Yet another last hand

MrAnderson
Active Poster

Yet another last hand

Post by MrAnderson » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:59 pm

Last hand, game was very though and we had to make up a 150 lead. Now it comes to the last hand. Score is 480 opps/407 us. I'm the first bidder and have this hand:

:club:3
:diamond:78J
:heart:589KA
:spade:345J

What would you have bid. I considered two options but what I did, I'll tell afterwards :)
Dies irae, dies illa
Solvet saeclum in favilla

Galt
Grand Master

Re: Yet another last hand

Post by Galt » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:13 pm

Nice to see you.

I would bid Nil in a heartbeat. Either you or your pard has to.

Your pard still needs a 6 bid in theory to win the game if he is able to cover you, but at least it gives you a chance at winning.

It also gives you the chance that, if the opps bid the hand up in order to try to outscore your team should you make your NIl. you can then set yourself on purpose and help your pard set the opps. You will likely bag out either on this hand or later if you are forced to set yourself, but again the game will remain alive and anything can happen after that.

qetzal
Noob

Post by qetzal » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:26 am

I think nil as well. Of course, the challenge is that opps may bid 1 each and try to give your p 3 bags. (From the score, I'm assuming 7 bags for you, 0 for them.) You can hope to throw off on clubs, but dimes and hearts are both problematic, not to mention the 4 spades. If your p bids too low, he may be forced to take extra to cover your dimes and hearts. If he tries to bid high to account for the expected bags, then opps could decide to set him.

But the alternative is you'd need to bid 11 between you. That seems even less likely to me.

dustin7609
Active Poster

Post by dustin7609 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:37 am

Nil is the only option. This bid isn't being made to necessarily make a nil, however. We are simply bidding nil as a forcing bid to make the opponents bid 8. Similar to a bluff nil.

Partner will likely need to bid 6, and now we play to set the 8 bid. Or he bids 5, and the opps bid to bag him. Then we can stay in the nil and hope he plays well.
Last edited by dustin7609 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MrAnderson
Active Poster

Post by MrAnderson » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:02 pm

You're all right. I was bidding nil, my bid 5 (stretching his bid so far, as it turned out while replaying the game) and the opps bid both 2.

I was thinking about a nil too. Luckily west had the high cards and east the low cards. So west couldn't break spades and east had 4 spades but feared to break them. If they would have managed to set my nil chances are very high that I can set them too. My pard had the high cards in diamonds and managed to make his bid with only taking one bag.

Also we had no other choices. Either my nil goes through and we win or not. A high bid would have been the second option but with our opps only needing two tricks it would have been very unlikely that we set them.
Dies irae, dies illa
Solvet saeclum in favilla