Where oh Where has grandmaS been.........

grandmaS
Grand Master

Where oh Where has grandmaS been.........

Post by grandmaS » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:57 pm

Okay all I know some of you have been wondering, and some have been asking so I decided it was time to tell you where I have been and why you haven't seen me in the games as much lately.

I have/had breast cancer (some may have noticed the pink ribbon on my sig) I had the surgery and I am now doing chemo, which will be followed by radiation.
NO getting upset, I am going to be fine :D but right now the chemo's side effects don't always make it possible for me to be a good guide and I don't want to ever be a bad guide so I just don't come in on days that I don't feel I can do a good job for you.

I will stop in from time to time and give out cookies etc. but as it is it can't be as often as it used to be. Maybe I will see if we can arrange for a blue day now and then when I can stop in with a bunch of other guides and visit you all.

I do still guide from time to time but not like I used to so you may hear of or see sitings of me. And I still do the discussion boards every day and those of you who frequent here see me more often.

Love you all and just to let you know I am fine I will share with you one of my recent events. During our recent snow storms a BIG SUV decided to take a drive over the side walk and through my back yard fence. My 6 year old came running down the stairs yelling Mommy someone is driving in our back yard!!!, I had on jeans a sweat shirt and pooh socks. I ran out the back door as they had backed out and were on the street about to take off, the ground was covered with snow and it was snowing hard, I ran through the backyard, over the broken fence and out into the street. I began yelling "STOP I AM CALLING THE COPS" and I was chasing them on foot down the street. For some strange reason they stopped (I might have looked a tad crazy at that point who knows LOL) and they walked back to me I made the women who had been driving walk back to the house with me and instructed the guy who was with her to drive around front and come in the front door. They did as instructed. I got all their information and they said they would have someone over the next day to fix the fence. I said I won't be home in the morning as I have to go to chemo, they looked a bit surprised. However after they left I did call their insurance company and the police just to file reports in case they didn't follow through.
When I got back from Chemo there were 3 new fence posts up (they wiped out a 20 foot section of 6 foot fence) and the next day the fence went back up. Today I recieved a check from thier insurance company for the kids toys they had mowed over it has been less then a week.

So you see you just can't keep a good grandmaS down (hubby who was a work when all this took place did scold me cause I am supposed to be being careful not to get hurt, and I didn't get hurt but could have)

Keep good thoughts and know that I will beat this, its just another bump in the road, and we all know I can beat those bumps, after all I do carry a BIG WOODEN SPOON. :D

Hugs and Smiles

I am woman I am strong

HW_Martine
Active Poster

love you dear

Post by HW_Martine » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:59 pm

Dear Linda,

Wanna say here in public that I love you for being who you are !

No matter what is in the middle of the road, you handle it with such a great spirit and sense of humour,
that I love you so much for being the way you are !

Lots of hugs,
Martine :-)

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Re: Where oh Where has grandmaS been.........

Post by Primal Instincts » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:16 pm

You just THINK thats a spoon she carries............heh

The Wilderness has answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask.

SybiL
Grand Master

Post by SybiL » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:28 am

Just wanted to give u a big hug, and tell you that if you ever want to talk or yell or whatever you need, just beep and Ill be there.

I had breast cancer, surgery , chemo and radio this past year, so I know how important it is to be strong and stay positive, proud of you for the way you are handling it.

Please remember to count me in for whenever you need a friend. Best of luck to you !

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:14 am

GS didn't tell the whole truth.... it was chasing the Truck, through shards of broken fence, up hill both ways, in the snow with bare feet in a hail of gunfire.........

