Changes that I think will help

xthemastersithx

Changes that I think will help

Post by xthemastersithx » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:34 pm

These are just some suggestions on what I believe could improve the playing experience in hardwood spades.

1. Change the rating system to show just wins and losses in your name . For example if you have 70 wins and 30 losses you’ve played a total of 100 games and your winning percentage is 70%. Having this will do a multitude of things. First you will no longer need to set tables for 1600, 1700, etc… weak players will now be able to play with strong players and in time it will force the weaker players to play better, they will learn from the better players and adapt. This will bridge the gap between 1900 tables that are set with the 1500 tables. This will force the bad players to play good and the good players to play great. If a high rated(65%-70%) player losses a game this will not hurt their record because it’s just one loss. Secondly, if you change the rating system then it will allow anyone to sit at any table and hopefully this will reduce the amount of lobby rats that just sit in the lobby looking at lobby chat.

2. Allow each player to just have ONE name. Here’s what having one name will improve. Right now it’s easy for a player to be rude to their partner or opponents because they don’t care what people think of them. They talk a lot of trash and then go change their name and do the same things over and over and over again. If we all were allowed just one name then we’d think twice about what comes out of our mouths. If we have the rating system that I suggested then there will only be a need for just one name, because players will work very hard to get that name to a percentage that best reflects their level of play.
Allowing us to be able to create an unlimited amount of names does just takes the fun out of the game. Players want a challenge and there is no challenge once you set a 1900 table you have to wait forever to get players to come sit. They’re either too scared to lose their 1900 rating and there are usually very few 1900 names sitting in the room in the first place.

3. Revise what timeout should be. Timeout should be changed to “Timer On” instead. Every table should be set so that you can not see your cards until it’s your turn to bid. As the host you have the option to have the “Timer On” or “Timer Off”. Having “Timer On” means that you have a limited amount of time to bid your hand and you have a limited amount of time to play a card, but every table should be set so that you cant see your cards until it’s your turn to bid.

4. Disallow us to use fooms during bidding and play of each hand. I’m not saying that people are cheating but isn’t it a little funny when there are three cards left to play and the person who is nil fooms their partner to let them know that they made their nil? Or what about when someone bids one and then they zap themselves? Is that good table manners? Allow us to use our fooms between the last card played and the before we bid the next hand. Have like a 5 second window between hands to allow us to foom.

5. Please do something about the durn 8 and 9 nils that are popping in the games every other hand. This is very frustrating. I have been playing spades for 18 years and I’ve never seen soooooo many big nil hands like that in “live” card playing. I don’t even have to say much about this.

6. Why do we need blue seats and red seats?

7. How about separating the rooms. Put each variation of spades in their own rooms. Some nights I cant get into the partners room because there are 300 people in the room and more than have of them are for pass two. If you separate rooms this will make it easier. People are figuring it out that they can get their names rated faster by just playing pass two because it’s a quicker game. The serious card players are falling off the face of the earth because of pass two, blind nils and mooning.

I love hardwood spades and I want everyone to have fun, but the pass year it seems like the quality of players are going downhill. I just would like to see the owners of this site consider what I’m saying. I only put these suggestions in here not to be a know it all but to try and help the game and improve the experience that I have when I’m playing.

Will you please make some changes Jonas?

HEXA
Grand Master

Re: Changes that I think will help

Post by HEXA » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:19 am

I am not Jonas, But i have a few comments about your post, (and its an open forum) because youve mentioned changes which would affect me.I dont necessarily agree with a few of them
1. Change the rating system to show just wins and losses in your name . For example if you have 70 wins and 30 losses you’ve played a total of 100 games and your winning percentage is 70%. Having this will do a multitude of things. First you will no longer need to set tables for 1600, 1700, etc… weak players will now be able to play with strong players and in time it will force the weaker players to play better, they will learn from the better players and adapt. This will bridge the gap between 1900 tables that are set with the 1500 tables. This will force the bad players to play good and the good players to play great. If a high rated(65%-70%) player losses a game this will not hurt their record because it’s just one loss. Secondly, if you change the rating system then it will allow anyone to sit at any table and hopefully this will reduce the amount of lobby rats that just sit in the lobby looking at lobby chat.
Some of us have made HW a 2nd home. We've been here since it began, and we've made life long friendships which carry over into our lives outside of HW. Your idea of just wins and losses recorded (no 2nds or 3rds) Isnt a bad idea, But i just dont think it would stop this "lobby rat" from mingling in the lobby with her many dear friends. I care more about having fun with my friends, playing games with them than i do about the rating system as a whole, myself. Any changes SCE made to the rating system, including your suggestion, wouldnt bother me abit.Hey It might be pretty cool to try.
ps.. I stay in gnomes where it is never full, so it cant be said that im taking up space in smoots forcing others to go to the next room to play, and yes i do play games too.

