Strategy in 3 way Cut Throat

patchlove
Noob

Strategy in 3 way Cut Throat

Post by patchlove » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:19 am

:oops: Help...lol

Anyone have advice on techniques of setting one or both apponents?..I've just been trounced upon..lol. Bagged and set mercilessly

(sigh)

But I'm willing to learn!
:wink:

Galt
Grand Master

Re: Strategy in 3 way Cut Throat

Post by Galt » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:59 pm

If 2 players gang up on the 3rd, it can be very difficult.

Not saying that it happened in your game, but there has been a lot of collusion in 3-way over the years.

patchlove
Noob

Post by patchlove » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:38 am

Thank you Galt. I haven't caught on quite yet to the strategy that is used. Leading a suit out that I may be counting a King or Queen in while they play "bluff"back and forth ..lol..is one technique I observe. Wait it out and hope to use those cards when trumps play out is all I can think of doing. Usually I get set though.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. Sorry for the delay in adding to the conversation.

WIST
Grand Master

Post by WIST » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:34 pm

Galt wrote:If 2 players gang up on the 3rd, it can be very difficult.
If that's not happening, you're not in cut :wink: . Cut is a game of teams, partners in crime, so to speak. For me, it's the nature of the beast. If i'm in 3rd, i'm teaming up for at least one hand, to try to change that. So i'll work with 2nd place in the hopes of bettering my position. If 1st drops to 2nd and i'm still in 3rd, he/she becomes my new teamie for at least the next hand. And so it goes.

I think half the battle is realizing who you have to be aligned with and when, and knowing when to adjust that alignment. Another part of the battle is to assess early on, if you are in a bagging game (hate em). If i am, i try to adjust by bumping up my bid, surmising that i'll get a gift or two each hand. This can sure work to your advantage, turning a mediocre 5 bid to a 6 or 7. Of course, it can backfire and therein lies the fun of cut :lol: .

Also, a quick mention that in my mind, stragegy changes depending on the game setting (300 VS 400). These are the only 2 settings i play. If i feel like relaxing, i play 300. If i'm in a competitive mood, i'll play 400 (which challenges me more, due to the repurcussions of bags).

I'm not sure this is great advice, since i'll never be a 2000 player, but i play cut almost exclusively.
for what it's worth

Galt
Grand Master

Post by Galt » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:18 pm

That isn't to what I was referring.

The collusion in question is when 2 players enter a game with an understanding that they will try to share first and second place. If they play over and over like that, they avoid losing and just keep getting higher ratings. In other words, A will never attack B and B will never attack A.

There was a lot of a couple of years back. I have no idea what the situation is like now.

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:19 pm

Second place is no gain or loss.....so at some point B is going to want to attack A.... 8)
The Wilderness has answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask.

Galt
Grand Master

Post by Galt » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:50 am

Nope. MIssing the point.

Either A or B will likely have a card advantage due to luck. If you and I are A and B, and you let me do well half of the time and I let you do well half of the time, and we never try to hurt each other, we aimost always get first and second places.

It is the idea behind collusion. You are thinking too much like an honest person.

The idea is to win about half of the time and come in second about half of the time.

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:59 am

Where's the satisfaction in that?
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:39 pm

Deceptive tactics is the best way to win a cut.... "I'll be your friend if you'll be mine... " and then cut their throat as soon as you can before they get you...

LOL

JUST DUST

PS - Sorry just being an Ogre!!!
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

Galt
Grand Master

Post by Galt » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:49 pm

If we all could figure where is the satisfaction in cheating, then we all would have a problem I would think.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:43 pm

Well if we all cheated then it would still come down to the best winning most of the games...

LOL

JUST DUST

PS - Sorry couldn't cheat even if SCE made a room for cheaters only.
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

holland

Post by holland » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:52 am

Patch, I hope you have found some acute angles for attack. There really isn't much to know about spades. It's a simple game of war really. You can save your KQ until spades are bleed, but you better be the one bleeding them to make your bid. One also has to consider their position in the 'bidding' cycle every hand (bidding first sucks with a middle card deal), along with amount of bags one is carrying. I like to be the boss at my tables while pitting the enemies against one another. Controlling a game will get you many wins. Yes I know, one can't control without the right cards.

If you ever want a lesson or still need some coaching, I am willing to help you better your Cut game.

P.S. I love it when 2 opps try and team up on me. Either I take second or they both finish last. I only finish last when I overbid or take chances. Best of 7 anyone?