Frustrations with 3 Way Cut

Ruby
Noob

Frustrations with 3 Way Cut

Post by Ruby » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:58 pm

I just need to rant a little I think. Lately, I have been so frustrated with Cut. Not the game itself but with the players. Believe me I don't claim to be perfect. I make my mistakes like everyone does, but lately I just can't understand the majority of players in this game.

What I have a problem with is the number of people that are just satisfied to coast along and come in 2nd and not even try for lst. I always try to bid my hand, but lately every bid is either 13 or 14 and then of course you are left with bags. However, every opportunity that I can see to try to set the leader to even up the game is met with frustration. I know that the leader can be set by what I have in my hand and how many tricks he/she needs to make his bid. What happens most often though when I am leading and trying to set, is that the last person will always duck and let the leader get by with making small off suits or low spades and making the bid when if they would just help and try to take a trick or two, then we could set. I know they don't always know this, but I know that 95% of the time, the other player will never try to take an extra trick or go for the set. Once they have their bid made or guaranteed to make, they are content to just coast along and let the leader make tricks and themself sit without bagging. Yes, I bag a lot, but I do try to go for the set when I think it can be made and that is what is frustrating me because unless I can set them alone, then I just can't expect the 3rd person in the game to help. They never do, so what is the point? I don't want to play like them, but I guess that is what I will have to start doing.

I'm sorry, I just don't understand play like this. It is no competition at all. Once a leader is ahead, then the other personin the game will be content to just coast along and not get bags and not try to win the game. I guess I need to quit playing a while, because I just don't understand this type of play. I am competitive and always try to win and I will try to help go for a set, even if means bagging. Once in a blue moon, I will play a game where all 3 are competitive and will go for sets and are not afraid of bags, but I guarantee that it is an exciting game and everyone is trying to win. Not so most though.

Oh well, forgive me if I have ranted, I just had to get it off my chest. Happy Spading.

In2ition
Active Poster

Re: Frustrations with 3 Way Cut

Post by In2ition » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:39 pm

When HW decides to change their rating arrangements, give points to the winner only, and take points from 2nd & 3rd... then the competition will return to the game. Otherwise, HW spades is a bagging game. I'm not saying that i agree with that style of play, but given the option of losing points, or settling for zero... most will settle for the zero. Because of this reason, i'm now a mirrors fan. Let the bid be 13 every time and bag the hell out of em :wink:
Confucious Say : War not determine who is right.... War determine who is left!