One more thing, and i dont really care about ratings myself, but in my opinion for those more serious players, I dont necessarily agree with clumping 1900 rated players with 1500 rated players, because in reality some people
are just better at playing certain games than others. Whether it be more practice, or whatever the reason, all you may accomplish is exploding the ratings of those 1900 players to even higher ratings as they constantly win games against 1500 rated opps (and theyre going to win). Also, it isnt going to be fun for a 1500 rated player to be in competition with someone far greater at the game then he. The way the rating system is now, it allows for more choices of ratings of your opps. It uses your 2nd and 3rd place wins and losses to help determine exactly where you sit. As a player gets better and moves up the bracket, he plays a different set of opps as the table settings have more choices. If someone wants to play against a wider variety of ratings, all at one table, and especially to better himself, maybe they should try tourneys where the tables are set to allow anyone, and you never know the actual rating of the person you play against.. Including clumping 1900s and 1500s together.

To be honest, and in my oipinion, A change which might be beneficial may be to have a MAXIMUM rating to join, along with the minimum. That would eliminate 1900 players from being able to sit at a table of 1500 players. We have minimum ratings to join a table, but nothing stops a much better player from sitting a table and taking advantage of 3 worse players.
Except the legal kick feature :wink: which causes chaos by those who take it's use personally. (thats a different can of worms we'll discuss at a later day)

2. Allow each player to just have ONE name. Here’s what having one name will improve. Right now it’s easy for a player to be rude to their partner or opponents because they don’t care what people think of them. They talk a lot of trash and then go change their name and do the same things over and over and over again. If we all were allowed just one name then we’d think twice about what comes out of our mouths. If we have the rating system that I suggested then there will only be a need for just one name, because players will work very hard to get that name to a percentage that best reflects their level of play.
Allowing us to be able to create an unlimited amount of names does just takes the fun out of the game. Players want a challenge and there is no challenge once you set a 1900 table you have to wait forever to get players to come sit. They’re either too scared to lose their 1900 rating and there are usually very few 1900 names sitting in the room in the first place.
This isnt the case for everyone with multiple nics. I have hundreds of HW names, They all model after my favorite songs, I use the same avatar for each one and my Real name is always in the profile, I assure you they are not to hide behind and talk trash, I am just a lobby rat afterall. Btw.. no one I know who has multiple nics use them as a disguise to be rude to people, they are all made in fun, and they are the same nice person no matter which nic they chose to play with.

Anyone who is being rude to others should be reported by those players, it doesnt matter how many names they have they are all linked on one isp in that players account, SCE will handle them.If a person has the personality to be rude and talk trash, and i know there are those who do that and i agree with you, but i dont think forcing them to use just one nic is going to stop that, some people are just mean regardless.

3. Revise what timeout should be. Timeout should be changed to “Timer On” instead. Every table should be set so that you can not see your cards until it’s your turn to bid. As the host you have the option to have the “Timer On” or “Timer Off”. Having “Timer On” means that you have a limited amount of time to bid your hand and you have a limited amount of time to play a card, but every table should be set so that you cant see your cards until it’s your turn to bid.

Ive set both timed out and not timed out, and if i remember right the cards are all face down until your turn to bid. It didnt use to be this way, but in the lastest game i played, a no timed out setting, i noticed the cards were face down until i bid.
Someone who knows more will have to input here, but as far as i know, and i could be wrong, i think the cards are always face down now.

