reasonable then we will be able to learn from each other. If they are not (and I've found it usually goes hand-in-hand with the temper thing) then we will never be regular partners.