THE NEW CHANGES

Galt
Grand Master

Re: THE NEW CHANGES

Post by Galt » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:43 am

Jonas, the thinking relates to the following.

Quite a few people who set provi tables (becasue they are not really provi players) kick players who have a rating below, say, 1500.

The problem, of course, is that everybody is always resetting ratings so that other players don't really know what anyone's true ability level is. This is true for both lower and higher rated players.

The real problem is that there never have been any 1300 or 1400 games at HW due to the resetting of ratings. With the ability to reset going away, one would think that there will be more appropriate games being set, and maybe the lobby will no longer have to be filled with provi games being played by players who have played at HW for 10 years.

What has weighed down the system all these years is the lack of lower rated tables. 13 and 1400 ability players should not be playing provi games against 16 and 1700 ability players. It is a major cause of fighting and quitting, and just exacerbates the problem with uncivil behavior.

MsJillian

Post by MsJillian » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:58 am

Are you going to restrict the number of nics a player can have? I see no value to ratings if someone has more than 2 or 3 nics.

Also, in my experience of many years playing here, the ratings have had little real indication of a player's skill level. It is just a number assigned to a player's record of the wins and losses with a variety of partners while using that particular nic.

I do not like the idea of a leader board. If players want leader boards and true stats they can join a league or ladder. A leader board with players using more than 3 or 4 nics and their true identity hidden is meaningless.

Angelic_Kisses

Post by Angelic_Kisses » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:13 pm

Three questions/statements please:
1. The kick option needs to stay at all tables; Primarily because, in the case of a player whom is impolite, we can opt not to play with them another game.
2. Are any or all nics ( including provie nics) going to be reset? I have many clean nics, not yet at an "established rating" that I earned without resetting them.It would be VERY irritating to lose them!
3.Are you EVER going to limit the number of nics able to be created? As it was annoying enough to have them limited to 16 characters... ( some of the long nics are VERY amusing ;) ) Thank You
Last edited by Angelic_Kisses on Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sagwa
Active Poster

Post by Sagwa » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:14 pm

I don't get that option.
What does reset and a no kick table have to do with each other?
Anyone in any of the games can set their own game.
The kick option was put there because of, stalkers, troublemakers; that the host didn't want at his/her table.
Please do not think of taking that out.

Sagwa
Active Poster

Post by Sagwa » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:17 pm

. Are any or all nics ( including provie nics) going to be reset? I have many clean nics, not yet at an "established rating" that I earned without resetting them.It would be VERY irritating to lose them!

Angelic_Kisses

If you read all of the posts, he specifically said, there would be no reset of nics.
It's a matter of leader boards.
But I have a question there.
If you use one nice, lets say in 3 way cut and partners? That would fall under what leader board?
Or do we have to designate a nic for each game?

Synderyella
Active Poster

Post by Synderyella » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:23 pm

Why all the banter about something you (we players) have no control over? It is a waste of time for any of us to tell Jonas et all how to run their business. Just like telling any other business how they should consider your opinion when making decisions. It is their business and their choice. If you don't like it then take your business elsewhere. Go fight some store about the changes they made without asking you first.
You can compare HW with other on site games and choose where you want to play weighing the pros and cons. Then suck it up when stuff happens you don't like.
I like playing here but I hate that the cheaters and game throwers are allowed to stay even after being shown that they play unfair (bidding 11 or 12 when angry to get -200 for a nonexistent moon bid) et. I don't like that a guide can decide who plays in the guide hosted tournament just because she does not like that player who beats her often in games. But if I want to play here on this site I have to deal with the good and bad. It is not fair...life is not fair ....HW is not fair. They don't have to be. It is their business and their decision. A guide can silence someone without cause just because they do not like the player and who knows if anything is done about it because we don't hear back from our report filed. The admin staff gets to decide if anything will be done to those players who throw rated games and play unfair and cheat. We have no idea what happened if anything unless that player tells us. IF the player is still playing we know they were not banned for their behavior that is all we can know. That is the nature of this site. It is not a democracy where we vote on rules or features. It is a business. The owners can run their business any way they chooose and they do. You can waste time and energy and server space complaining but it still ends up ultimately their decision not yours or mine.
spade (spayed) my pets

M_A_R_K

Post by M_A_R_K » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:43 pm

Well i think if this is a money problem just charge like $9.95 a yr to play...... Most would fuss but this is the best Spades site anywhere and they would pay.