4. Disallow us to use fooms during bidding and play of each hand. I’m not saying that people are cheating but isn’t it a little funny when there are three cards left to play and the person who is nil fooms their partner to let them know that they made their nil? Or what about when someone bids one and then they zap themselves? Is that good table manners? Allow us to use our fooms between the last card played and the before we bid the next hand. Have like a 5 second window between hands to allow us to foom.
Some of us are here just for the foom. :lol:

"It isnt good table manners to zap yourself after youve bid one?" What?? lol

5. Please do something about the durn 8 and 9 nils that are popping in the games every other hand. This is very frustrating. I have been playing spades for 18 years and I’ve never seen soooooo many big nil hands like that in “live” card playing. I don’t even have to say much about this.
I find this in pass games ALOT, This is one reason why i refuse to sit at Pass games. Its a constant nil session, in my opinion. Not to mention to me it is a handicap.Try playing NO PASS games, the nils are fewer and the competition is greater. I agree with you here tho, constant nilling is annoying!!! Id much rather see games where the bid count is 12 or 13 everytime and everyone is bidding their hand and struggling to make their bid and set the opps.
6. Why do we need blue seats and red seats?
[/quote][/quote]

I like purple and pink myself.. I vote for a change too.

On a more serious note, the seats are color coded for ease of finding where youd sit, it's really easy to tell
a newbie where to sit if you can associate the team play with "the red team" and "the blue team"

lol i have to ask you... Do you really have a problem with colored seats??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In conclusion, I agree HW needs to make some changes, But i dont think forcing people to use ONE nic, taking fooms-use away, or limiting it (which btw foom is one neat thing that draws trial members to purchase), and no longer color coding seats are among those changes needed. Smoots has always been an eyesore, in my opinion, and im sure many things need done there. That's probably why i never frequent it.

I agree The environment has changed here, It almost seems as though someone sent out invitations to a lot of Rif Raf, or Children and gave them a discount to join. I see some pretty discusting nics, and profiles too. I hardly see guides anymore (or i see the same 1 or 2 doing all the guiding, and things go on right under their noses, unfortunately some of the best guides are hanging in hearts or euchre and never come to mingle with us in spades anymore :( ), and people are getting away more with things we adults dared not say just 3 years ago here. People are getting by with demeaning others in the lobby, such as "dont play with so and so because they are a loser" and "so and so are playing teams in singles" and "Dont play with so and so they are a quitter" We regulars (lobby rats) who remember when such a thing wasnt tolerated are forced to react to this by inviting the demeaner to use his mute button, or to just simply grow up, because the sky isnt falling! I really could go on and on here about how the HW atmosphere has changed since i first joined, the changes are for the worse.

ps.. But in defense of the guides, I think id be fed up with answering calls of grown adults over "he pushed me" or "she kicked me" lol id be hiding too!! Ive seen some pretty petty crud coming from adults lately. A person really feels stupid after theyve helped hunt a guide down to help a player who is calling for one, and come to find out it its because someone was calling them names, you just wish you would have known why, and then told them to use mute, file a report, and move along like an adult, instead of bothering a guide. :roll: No wonder theyre hiding

Edited to add..
We havent had an update in a VERY long time, what about some new features???

(Thanks for the PM i received, i forgot about this)
The beauty of a woman grows with the passing years.

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:01 pm

HEXA wrote:
I agree The environment has changed here, It almost seems as though someone sent out invitations to a lot of Rif Raf, or Children and gave them a discount to join. I see some pretty discusting nics, and profiles too. I hardly see guides anymore (or i see the same 1 or 2 doing all the guiding, and things go on right under their noses, unfortunately some of the best guides are hanging in hearts or euchre and never come to mingle with us in spades anymore :( ), and people are getting away more with things we adults dared not say just 3 years ago here. People are getting by with demeaning others in the lobby, such as "dont play with so and so because they are a loser" and "so and so are playing teams in singles" and "Dont play with so and so they are a quitter" We regulars (lobby rats) who remember when such a thing wasnt tolerated are forced to react to this by inviting the demeaner to use his mute button, or to just simply grow up, because the sky isnt falling! I really could go on and on here about how the HW atmosphere has changed since i first joined, the changes are for the worse.

ps.. But in defense of the guides, I think id be fed up with answering calls of grown adults over "he pushed me" or "she kicked me" lol id be hiding too!! Ive seen some pretty petty crud coming from adults lately. A person really feels stupid after theyve helped hunt a guide down to help a player who is calling for one, and come to find out it its because someone was calling them names, you just wish you would have known why, and then told them to use mute, file a report, and move along like an adult, instead of bothering a guide. :roll: No wonder theyre hiding

Edited to add..
We havent had an update in a VERY long time, what about some new features???

