Hardwood Games Public beta for Windows - Updated 1/21/2011

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Hardwood Games Public beta for Windows - Updated 1/21/2011

Post by Jonas » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:06 pm

Note: Memberships do not apply to JUST one game, once you have a membership its for ALL games. Same for items. pick up the snowman avatar, and it works for all the games.

Hardwood Games beta is ready for public testing!

Update 1/21/2011: The builds have been updated, they are release candidates. So if you've tried the beta before be sure to try these again and let us know if anything is still broken. If you already downloaded the new version click Help and then Check Version in the game to get the update. If you don't have it yet the links below have been updated as well

Update 12/17/2010: The builds have been updated. If you already downloaded the new version click Help and then Check Version in the game to get the update. If you don't have it yet the links below have been updated as well

Okay folks we're ready to start doing some public testing of our new game clients that players have been wondering about.
Here are the download links:

Hardwood Hearts
Hardwood Euchre
Hardwood Spades
Hardwood Backgammon
Hardwood Solitaire IV

To submit a bug report so we can be aware of a technical problem, right click on the games titlebar and click "bug report"

Its a big change, and we understand that there are lots of questions. Lets try to keep this thread focused on testing.

For submitting ideas, we're also have a new tool we're trying out where you can post ideas and other folks can vote on them. I'll discuss details about that in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16786

1st and foremost, the current clients you're using will continue to work and players can play each other on either client. So if you prefer to keep on keeping on with the old client that's entirely fine. We have no plans to require current players to use the new versions. You paid for for the version you have, and we respect that. We also have an offer for folks that have purchased the current client, see below

The new client beside looking a lot different and having a different feature set, it also is ran on a different business model. No longer will it be about buying a game client, but it will be about buying stuff to use in the games and a membership model for online play.

Microtransactions:
For those of you that have been running the Hardwood Solitaire IV beta, you're already familiar with the micro transaction model. In a nut shell, its pay for what you want, don't pay for what you don't want. So now many of the items from avatars to card backs are broken out, and folks can purchase say the Dragon avatar, but pass on the Ogre avatar.

What the Heck are Memberships?
We're still dialing in the details (so any of this could change), but here is how the memberships currently work:
There is a Basic Membership that will be free for the 1st year to anyone that wants to come and play. Basic Members of this model can play social games and use pre-made chat called Quick Chat.

There is also a Plus+ Membership that adds on Rated games and free form chat like you're used to now. There is a chart that compares the differences between memberships.

We have a special offer for anyone that has a unlock key for one of our multiplayer games; a free Year of Plus+ membership and 1600 tokens for one account. So when you get to the screen with the membership choices, be sure to look for the offer link.

In both the Microstransactions and subscriptions, they are attached to an account, which is the usename you sign in with. So be sure you are using the account you want to use, its non transferable to another name, so choose wisely.

I'm gonna add to this 1st post As questions come up:
Q: Is the old version going to expire?
A: Nope, there are no plans to have the games you've purchased to expire in single player or online access that you currently have.

Q: So do players that have purchased the previous version get some sort of upgrade?
A: Yes, while the game is fundamentally different in how its purchased, we are offering 2 specials at the moment. One is for multiplayer games that is offered on the membership page. And another deal tokens for players that have purchased Hardwood Solitaire III available on the token purchasing page. I'll let you check those out for yourself, as the deals could change over time.

Q: So does the stuff I purchase only work for the game I'm using?

A: Nope, in fact if you buy an avatar for example that will work with all of our new versions. Same with Memberships etc. So what cool about that is lets say you pick up a Plus+ membership, you now can play Hearts, Euchre, Spades, Backgammon online, not just one game. If you pick up the Ogre Avatar, you get it in Hearts, Spades, Euchre, Backgammon, and Solitaire IV. Sweet!

Q: Is there going to be more avatars. environments and stuff?
A: Yes, we plan to have a lot more stuff in the store soon.

Q: How can I adjust the volume of one thing? Clicking the sound icon on the toolbar turns it all off or on.
A: You can either click and hold, or Right click on the sound icon to access advanced options. Alternatively you can go through the menu to adjust the sound settings. I'd recommend poking around the setting anyhow to see if you can break anything :)

Synderyella
Active Poster

Re: Hardwood Games Public beta for Windows

Post by Synderyella » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:35 pm

the features will be attached to an account.... my account has lot of names....is it attached to one nicknme ...or one account???
so if I purchase a feature for nickname1 it will not be useable on nickname2 ? Can I purchase it for nickname2 also?
This is confusing to me
spade (spayed) my pets

pro_zak
Active Poster

Post by pro_zak » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:56 pm

So Jonas would you answser something please? ARE you going to charge a plus membership to players that play in leagues for them to access league rooms? Because if you are then you will kill most of the leagues? It would be fair to let us know so we can move our leagues elsewhere. Basically your changes are all about money and the forum to make leagues better was to get info to do this . On the features listed you have to be a plus to access league rooms. And what are u offering to the league rooms the players already pay for a premium account in league this would be double paying if they going to pay you and pay cases. So what would you be offering leagues?

