THE NEW CHANGES

HW Angel
Active Poster

Re: THE NEW CHANGES

Post by HW Angel » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:15 pm

The perspective is most people don't like change. We have had a change and it wasn't announced in advance to the large majority, result is negative reaction.

Many different opions have been stated, often an opportunity about an issue other than the resetting of nics. The site has remained almost the same since the beginning, few changes really. To improve, the site really needs to be updated and updating should bring in new players. There are pros and cons to all sites. If you play here, you accept the current situation. The current situation is it is a very small site for spades. Since it is small most (not all) end up in smoots or a league room. If you are in smoots, there are around 150 players. That is basically like playing in a social lobby on other sites. At other sites there are multiple rooms for advanced players, multiple room for intermediate players, etc. I can walk in and grab an 1800 plus game any time day or night on other sites. Here that just isn't an option, therefore when I choose to play in HW, it is not for skill, it is for fun to relax and enjoy. I start a new nic and rarely do I make or sit on a rated table even though the nic becomes established.

If people want improvement in the site, then growth is needed. Upgrading the site is needed for growth. Jonas is upgrading the sofware and one of the issues that interferes with that programming is the resetting of the nics. It was a business decision to make improvements. People who want to keep the current software are welcome to keep it. Those who would like to upgrade may.

Some sites are completely free and are funded through advertisers. Jonas does not currently fund this site with outside advertising. Other sites you pay an annual fee, not a one time fee as here in HW. In order to continue to provide the servers for people to play on line, Jonas does have to fund the site in some manner. That is not evil and vicious, just a fact a business has to have income to continue to provide service. There is overhead, the programmers don't work for free. The cost of the servers and connections, etc. Making improvements and drawing in new customers, providing HW on mobil devices is one of those avenues.

Jonas is not asking us to pay him any more money to play spades with the current version. We are free to go play at a completely free site, but we won't be able to reset our nics there, so there would be another reason to go there. We are free to go play at a site that charges annual fees, but we won't be able to reset our ratings there, so there would be another reason to go there. Why are we here? I am here because I enjoy the site. Not being able to reset my nic is almost a non issue.

I would think it is an issue for people who's skills prevent them from keeping a 1500 average rating. They are often booted from games because of their low rating. So what to do. Dump the nic and make a new one so they can get in a game.

So Jonas!!!! Let's talk about that canasta Gromph was telling us about.............

Kiss My Pass

Post by Kiss My Pass » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:17 pm

Change is usually difficult for most people. The biggest complaint I have is that I was not forewarned before the change occured. Some of us would have wanted to reset our nics and now we can't. You have my/our email address....why not send out notice?

I havent been playing Spades much the past year 1/2 and lately Ive been playing a bit more again. (I still want my original nic Kiss My Pass to be allowed - It was kiss my pass for LUCK not @SS) Anyhow...I actually applaud the improvement & think it will be a good thing. We have all had a great deal of a "one time fee" to use the software, and have gotten way more than our moneys worth. We arent being forced to upgrade. We arent being forced to pay more. For those that want to though will be able to get something better. (I am hoping your "mobile device" mention will mean I can play spades on my Iphone!!)

While we are speaking of changes, how about the guides allowing people to be adults? I really feel like a scolded child with the warnings and silencing. Im not crude and disgusting. It makes me hate playing in HW when I feel like I cant speak my mind, and joke around in the lobby. HW has listened in the past to players about guides, and has taken action. I have seen them go. (grateful they listen) Hopefully you are still listening as it makes for a better playing experience when a guide isnt abusing their "powers" and a person feels free to be an adult. Guides should be held accountable for their actions because what they do will affect HW, your players and referrals to this site. Some of us are there to socialize even more so than playing. I say let us complain, talk about politics, joke, sing, fool around with binds - whatever.... If we arent annoyingly flooding, using profanity or attacking someone who really cares! Everyone has that ignore button....and if someone annoys them, they can choose to use it.

KISS

Starlight

Post by Starlight » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:09 am

HW Angel wrote:

If people want improvement in the site, then growth is needed. Upgrading the site is needed for growth. Jonas is upgrading the sofware and one of the issues that interferes with that programming is the resetting of the nics. It was a business decision to make improvements. People who want to keep the current software are welcome to keep it. Those who would like to upgrade may.

color]

If they want to update that is fine. However updates can be made without deleting the reset button or resetting nics. A company doesn't sell a product with certain features then some years later decide to take them away. That is unethical in my opinion.

Let It Rain
Active Poster

Post by Let It Rain » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:23 am

It will be interesting to see the other changes that must be paid for vs. not paying. That is yet to be announced.

devous00
Noob

Post by devous00 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:41 am

HW Angel you sound like a suck up :roll:

Sagwa
Active Poster

Post by Sagwa » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:22 am

Jonas would you answer this?

Are you planning on doing a *mass reset* of all nics that each player has?

This needs to be answered, since the speculation in the lobby is going wild.

Back in 2003 or 2004 , you did one mass reset of all high provies. Okay, we lived with it, you left us one.
But you did say, you would never do it again. (just a reminder)

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:31 am

Sagwa wrote:Jonas would you answer this?

Are you planning on doing a *mass reset* of all nics that each player has?

This needs to be answered, since the speculation in the lobby is going wild.