SmOoOkEn

Post by SmOoOkEn » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:15 pm

I DONTUNDERSTAND
Last edited by SmOoOkEn on Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

MaddogUSMC
Active Poster

Post by MaddogUSMC » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:14 pm

Well I happy with the changes!!!!! Will you have advertising banners? If so email me. change happens some can handle it and then we have the others.
Kiss a Veteran today, without them you would not be as free as you are. Remember the ones who gave all they had for this country. From a Combat Vet.

MaddogUSMC
Active Poster

Post by MaddogUSMC » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:24 pm

Jonas wrote:
red wrote:One question... if you cant reset your nick, wouldn't be intelligent that at least on provie tables will not be the kick option anymore???
What's the thinking there on that?
PLEASE keep the boot at the table :lol: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
Kiss a Veteran today, without them you would not be as free as you are. Remember the ones who gave all they had for this country. From a Combat Vet.

Ralphie May
Active Poster

Post by Ralphie May » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:41 pm

M_A_R_K wrote:Well i think if this is a money problem just charge like $9.95 a yr to play...... Most would fuss but this is the best Spades site anywhere and they would pay.

I agree. I would pay it too. If extra funds make things even better then we all win. People pay for alot of games by the year and I know many people that have been playing here for years that would not quit playing over a $10.00 a year charge. And if they do then it is their loss. It is a great game site.

red

Post by red » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:18 am

Jonas wrote:
red wrote:One question... if you cant reset your nick, wouldn't be intelligent that at least on provie tables will not be the kick option anymore???
What's the thinking there on that?
Most of ppl in hw kick others because their ratting is lower then 1500, we( and i put myself included) always start to the point that if you can get 1500 points why play lower, and we all know that when u play lower players you gain less points if u win the game..
So i had a new provie nick and loose the first game and then i tried 4 tables and was kicked on the 4 of them because i had more looses then wins... what means that i would have to create a new provie nick as there was only provie players on the room at same hour...
I don't think that the idea of not reset ratting is that each one that loose the first game create a new nick...
I know that we have the stalker problems but we all know that isn't the only reason that the kick button is used and because that i think that on provie games the kick button should be disable.. at least until the game start ...

patchlove
Noob

Post by patchlove » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:47 am

Excellence is worth paying for...and I agree, HW has the best graphics anywhere
I have been playing for 6 years on my 25.00
I think thats a damn good bargain.
I dont mind paying another 20.oo for 6 more.
I thank Jonas for having guides, because if not for them HW would be a zoo like yahoo, and I really dislike playing with sensless spiteful animals with a mouth

I would like to know what the changes are...and whats coming, in order to prepare though. By email if nothing else.

:heart: Thanks for alot of great games Jonas

patchlove
Noob

Post by patchlove » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:52 am

As to adressing the banner ads on the web page....
I absolutely do not want advertising

It interferes with the pleasantry of escaping a commerial driven world for a few hours.

Please do not consider advertising on our site

devous00
Noob

Post by devous00 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:44 pm

O great and now we got ppl wanting the reset button removed!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have 3 pages of ppl that either use foul language in games or either stall for long periods of time and i refuse to play with peeps like that so if your gonna remove that option might as well let me know now so i don't waste my time here anymore. I refuse to play with obnoxious slow players and i have taken the time to write names down and will continue too because i wouldn't put up with foul mouth fools in real life and dang sure not going to do it here.