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:24 pm

Synderyella wrote:the features will be attached to an account.... my account has lot of names....is it attached to one nicknme ...or one account???
so if I purchase a feature for nickname1 it will not be useable on nickname2 ? Can I purchase it for nickname2 also?
This is confusing to me
What you would conciser a name is an account moving forward. So it means folks will probably focus on one name most of the time. You could still login with the other nicks with the old client of course, but the new client will treat each one as a separate account. We're floating idea around that we might support alias or group accounts the the future, but right now it gets technically extremely messy to support that as a feature in the new system.

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:29 pm

pro_zak wrote:So Jonas would you answser something please? ARE you going to charge a plus membership to players that play in leagues for them to access league rooms? Because if you are then you will kill most of the leagues? It would be fair to let us know so we can move our leagues elsewhere. Basically your changes are all about money and the forum to make leagues better was to get info to do this . On the features listed you have to be a plus to access league rooms. And what are u offering to the league rooms the players already pay for a premium account in league this would be double paying if they going to pay you and pay cases. So what would you be offering leagues?
That's currently the plan for the new client. League rooms will be accessed only by Plus members. I could be told tomorrow, so I wouldn't want to give you a concrete answer. AS far as I'm aware, I think the old client will work just as it is, so its kinda a moot point. We do hope to add some cool features like room customization etc for league rooms and full tourney system that wouldn't necessitate a separate 3rd party solution.

Even the pricing on the memberships are in flux. For now of course anyone with a unlock key gets a free Plus membership anyhow, so you have plenty of time to ponder how things ultimately work out. There isn't any immediate issue with access in that light.

Sagwa
Active Poster

Post by Sagwa » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:56 pm

Am I doing something wrong? I got the d/l for the beta. But it won't sign in.

I've tried 3 times now. Tell me it's not me . LOLOLOL

Gromph
Site Admin

Post by Gromph » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:25 pm

Sagwa wrote:Am I doing something wrong? I got the d/l for the beta. But it won't sign in.

I've tried 3 times now. Tell me it's not me . LOLOLOL
Can you explain in more detail why it won't sign in? Are you getting any error messages?

Sagwa
Active Poster

Post by Sagwa » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:42 pm

It says: Cannot connect to server.

Sorry that's all it will say.

BBQ

Post by BBQ » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:52 pm

ok i have a question. i made a table under new account. i tried to turn the music off but if i do that i lose the whole sound on the table. is that a feature that i have to pay for too?

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:04 pm

BBQ wrote:ok i have a question. i made a table under new account. i tried to turn the music off but if i do that i lose the whole sound on the table. is that a feature that i have to pay for too?
Naw, we tried to simplify the interface because were moving to mobile devices. So the sound icon on the tool bar, just toggles all sound on and off.

What you want to do is adjust the various volumes which you can do through the options, or by right clicking on the icon on the toolbar.

volumes you can adjust independently are:
Music
Sound effects (cards, menu sounds etc)
Environment (sounds that go with the backgrounds that have them)

The card tables, currently don't have sounds per se. I'll assume you meant environment.

WhatAgoodGirl
Noob

Post by WhatAgoodGirl » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:32 pm

jonas so what about all the lifetime banned players will they be allowed back on the new version? there is so many players banned i am just askin because i have a friend he has been banned for over 4 years now ?

WhatAgoodGirl
Noob

Post by WhatAgoodGirl » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:42 pm

jonas can u keep old version and download the new version ? so u can play both?

la24philly
Active Poster

Post by la24philly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:43 pm

Jonas, i had a chance to see the new version in action very nice, but the fanned cards in the background made it a bit hard to see the suit or the font size of the suit, any chance they could have straight cards?
your main man louie lou rocking the 3rd shift for all you full time vampires

bjvande

Hardwood Games Public beta for the Mac

Post by bjvande » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:20 pm

Any time frame when the Mac Beta will be available?

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:06 pm

WhatAgoodGirl wrote:jonas so what about all the lifetime banned players will they be allowed back on the new version? there is so many players banned i am just askin because i have a friend he has been banned for over 4 years now ?
I don't think the new version would have any effect on ones ban status. It would be best to have your friend state their case to Jason at support@silvercrk.com.