(Thanks for the PM i received, i forgot about this) [/b][/color]
I agree Hexa.....HW isnt much fun anymore.........not like it used to be......and I only see a couple of Guides working their tail ends off trying to watch over and make 800 to 1000 players happy at a time( I would buy them dinner if I was close enough....they know who they are)......cant be done......and then rooms get left unattended for days or weeks except for maybe an occasional visit and all hell breaks out and people get sick of it and leave because of all the fighting and players doing and saying whatever they please........and the staff at Silvercreek get bombarded with reports and PM's from players askin for help....Detected a bit of sadness in ya post Hexa....
The Wilderness has answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:33 am

I have to say I agree with HEXA on the proposed changes, not that that is a bad thing. I see the reasons also for the way the rules are now. The pass 2 games I also will not play for the same reason it becomes a "nil war" and where I have seen the big hands frequently. As far as the RED and BLUE seats... I prefer BLACK and BLUE but as pointe out it is more for the new players here to ID a pards game and who should sit where.

I know we could use more help, but I also know a lot of us put a lot of time in. Guides also have lives and this is not their real job for the most part. I myself work anywhere from 40 to 100 hours a week depending on what's going on in the network, pushing out upgrades, replacing servers, replacing PC's, whatever. We seem to be in a continuous upgrade forever since techn. changes so quickly now compared to what it used to be 15 years ago. From upgrades being every few years to every 6 months. If you saw the number of severs/PC's we basically throw away every month you would cry.

There are no easy solutions to having the coverage for all the rooms in all the games 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Part of it takes for people to realize that this is "A GAME" meant to be fun, nobody dies when it ends, nobody loses money, nobody has to give up their first born. What you get is a few ratings points if you win and lose a few if you lose.... HINT: Ratings points will not buy food, will not make you KING, will not get you a Mercedes, will not make someone fall in love with you, will not make you special..... and a whole lot of other things it WILL NOT DO. Best thing everyone can do is treat is as such, a GAME, some you win, some you lose, shake hands and say GG, would you like to play another? Why resort to calling someone a name, and then they call you a name, that's how kids act. If you don't like the player, yell at your monitor, takes much longer to type it out and you don't have to worry about misspelling it.

JUST DUST

PS - /me Ogre goes back to swamp to play with the crocs for a while. Hey if you have it in you to be a guide, say so, but be serious about it, you have to follow the site rules, be fair and able to handle some abuse, because you will get it.
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

Vidurr
Active Poster

Post by Vidurr » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:42 am

There are some very visible players in HW that reularly prey upon the newbies, provs and low rankers (no offense intended).

Why would a 1720 kick a 1500+ at an established rated table and then allow a 1240 to sit and play?

Oh....the 1720 got 9 points for the easy win.

The 1720 also gloats over their 55 - 5 won loss record.

I've said this before:

The table settings need to be restricted to a range around the host. 1720 to 1240 a 500 point difference in one direction is too much.

I would recommend 100 - 200 points difference for the table settings. That would force 1720's to play 1600 to 1800.

It's a shame what some people are doing, not only for ratings but for their win percentage.

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:21 pm

Rating arguements have been a bane for HW since I can remember.....I have watched players come in and start boasting in the lobby how great they are and get the whole lobby into a fight......Even had a player boast about his 1629 rating with 2600 games played and he was BOSS.......I wanted to tell him I had PROVIES almost as high but then I would be just like him......But it does start fights quickly......

I often thot that if they got rid of the rating system and just kept the stat portion in the profile that it would eliminate a lot of lobby fights and ingame squabbling and name calling and even reduce the need for a guide....in that aspect anyway.......but its Silvercreeks choice and it is an attractant......its just too bad a few bad apples do indeed spoil the whole bunch.....

I learned to shut em up on the game table....and if they played well and beat me.....I always said "Nice Win".......I dont care about ratings at all....I only bring my high nics in to play my friends with high nics......simply for their company.....but I never see them anymore in HW so I play provies a lil more often.....
8)

Galt
Grand Master

Post by Galt » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:12 pm

I have hardly been around for all of the reasons mentioned.

The level of quitting, fighting, trash talking, not knowing whom I was playing or parding, etc., got to the point of making it an unenjoyable experience a high enough percentage of the time that I just don't have the energy for it.

I think that the changes mentioned are worth consideration, but my biggest recommendation, and it is the same one that I make to every single gamesite, is that people get one and only one chance to be significantly uncivil.