JUST DUST

PS - can anyone say Superwoman, they just lucky she didn't have a wooden spoon out by the back door....
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:50 am

Hey GrandmaS, I wanted to know if you could come over (its snowy here btw) and chase down the fed ex woman for me, She cut the corner and took out my mailbox, left a cell phone number and begged me not to call fedex on her, However.. She sure is stalling on fixing my mailbox. I even have a pair of snow boots you can borrow, or as your prefer stocking feet for better sprint-traction, i have wool sox just for you :)

Bring your spoon.... ooooh and some cookies

xox
Hexa

Ps.. I posted on the general forum thread
The beauty of a woman grows with the passing years.

mrhammy
Active Poster

Post by mrhammy » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:45 pm

Oh MY....
I do hope you get better soon Grandma. We all know what a tough old..er young lady you are, but geez, take care of yourself and get well. You have been a voice of reason and love for HW for all the years I've been here, just haven't said it before I guess. Without your cookies, HW would be a much sourer place. i don't post much, kinda quiet these days, but hearing that you don't feel well makes me want to call someone I care for, and just haven't done so in a while...for whatever reason. Well, guess Grandma always teaches good lessons. Take care of yourself lady, get well, many people care.

love and respect,

mrhammy :D

X Barbiqute X
Active Poster

Post by X Barbiqute X » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:59 am

Just wanted to say hi and give you a big hug. I, too had breast cancer and had a dble mastactomy done.

I know its not easy but i survived it. My prayers are with you and speedy recovery.

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:24 pm

Thank you all, I have always been an advocate for breast cancer. Reminding people to get squished, I never realized I guess until I got it how wide spread and how many people have it, have had it or have a family member or friend that has.

I waited to tell you all until the tests and surgery was done so as not to put you through any worry. No chemo and radiation aren't fun but can be managed.

I would love it if like Mr Hammy some of you call family members or friends that you haven't talked to in awhile and just tell them your thinking of them. Many women suffer this in silence, my aunt did and until I got it. I nor any of my family even knew she had, had it. In those times it was something no one discussed and no one had a clue how wide spread it was.

Thank you all for your kind words, and for sharing with us that you too have had it for those of you that have. I know myself I wouldn't have probably told all of you had not so many been asking about me and the guides didn't know what to say. I will not hide it, its not contagious all though I look pretty weird at the moment, all my thick beautiful hair is gone. But hey I have wigs that I can be a brunette in the morning and a blond at night LOL.

I hope and pray someday there will be a cure, Breast Cancer runs in familys and I have 3 daughters and 4 grand daughters, my wish for them is that the cure is found

I have Chemo today so I will be gone shortly, but wanted to thank you all for thinking of me, asking about me, and caring. It warms my heart.

Hugs and Smiles
Linda/grandmaS

I am woman I am strong

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:44 am

Well Dusty said have fun with this bald thing LOL soooooooooooooooooooo This is what I wore to Chemo today, its a hat with a hair attachment LOL. Believe it or not I got tons of compliments on it and the hair can come off and go on other hats so, who knows what kind of hat I will have it on next.

No matter what life gives you, you have to try to have FUN with it

Hugs and Smiles
PS hubby shot down at me with the camara so the flash really caught my chubby cheeks LOL

I am woman I am strong

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:52 pm

Love it, looks really good, you may never go back to real hair being able to change it on a whim, wear any kind of hat, paint your head. I think you should get a tattoo even if you decide to go back to hair after the chemo you can always cover it up. Get something cool like maybe a pic of the boys (they can do all kinds of things with Tat's now or you could even get a temp. one. Wow you want to see a pic of my family and just remove your hat and there it is... never have to worry about losing it.

JUST DUST

PS - But really like that look in that pic.
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:18 pm

Hi,
I just wanted you all to know, I made it through Chemo and graduated from Radiation therepy, I am now a cancer survivor and hope to stay that way :)

Thank you all for your kind words, thoughts and prayers.

Any of you who don't make it a regular routine to get checked and yes Squished really need to, the sooner this stuff is discovered the easier it is to cure.

Hugs and Smiles

I am woman I am strong

SybiL
Grand Master

Post by SybiL » Thu May 01, 2008 7:20 am

Great news grandmaS !! I am so very glad to hear you are done with it.

The best of luck in this very new life you got now :wink:

Hugsssss !

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Thu May 01, 2008 8:41 am

Fantastic GrandmaS............never underestimate the power of a Grandma who chases down cars in the snow in her jammies and socks no less... and carries a big spoon.......simply great news......... :D

Hugzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz N Smoooooooooooooches
Luv Ya
Boosh
The Wilderness has answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask.