RUDENESS OF PLAYERS

Sierra_Nevada
Noob

RUDENESS OF PLAYERS

Post by Sierra_Nevada » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:37 am

The last 2 days the vast majority of the games I have been in, I have had to ignore the other players. The rudeness and put downs have been deafening. The last 2 days have made me think that I need to find another source for unwinding, waking up, or just taking a break from reality. I feel I would rather face reality than to deal with the people in the rooms of a game I love. Some of my nics are low, others are high. It doesn't seem to matter which nic I am playing. I know we can report players but most just don't seem to be worth it. I am very frustrated.

I hope I am not violating any posting rules by making these comments. If I am, please let me know. I am just extremelry frustrated and I would like other peoples' thoughts on this issue. :twisted: :evil:

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Re: RUDENESS OF PLAYERS

Post by Primal Instincts » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:21 am

Well Sierra it can be frustrating but dont let it keep from enjoying yourself with the game you love......several options are available to you....one is the "ignore" feature and the second is to locate a Guide and let them handle it or file a report on it and let Silvercreek take care of that player......Everyday we all deal with rudeness....nastiness....massive flooders......etc etc.....its part of the online experience.....those players are the ones that are frustrated for whatever reason...

Or you can simply leave the game and just smile and go play another with new players.....I usually locate a Guide and "voila" problem is solved and I file reports as well.....key here is to NOT let em get to you.....and leave HW......then all we would have is a game full of rude players.......hang in there!...the system works..
8)
The Wilderness has answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask.

Sierra_Nevada
Noob

Post by Sierra_Nevada » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:58 am

Good advice. I normally don't let it get to me but the last two days have been absolutely horrible because it has been so consistent. I am using the ignore feature more and more. The reason I play online is for the interaction. Once that goes, I don't see a reason to play online. There is no reason to be calling other players names. Despite what people say, I am there to have fun. I don't put that much stock into the ratings and can enjoy a game with someone in their 1300's or 1600's. A good game is a good game whatever the rating or whatever the score.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:48 pm

Sierra, there was a cosmic particle shift and the pattern changed by one "bit" mindsets and has resulted in the behavioral patterns you have witnessed in the last few days.... This should only be a temporary thing and "most" brains will shift back by Monday... so just beware until then and you should be able to get some good days after midnight (EST) Sunday.

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

missrose

Post by missrose » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:03 pm

I have been on a lot of spade websites and have never seen the rudeness I have seen on Hardwood spades. I have been a member for a long time. I am constantly called stupid, read the book, your an idiot, etc. This is uncalled for. I like to play spades to relax and this behavior stresses me instead. Silver creek or who ever owns this NEEDS to fix this problem.I am really read to quit because of the rudeness. Thanks for listening.

Galt
Grand Master

Post by Galt » Sat May 01, 2010 9:39 am

It certainly is an epidemic.

One thing that contributs to it, I think, is the following:

Whereas the level of play at HW, on average, had always been a little below that of other sites, over the last couple of years the ability level of the players has dropped dramatically. It is not at all unusual to sit with 17 or 1800 players who are, at best, below average in skill level. This leads to lots of arguing because there are lots of players who believe that they are way more skilled than they really are.

As of a couple of months ago, I made the decision to change my behavior in one respect as a result of what is going on.

Once I sit at a gane I will stay there with my pard, no matter how bad he or she may turn out to be, as long as he or she is being nice.

The first time, however, that my pard starts sniping at me either because he or she does not understand why I am doing what I am doing, or, worse yet, becasue he or she made some significant mistake and then blames the result on me, I just say something nice to the opps and get up and leave.

My time is limited, and I simply made the decision to no longer suffer what I refer to as the HW fool. It's not exactly something to be proud of, but it works better for me than sitting there and putting up with the abuse.

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Sat May 01, 2010 10:10 am

The very last game I ever played in partners was a win but throughout the entire game my partner....which was female......belittled my every move and play......even after we won the game and was in the lobby she went on and on....I simply said to her....you must have a certain winning score percentage to make you happy......have a great day......never played partners again....

Im not sure what makes people tick or understand their mentality when it comes to online card games but my whole take on it is its supposed to be FUN and RELAXING.....all I see is bitterness...rudeness....arrogance......and hostility.....I suppose it would be different in person without the safety net of a monitor and miles between everyone....I think it all boils down to status quo for many who dont have one in real life or any superiority so to speak and its a claim to fame for many.....

I used to argue with some in the lobby years ago and got banned for a day because of it....now I try to ignore it and just send it to the powers that be.....not to sound conceited or toot my own horn but I have a rep in HW as being a nice guy and courteous and respectful to all......I like to win of course but if I dont I dont belittle another player because of it.....or let it effect me in any way.....the real life starts when I click....disconnect......
8)

artful_kitty
Active Poster

Post by artful_kitty » Sun May 02, 2010 12:25 pm

I totally agree primal I've had a lot of hassle and bad things in spades, but now instead of letting it worry me or get into a fight, I just smile to myself and think ... you're either not getting any good cards, in bad mood, or have no life (or all 3 lol) in life there are peeps out there that are miserable and nasty.... feel sorry for them and ignore their rudeness! and there are always guides to help and greeters to help on the way :)
life is too short so relax, have fun and be true to yourself Image]

Sagwa
Active Poster

Post by Sagwa » Fri May 07, 2010 1:23 pm

O M G tell me I didn't read, we are low level=average players? Some of us do not play regular. We prefer pass games,
pass game 5 to 6 hands, 35 minutes. Regular game 1.5 hours 15 to 35 hands.
So, you can't say, you've seen us all play. But, let's move on to the real issue at hand, rudeness.

How do you expect the new players at Hw , and I've helped a bunch; to stay at Hw? No one will talk to them, no one will let them sit! People make snotty comments to them in the lobby, about their rating (2-5) But not one of them, will say,Hey you can set your own game, then no one can kick you. I DO !

I really think Hardwood big boys, need to be more demanding on the TOS rules. I have reported players for swearing in the lobby and in games, I have seen them back, one day, 5 days, 7 days, 14 days later. If it's more than one swear word, reprimand and maybe just maybe they won't do it again.

Spades is so lacking in guides. I don't think this, 3 guides must adopt you or whatever it is you call it , is working.
I have seen many a player say they would like backing, and they are laughed at.
How about you change that to one of the big boys at SCE, check accounts, no bans, no silences and you ask them to volunteer their time?

One other issue that has gotten really really bad. Is all that chat in the lobby. It brings out, lobby people telling people in games, there are no guides, grow up and work it out, you don't need a guide. If they do not play within 10 minutes, boot them. A lot of the lobby arguements and harassment, would stop. (in my opinion of course)

Galt
Grand Master

Post by Galt » Sun May 09, 2010 10:29 am

I sure don't know what pass vs. regular spades has to do with the issue.

There is trememdous rudeness in the lobby as well, but my comments were related only to what I see at the tables.

One may not like to read it, but I can guarantee you that lots of the trouble at the tables comes from players, of all ratings, not really having any idea how to play the game that they are playing.

The level of rudeness and fighting about how cards should have been played is greater here than at any other spades site with which I am familiar. The level of play is also lower than at any other game site with which I am familiar. I do not think that this reality is a coincidence.

HW tends to draw players who are as much interested in the cool graphics and avitars as they are in playing Spades. This has always been the case and is not true at other sites. As with all groups, there are nice and not nice people. What happens is that many of the nice players who are a little more interested in Spading than the average get tired of the quitting and the rudeness and eventually leave.

I am probably as much tuned into the Spading community as anyone. I can tell you that I have tons of nice Spading friends, and I have to beat them over the head to come play here due to the topic of this thread.

Galt
Grand Master

Post by Galt » Mon May 10, 2010 7:11 pm

So, here is a classic example of what I am talking about.

We were playing a game tonight, and on the first hand my left hand opp bid Nil with the singleton Jack of hearts, and he got set.

His pard (who was 227 and 212) started berating him for bidding such a "risky" NIl.

I explained to the guy that the chance of him being able to cover his pard's Jack was about 71%. That does not include the chance that one of the opps will be forced to cover the Jack. I would have bid the Nil in a heartbeat.

No matter, this guy just kept yelling at his pard. We finally had to kick him from the table, at which point he came into the table under a different name to call him and us more names.

This guy's nic, by the way, was something about giving spades lessons.

So here we had a player, mediocre at best, who neither knows how to play well nor understands odds, but does consider himself well-qualified to tell others how to play.

It happens day after day and sometimes game after game.

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Tue May 11, 2010 6:41 am

These are the ones that usually DONT know how to play.....and from my perspective its their frustration that causes them to be rude.....they THINK they understand the game but they really dont and when they lose its ALWAYS their partners fault.....

I dont know how many times I have read in a profile or seen a statement made in the lobby that they are tired of lousy partners or my rating is due to lousy partners.....check it out sometime.....its amazing that some players refuse to accept the fact that they simply DONT know how to play or understand the game.....so they use that excuse or are so frustrated they become RUDE and attack their partner or another player...

How an opponents play effects their play can be construed as not knowing how to play is beyond me.....I think most arent really in HW to play spades anyway judging from what I have seen in almost 10 years here.....to most it is a way to socialize and meet people etc and those that do know how to play dont bother much with the lobby anyway....or brag and belittle other players........being online for a lot of people is a way for them to be what they are NOT in real life and do and say things they would not say face to face with others......and be safe while doing it....or they are unhappy at home and like the attention from the opposite sex with the very same problem....

Brad Paisley even sang a song about how much cooler he is online and is 6.5 and drives a Maserati....poses for Calvin Klein......and is single and rich......and has a black belt in Karate.....when actually he lives in his Moms basement and plays the tuba in a marching band......that song says it all about how people are ONLINE....

It doesnt take long to pick out the phonies and the rude ones.....they are the ones mouthing off the most about how terrible their partners are and other players compared to them......and when they dont have the stats or rating to back it up.......they attack others and place blame and are obnoxious and rude due to frustration.......its like this on any site with competition and a live chat format.......some will come in just to fight with the lobby and then leave or come in with a sexually suggestive nic for attention or just come in and swear in caps to stir players up and then leave when the lobby is in a big uproar....they dont even care about the game and 99 out of 100 of this type of person will have a LOW rating....
8)

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Tue May 11, 2010 7:40 am

and plays the tuba in a marching band......
Hey! What's wrong with playing the tuba?

-Brian "you better not toss marshmallows into my bell, either"

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Thu May 13, 2010 7:35 am

ROFL......... 8)

Galt
Grand Master

Post by Galt » Sat May 15, 2010 2:14 pm

So I take back everything that I have said.

It is way worse than I thought.