Get rid of the troublemakers on a permanent basis, and the troubles go away permanently.

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:15 pm

Detected a bit of sadness in ya post Hexa....

Yea, i'm a bit sad sweetie.

xox
Hexa

Ps.. Dust youre one of those guides we miss getting to chitty chat with or play with over in spades :) Please dont take my post to mean that i meant anything bad about you dear. What's a hardwoodian got to do to get to play with ya, come to hearts?? Have ya seen my hearts game... lol it's laughable.

Just_Ice
Grand Master

Post by Just_Ice » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:58 am

HEXA wrote:

Ive set both timed out and not timed out, and if i remember right the cards are all face down until your turn to bid. It didnt use to be this way, but in the lastest game i played, a no timed out setting, i noticed the cards were face down until i bid.
Someone who knows more will have to input here, but as far as i know, and i could be wrong, i think the cards are always face down now.
HEXA, if this is the case, it's a welcome change. I was unaware that they changed this. I'll have to look for it.

But, I'm still running build 32. I have tried multiple times and multiple ways to get the latest build (which I believe is 39) but have been unable. Any ideas?

Thanks!

p0is0ned_fl0wer
Active Poster

Post by p0is0ned_fl0wer » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:38 am

Allow each player to just have ONE name: This is the main change that needs to be done with HW is the limiting of nics. I think one may be pretty extreme..other game sites tend to allow you to have around 3 nics per user...which seems
fair to me.I admit I have 100's but would still be overjoyed to see this change. I know many people with 1900+ nics that sit on them like trophies while building another provi nic in attempts to get to the oh so coveted 20-0 . Frankly I find this pathetic to the max. I see the same people consistently resetting and resetting day in day out...of course each to their own.. but why not play up to your level? If you limit the amount of nics a person can have they will be forced to play their "best" nics .You WILL see an increase of higher games as this will be forced.. you WILL see people improve and move through the ranks.. you WILL get a better definition of what it means to be in the TOP 25/50/100 whatever. Rankings will mean something.

Revise what timeout should be.
Just_Ice wrote:
HEXA wrote:

I'm not 100% sure if this is the case..I know it used to be that with no timer.. cards were seen on the deal prebid.. I refuse to play without timer so perhaps I have not noticed the changes . If that is the case.. great..I do not like to be able to see my cards prebid.

Change the rating system to show just wins and losses in your nameI think you will find that if you limit the amount of user nics that this will not be necessary. People will play at their "real" rankings.. there won't be any of this 1800 players beating up on 1400 players.

Disallow us to use fooms during bidding and play of each hand
I agree that at times people do use fooms for "signalling" but fooms are one of HW's charms and unique selling points compared to other sites.I personally do not foom during a hand in play only after or at the start or beginning of the game.But this is all about etiquette a well mannered person would or should realise that fooming joy half way through a nil is not really acceptable..but then again i've had people say half way through a nil "i'm good p" which is kinda worse..lol

Please do something about the durn 8 and 9 nils that are popping in the games every other hand Card distribution has always been a bone of contention. You deal with it .Sometimesyou are the bug sometimes the windshield.We tend not to complain so much hen the cards are on our side and usually games even out in the end.
[b
Why do we need blue seats and red seats?[/b] i'm not sure colour really makes a difference.. North South East West.. it's all the same

How about separating the rooms
We have this already to an extent..it doesn't work.. Smoots is like an old comfy chair.. everyone congregates there.. once again limit the user nics and you won't get this mad influx of provi pass 2 tables
"There is no such thing as equal"

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:47 am

Sorry Ice, Id love to see some more updates made available again too. I looked around for some too, checked the websites, i even checked the software before sign in etc.. Nothing. We could sure use some updates, and those builds that some have and others dont need to be made available to all of us again!!

Allow each player to just have ONE name: This is the main change that needs to be done with HW is the limiting of nics. I think one may be pretty extreme..other game sites tend to allow you to have around 3 nics per user...which seems
fair to me.I admit I have 100's but would still be overjoyed to see this change. I know many people with 1900+ nics that sit on them like trophies while building another provi nic in attempts to get to the oh so coveted 20-0 . Frankly I find this pathetic to the max. I see the same people consistently resetting and resetting day in day out...of course each to their own.. but why not play up to your level? If you limit the amount of nics a person can have they will be forced to play their "best" nics .You WILL see an increase of higher games as this will be forced.. you WILL see people improve and move through the ranks.. you WILL get a better definition of what it means to be in the TOP 25/50/100 whatever. Rankings will mean something.
If you limit a player to 3 nics, they can still reset those nics, they can still covet 2 of them. You will not be forcing "higher games" A person can still do as you described whether they have 3 or 1900.

