New Spades Book

Joe Andrews
Active Poster

New Spades Book

Post by Joe Andrews » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:59 am

New Spades Book -

Has anyone had the opportunity to check out the newest published Spades Book -

"Spades - New Way of Playing" - by Janelle Marks ?

Published by "NF" Publishing

It is listed on Amazon.com

Janelle is the 4th Spades Book Published author in the past ten years.

It lists more than 100 different ways to play the game.

Have a great day.......

dustin7609
Active Poster

Re: New Spades Book

Post by dustin7609 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:52 pm

Interesting. Looks like an extremely casual book. Would be nice to see someone put together another book on advanced play, but I doubt we'll ever see it happen. Not enough of a market for it.

Joe Andrews
Active Poster

Post by Joe Andrews » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:15 am

Spades Books

You are right Dustin - the probabilities of another full edition Spades book are NIL (no pun intended)! :lol: The "life" span of a new card game book is 5- 7 years. Sales are usually brisk in the first few years, then taper off gradually.

Unlike Bridge and Chess, Spades is primarily an "on -line" game. Bridge and Chess books seems to have longer life spans, and sell very well at their "live" events, as well as bookstores. Bobby Fischer and Charles Goren are household names! How many times have you been to a Barnes & Noble or Borders bookstores, wandered over to the Games Books section, and seen the variety of Bridge, Chess, Backgammon, Poker and other books? I have sold a lot more books at "live" events, bookstores, and via Bicycle Card Game Company, than on Amazon.com! Still, the internet is a powerful sales outlet for many authors.

I was the first person to write a Spades Book ("Win At Spades- Basic and Intermediate Strategy"), 1998 by Bonus Books, Inc. It was introduced at the "Vegas 99" live Spades tournament in Las Vegas. (March 99). This book sold more than 10,000 copies during the next two years. An updated version was released in early 2000, and then Bicycle Cards (US Playing Card Company) bought the rights. "The Complete Win At Spades" was released in 2001. Because of USPC's distribution and advertising network, my Spades (and Hearts, too) books were assured of success. I am so grateful I did not have to deal with the hassles and endless work of self - publishing. Then again, many authors have been quite successful with taking care of the publishing details of their own books. (and their profits can be larger!) Now we come to Steve and John:

Steve Fleisman wrote two very fine Spades books "Spades For Winners" (2001), followed by "Master Spades". During the same time period, John (Galt) Strichman released his outstanding classic - "How Not To Lose At Spades", which was updated with a second edition is 2003. John is a dedicated promoter / teacher of the game Spades, and advertises his book on several sites. Steve has moved on to other ventures, and I am occupied with Grand Prix Tournaments (Spades, Hearts, Euchre, Pinochle), and work with Cases' Ladder. Steve and John will always be remembered for their efforts.

Now, Janelle Marks (I never heard of her prior to her announcement on Amazon.com for her new Spades "Book".) has joined the "Club". I guess that makes four of us!

Is there "room" for another Spades author? Time will tell.

Will there ever be another full - length Spades Book published? I think the market has been saturated. Then again, there may be some new "strategies and techniques" which have not been written. Perhaps in five years, a new book will be released.......

-And I will be happy to plunk down my ten or twenty dollars, and perhaps, learn somthing new about the great game of Spades. :P

Spadesomniac
Active Poster

Post by Spadesomniac » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:25 am

Well, as someone who is currently studying the books by Galt, Joe and Steve, I do have a suggestion for another book.

How about a Quiz book? There could be three books actually--beginning, intermediate and advanced, with nothing but hands and the question "What would you do'?" The explanation in the answers would be short and sweet.

Yes, other books (including Galt's) give great examples of actual hands and allow you to quiz yourself. I really like that about Galt's book. But I think a book just for the quizzes --only minimal text--could be fun, and a way for those of us who are reading the other books to test ourselves. It could also be a great way to improve communication with your regular partner. You both take the quiz together and then see where your answers differ.

The quiz book could be even more fun it could be done using actual tournament hands which were played by pros. Even better if there is a duplicate hand played by other pros where a different choice was made.

I have experience in writing/publishing so if anyone is interested in doing this but needs help feel free to drop me a PM.