Question on game points

fishingwidow
Noob

Question on game points

Post by fishingwidow » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:03 am

If I play a 400 game VS a 300 or 200 game do you win more points for a higher game?? or is it based on who you play and their rating?Or both

WIST
Grand Master

Re: Question on game points

Post by WIST » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:08 am

Here's the information from SCE's FAQ page, on how the point system is determined. Hope this helps:
Online Ratings

How do the ratings work?
The basic idea is that the better place you get, the better it will be for your rating. And it's also important how you and the other players are rated before the game starts. You will earn more for besting a High rated player and conversely lose more to a lower rated player if you finish below them.

If all players are of equal rating you will more or less go up in rating if you are in 1st or 2nd and your rating will go down if you are in 3rd or 4th. The points you receive in the game are not used in calculating your rating just what place you earned in the game. (1st, 2nd. etc.)

Since most everyone players team (partner) games you are rated as a team loss or win. If you are on the losing team you will be compared to the members of the other team as losing to each the reverse is true if your team wins. In that case you would be rated as if you won against the individuals of the other team.
http://www.silvercrk.com/php/faq.html#Cat_6
for what it's worth

Galt
Grand Master

Post by Galt » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:09 pm

A win is a win and a loss is a loss.

BISONWOMAN

Post by BISONWOMAN » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:25 pm

why is that no matter how many games played some players never get beyond, the 1500's?

they have played hundreds of games. yet can't seem to break out of the 1500's? i have watched the advanced players and their skills are not superior to one's of lower ratings.

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:55 pm

I seen a player in Spades the other day who was way over 1700 with LOSING stats.....which just goes to show ya dont judge a player by their rating......check out their stat's..... 8)
The Wilderness has answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask.

Spadesomniac
Active Poster

Post by Spadesomniac » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:19 pm

Primal--

Might have been someone who earned the rating playing cut. His or her partner spades record was losing, but the cut record may have been good.

Spaes

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:22 pm

No partner games in his stats......they were like 40 29 80 112 not EXACTLY but very similar.....dont know if they were all singles stats could have some 3 way games in there........ 8)

Galt
Grand Master

Post by Galt » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:09 pm

The reason that some players ratings never get over 1500 is because they are 1500 players and have a very poor, at best, understanding of the game.

Spades is a very unique game in that:

A player can be playing 5 minutes after having learned the rules. This gives the misleading impression that it is a very simple game, which it is not. Consequently, however, many players never progress past the "learning the rules" level of the game... no reading of Spades strategy forums, no reading of books, no openess to constructive suggestions, and a totally misguided perception that ratings are not related to ability.

The current HW system, as discussed in a separate thread, can tend to feed this grossly mistaken belief due to some cut players having higher ratings, yet very little skill at the regular game.

The problem is that any person who understands the game and skilled play can recognize high level play in a heartbeat, while those who don't and cannot don't realize that they don't and cannot.

If a 1500 player, by watching a skilled player play, could recognize that skil, he or she would not be a 1500 player unless intentionally playing below his or her ability. It is the same selfperpetuating myth that causes unskilled players to believe that skilled players are cheating when they play. As a result of not recognizing either standard or advanced communication techniques, probability, and the risk/reward associated with various possible plays, the conclusion can only be that "these players must be cheating".

It is the same reason why you see a player make a losing bid sitting 4th seat on the last hand of a game, covering his or her pard's Nil when doing so will guarantee a loss, or worrying about bags when getting those bags could easily lead to a win rather than a loss from avoiding them.

Just_Ice
Grand Master

Post by Just_Ice » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:23 pm

I haven't responded in a while, but I just wanted to say, "Amen, Galt."

And, HI!

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:59 pm

Good post Galt......just an example of how I feel your rating should be consistent with your stats below are just 3 of my ratings and stats.....I play only in 4 way.....not sure what this means lol but it strikes me funny some of the ratings I see with losing stats....... 8)

1673......stats.....17- 7 -6 -5
1651......stats.....16-10-11-4
1677......stats.....38-30-29-12

Galt
Grand Master

Post by Galt » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:19 pm

J, you are alive and I hope well!

Sooo nice to see you. Someone asked me about you a couple of weeks back amd it made me think that I should give you a call and see how go you and the family. I will do that soon.

Spadesomniac
Active Poster

Post by Spadesomniac » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:42 pm

Good post Galt.

I was thinking the same thing but didn't quite know how to say it politely.

Personal experience--when I was newish, I observed a few 1900/2000 games. I didn't see anything different there. Now I do. Probably in six months I'll see more stuff I'm missing now.

Just one little example from today's play, since it was funny. In a 1900 game, my pard and I were trying to set a nil. 12 diamonds had been played but not all in consecutive order. My pard led the 2 of diamonds, which was the last diamond.

In 1700 most people defending partner's nil will trump it, since they forgot how many diamonds have been played.

In this game we all basically laughed. Everyone at the table knew that the niller's partner shouldn't trump. He didn't fall into the trap and we were all like, nice try.

Spades

Galt
Grand Master

Post by Galt » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:36 pm

I want to make sure that there is not misinterpretation of my earlier post.

The purpose of playing Spades is to have fun. If any person plays this game, or any other game, at an average level and has a good time doing it, that is fantastic... much better in my opinion than many higher rated players who take the game too seriously.

My comments were directled only toward a quite common perspective that ratings are meaningless, winning or losing Spades (over time) is a function of luck and pards, and that there is nothing that an average player could do to become an above or even far above average player.

Just_Ice
Grand Master

Post by Just_Ice » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:46 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Just_Ice on Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just_Ice
Grand Master

Post by Just_Ice » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:49 pm

Galt wrote: and that there is nothing that an average player could do to become an above or even far above average player.
As far as here and now, and as far as ratings are concerned.

But, one can always study and learn more about Spades, progressing under the assumption they don't know all there is to know about it already.

Clicking cards is fun, but playing certain cards while forcing your opponents to play certain cards is much more fun.

I've been playing now and again... trying to work the kinks out.

Looking forward to hearing from you. The number is the same even though we are in the new house now.

Don't let anyone tell you building your own house isn't a lot of work.