"rankings will mean something".. This is subjective

I think you will find that if you limit the amount of user nics that this will not be necessary. People will play at their "real" rankings.. there won't be any of this 1800 players beating up on 1400 players.
Until there is a MAXIMUM rating to join, nothing stops an 1800 player from joining 1400-1500 set games. Limiting nics, etc is not going to deter this.
once again limit the user nics and you won't get this mad influx of provi pass 2 tables

There are many reasons people set and play provisonal games and they have little to do with how many nics a person has, some reasons are.. Your Partner doesnt have an established nic and you want to play with them, You are playing with a newbie to introduce them to the site, and then there is the 10% quit ratio where an established nic with at least a 10% quit ratio, we are told, is forced to play a set amount of provisional rated games to redeem themselves. And how about the attitudes? I find provisional games, with provisional players go much smoother, and are sometimes more enjoyable to me than playing at a table with my established nics at an established table with esteblished players, where you have smug and coy players. I just want to have fun when playing, and play with fun people, Ratings mean nothing to me.

You are not going to stop provisional games from being set by limiting nics, Reset is still a person's option, whether he has 1 or 1000 nics...Also nothing stops an established player from setting a "non established anyone plays-provisional game" because there is no MAXIMUM settings, as i stated before, we have only minimum requirements to join games. Any rated player can still set games and play below their rating, and play provisional too. If you are a 1400 rated player, check the ratings of the people at the tables before you join, if you dont want to play with 1800 players in provisional games, or 1400+ settings made by 1800 ranked players, dont sit.
If one joins your game.. KICK is a legal and useful tool. Despite what some people's opinions are about kick, it is a tool that was created for you by HW to allow you to kick a person you do not want to play with before the game starts. Any uproar about it's use in the lobby is silly, a person should not take the use of KICK personally. You do not have to play with anyone you dont want too when you host a game. You can be just as choosey about what tables you decide to join.

Limiting nics to 3.. And what of those people that have lots of nics already? Do you think HW is going to take away your use of 97 of your nics and leave you with 3 of THEIR choice? Not Likely. So it wouldnt be fair to make a new rule anyone who joins HW now can only create 3 nics.. Meanwhile hundreds of people are running around with hundreds of nics, and anyone new has 3. This is very unlikely to happen. It's a change which I dont see coming.

ps.. Have you been around long enough to remember the change HW made to creating nics? @ 4 years ago or so they changed the nic creations to limiting you to 16 charecters... What an uproar!

xox
Hexa

p0is0ned_fl0wer
Active Poster

Post by p0is0ned_fl0wer » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:15 pm

If you limit a player to 3 nics, they can still reset those nics, they can still covet 2 of them. You will not be forcing "higher games" A person can still do as you described whether they have 3 or 1900.

"rankings will mean something".. This is subjective
Everything in HW is subjective. Yes sure you can still reset those nics.. You may do whatever you like with your nics.. reset them/trash them/give them away but if you are limited to 3 nics (and obviously this is only an example) then those 3 nics will be most cherished. We would not treat them lightly like we do now..If this were to happen and 3 nics were the limit..it stands to reason the majority of players will choose their 3 highest. The chances of player with a 1900 nic is not going to pass this up for a provi nic. That would make no sense whatsoever..If everyone were right this minute told they could only have 3 nics you would see a VAST increase in the higher ranking nics in HW. That is guaranteed.

Until there is a MAXIMUM rating to join, nothing stops an 1800 player from joining 1400-1500 set games. Limiting nics, etc is not going to deter this.
Again, agreed there is nothing stopping that 1800 player playing against a 1400-1500 or lower games. Limiting nics WILL deter this. But as I said before there will be an influx of higher rating games so why should a player feel the need to play lower?

You are not going to stop provisional games from being set by limiting nics, Reset is still a person's option, whether he has 1 or 1000 nics...Also nothing stops an established player from setting a "non established anyone plays-provisional game" because there is no MAXIMUM settings, as i stated before, we have only minimum requirements to join games. Any rated player can still set games and play below their rating, and play provisional too.