Back in 2003 or 2004 , you did one mass reset of all high provies. Okay, we lived with it, you left us one.
But you did say, you would never do it again. (just a reminder)
No my understanding is that what you conciser a rating now will still remain and be ongoing. I think people misunderstood what I was asking about in an other thread about how to start of new ratings if we split them for the various game variants.

The plan is, as I understand it, that IF we split the ratings out (e.g. one for partners, one for singles, one for suicide) the overall (what people currently think of as a rating) will continue on just like it is.

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:35 am

Well Im speaking soley from a player standpoint here as I have been on this site since 01........

The reset button never concerned me at all.....I have used it a few times mainly on the first game played on the nic I was using so maybe I have used it a total of 5 or 6 times in all those years......so removing it isnt an issue with me at all...

Everyone complains about when is SCE going to make improvements and then complains when they do.......in my opinion and speaking for myself only here....I think these improvements are going to be great and everyone should give them a chance to implement them and see how they work for ya before getting into an uproar........as Jonas has said.....you can choose to keep the old system or move onto the new one....YOUR CHOICE!..... 8)
Last edited by Primal Instincts on Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Wilderness has answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask.

Sagwa
Active Poster

Post by Sagwa » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:11 am

Thank you so much for answering me directly. It will clear up one issue.

Some of us were chatting in the lobby.
We that have been here 11 yrs. , 7, 8, do believe it fair. That the site charges a fee for upgrades.
I/We never thought this was a lifetime deal. $19.95 is nothing compared to other sites.
Some charge $39.95 a year, some $12.50 a month.

But those that pay, would like to have a say in the changes, upgrades?

What are your thoughts on this?

Sierra_Nevada
Noob

Post by Sierra_Nevada » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:12 am

I was so upset to see the disappearance of the Reset Ratings that I have seriously considered quitting HW. I have had more than my fair share of bad luck with HW cards and dice (Backgammon) and don't consider my rating to be truthful of the type of player I am. I have also had to leave a game on occassion for various reasons. People look at it and see me as a quitter. Ratings are too much of a priority with people. Some of the best games I have had are with low rated players and some of the worst with high rated players.
There is the reality that a partner does have an effect on whether one wins or loses. So many people fail to see that. I have nics that are very high and nics that are very low. Same person, same playing type, just different ratings. If I am in the mid 1500's I will be kicked out of a game because it is too low. How is that right? I just don't get this and it is becoming more and more unclear each day.
I hope some of the new changes are reversed. Some of these changes will have a direct influence on if and how much I play HW Spades.
I wish we had been consulted. I am signed up for the newsletter and have not seen a newsletter ever.
:oops:

devous00
Noob

Post by devous00 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:54 am

Good point about the newsletter! That way most concerns could have been addressed but seems like it has all been bass ackwards

Lore

Post by Lore » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:09 am

I am constantly amused by the "outrage" of what is deemed important by some. Personally, I love the reset button, which if I sit and think about it, I couldn't tell you why, since I have a little under a kajillion names to pick n choose to play on. And to have actually have it taken away? I'm not one of those who are outraged. Isn't that big a deal to me. As for upgrades? Ive spent a few days thinking about that as well, and even though my online time in Hardwood is limited these days, (personal choice) I have grown weary of the constant bashing that goes on daily in there. If I want to be verbally bashed like that I'll get remarried....but to choose to play and relax in that atmosphere? Well, not so much. And I find it has a negative effect on the way I treat others in return. Seems as if you take so much of it you start to wallow in the mud and retaliate with the best of the them,( or worst as the case may be) So to me, standing back and playing elsewhere has been a Godsend. However I do return and play with a select few from time to time, and having said that, I will be more than happy to support your upgrades, even though I dont play there as much as I once did, for the simple fact that for the past 5-6 years I have played happily ( for most of them) for less than 30 bucks. In any economy thats a clear cut bargain. And I think it's important that those of us who have played on that minimal fee stand up and support you. I am one of those who pay 39.95 a year to play at pogo and so what you are asking for is very little, and I gladly will stand up and support the new upgrade, without threatening to play elsewhere (even though I already do, but thats no fault of yours...LOL) but on a personal note I highly dislike the leaderboard idea. The animosity and bullcrap that is flung in smoots lobby now is bad enough now, wait til they all try clawing and scratching their way for the honor of topping a leaderboard. But no Matter, Oregonians should stick together and show support, so I will. Good Luck on the new venture, and consider me signed up...

red

Post by red » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:33 am

Most of ppl here use windows on their computer... You can chose to stay on windows vista or move to window 7.. if you chose to move you need to pay the new license... Most of us are in hw for years and i think that we received our money back having fun all those years... They are not saying that you will not be able to pay with your old version, but to get the new one you have to pay... Fair enough...
Changes cost money, we all the time complain when the server shut down, if there is a hacker around etc... Protect the customers cost money too..
I am very happy that finally will be a mobile version to hw:)
Good luck in the new version, just hope that will be here soon

red

Post by red » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:55 am

One question... if you cant reset your nick, wouldn't be intelligent that at least on provie tables will not be the kick option anymore???

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:20 am

red wrote:One question... if you cant reset your nick, wouldn't be intelligent that at least on provie tables will not be the kick option anymore???
What's the thinking there on that?