Of course Reset is still an option or it is at present,so yes provisional games will always be played. But if you limit nics and even better get rid of the reset button at the same time.. eventually all provi games will be phased out apart from by brand new players.This doesn't stop players setting no ranked of course.. so an already established player can still play with a newbie or lower rated player.. that of course is their choice.Personally I would do away with the reset button too.This is a luxury and a easily over used tool. Most other sites do not have this.
Limiting nics to 3.. And what of those people that have lots of nics already? Do you think HW is going to take away your use of 97 of your nics and leave you with 3 of THEIR choice? Not Likely. So it wouldnt be fair to make a new rule anyone who joins HW now can only create 3 nics.. Meanwhile hundreds of people are running around with hundreds of nics, and anyone new has 3. This is very unlikely to happen. It's a change which I dont see coming.
I gave the random figure of 3 as this was an average of what other sites use. Of course it seems extreme (perhaps not quite as extreme as Just Ices' one) because you are used to being able to make 100's of nics at will. I have been at HW since 2003 so yes I have many nics way too many to count.. I am more than prepared to lose 99% of my nics to ensure what I feel will be better changes for HW in terms of skill and healthy competition. I also remember the uproar of the limiting of 16 letter nics.. I came just after the change of people not being able to reset nics during games and therefore manipulating their ratings. i had no clue what people were talking about as i didn't know that system so it made not one iota of difference to me. Nor would the limiting of user names for any newbie. I remember the cries of protest when victory messages were taken away. People moan for a while then it settles down. The problem is people do not like change in general..better the devil you know.
As to SCE choosing your nics..no that is not likely..HW does not choose them now for you..so it wouldn't if this change were made. the choice would be yours. As to not seeing it coming.. well we tend not to see these things coming until they are upon us.. who knows what the future holds for HW

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:22 pm

If it aint broke......dont fix it.... 8)

p0is0ned_fl0wer
Active Poster

Post by p0is0ned_fl0wer » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:27 pm

Sorry Master Siths request for one nic limit not Just Ice..he he.

As to it being broke.. well that's a matter of opinion. :|

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:05 pm

I can agree on a limit of nics but think 3 is too low and 100 to high. I enjoy being able to create a nic because of a song I like and have remembered for that day or event that I wish to put a name to. If I am now limited and reached my limit am I able to remove some of those names so I can create new ones to replace them or am I stuck? So doing one thing can create new problems while resolving others.

As far as playing 1800 against a 1400 goes I agree if your host you can kick those players from your game (been kicked before, np) or as I see it maybe that 1400 see's an opportunity to learn from that higher rated player and can use replay to see the tactics used on the dealt cards. I like having provie nics for a couple of reasons 1) I'm not a snob about playing anyone, 2) I enjoy teaching others, 3) I like to just have a mellow game, no pressure, no big deal if I mess up... I don't even have to count cards if I don't want to. It's a provie nic, fun nic, invented to relax. ....... yes there is the bad side to this and that IS the predatory players that dwell on the new players or those with less ability.... I call them bottom feeders.... you will always find those that will find a way to take advantage of the disadvantaged no matter what the rules are.

Foom's...... are fooms and here again some take advantage of something that is a bright spot and turn it into a tool to put others at a disadvantage (ok call it cheating). Because of the programming involved in making it a available sometimes during a hand and not at other times I can see why this is not done. It would be a better option to have No FOOMs that you can choose or not choose and if not mistaken you can turn them off along with a lot of other options. I don't turn them off simple because I'm not afraid of someone that cheats, it makes it all the sweeter when I beat you even though you have cheated. Of course once I do find out that you have done this, you won't be playing me again and as far as I am concerned your loss and if you do win, you didn't really win.

Bottom line here is there are a lot of options here that you do not have at any other site that I know of, some good for some reasons some good for other reasons and yes you will always have those that will find a loophole or a way to use it against others to have an unfair advantage, it happens in every kind of game and in real life and we deal with it. I would rather see more avatars, more foom options, new paint on the walls, environments that to make a lot of these rule changes that would make this site like all the rest.

JUST DUST

PS - Just going by what attracted me to this site over the others, If I wanted one user name, no fooms, no kick options (I don't really use this), and many others I would have joined one of them not this one.
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!