Hardwood Games Public beta for Windows - Updated 1/21/2011

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Re: Hardwood Games Public beta for Windows - Updated 12/17/2

Post by Jonas » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:38 am

Wolf, we're not shutting down the old site, so I'm not sure why all the concern.

I do appreciate that you are concerned, but I think we've sorted things out pretty reasonable for folks that aren't interested in moving forward on the new build.

The reason we're moving to microtransactions is that folks can come in for free or for very low cost, and not have to pony up 24.95 to play.

As far as memberships go, we're still tinkering with it, and we'll figure out what works and what doesn't. But we need to pay for development and supporting the site infrastructure, and the old way of charging 24.95 up front we don't think is the future.

We're trying here Wolf, so please work with us as we make are way though the current landscape. The old way is probably not sustainable in the long run but again we're not cutting folks off if they want to stick with it, we're just moving away from that for incoming folks. in fact we're not even isolating the populations, new and old clients can play together.

I think another aspect that I haven't explained very well (and we're in beta here, so we're figuring stuff out and I'm not the best salesman on the planet :) ) is that items or memberships are not per game.

SO lets say you purchased Hardwood Hearts in the past, and have an unlock key. You redeem your hearts key for a free 1 year Plus+ Membership and free 1600 tokens +200 each month. That's effectively getting Hearts, Spades, Euchre and Backgammon for free. And in fact, you could use your tokens to pick up some solitaire games, so might as well though it Solitaire into that value.

If you don't like it, you can go back to what you have when the membership ends, and you STILL get use the new versions off line (solitaire for example) with all the stuff you purchased with tokens you picked up along the way.

I think that's a pretty sweet deal for folks that purchased even 1 multiplayer game. Zero commitment on your part.

LilahRainsMomma

Post by LilahRainsMomma » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:23 pm

OK I have a couple questions and a couple suggestions... One how do I get the text to show over the bid in spades? If I just hover over it like in the old game nothing happens (even though other members say it shows) and I can NOT read the meter at all! Which makes the game a tad more difficult lol Two I don't know if it's bc I play on a tiny 9in net book or what but I have a REALLY hard time telling the difference between the clubs & spades and the hearts & diamonds. Could something be tweaked to make the image of the suit sharper? Three the fooms seem to lock up the computer for a second or if you click out of the game for a sec then click bring it back up the screen is black for a min and if it is your turn you are screwed. Four I'm really not a fan of having to buy the fooms but I understand that you guys probably need more income. However, I don't think the price is fair. I feel like have to hoard my fooms and I would be more apt to use them AND buy more if I got more like 50 instead of just 10. Esp since we use them to get peoples attention a lot so maybe make one like the hearts unlimited so we can still use it as much as we need to for that purpose. I feel like I'm forgetting something but I spose that's enough for now...

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:18 pm

LilahRainsMomma wrote:OK I have a couple questions and a couple suggestions... One how do I get the text to show over the bid in spades? If I just hover over it like in the old game nothing happens
As far as I can tell, you're correct and I'll put in a bug for allowing a text version of the meter.
LilahRainsMomma wrote: Two I don't know if it's bc I play on a tiny 9in net book or what but I have a REALLY hard time telling the difference between the clubs & spades and the hearts & diamonds. Could something be tweaked to make the image of the suit sharper?
make sure you have the latest version, I did redo the cards to make the clubs and spades more distinct. To check, go to the games main menu ->Help-> Check version.

LilahRainsMomma wrote: Three the fooms seem to lock up the computer for a second or if you click out of the game for a sec then click bring it back up the screen is black for a min and if it is your turn you are screwed. Four I'm really not a fan of having to buy the fooms but I understand that you guys probably need more income. However, I don't think the price is fair. I feel like have to hoard my fooms and I would be more apt to use them AND buy more if I got more like 50 instead of just 10. Esp since we use them to get peoples attention a lot so maybe make one like the hearts unlimited so we can still use it as much as we need to for that purpose. I feel like I'm forgetting something but I spose that's enough for now...
We'll look at adjusting the price for the fooms.

sandbar
Guide

Post by sandbar » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:46 pm

I'm replying to this, not as a guide, but as a player, Jonas is trying his best to cater to both new and old players here, I, for one, didn't realise if you bought the yearly membership it covered ALL the games, that is a great deal.
I, like most of you others, bought the game (nearly 8 years ago now for me, and even longer for some of you.)and have not paid one cent more for playing online.
For heavens sakes! Paying a yearly fee is no more than most of you would pay for a carton of beer, or a carton of cigarettes.

Yes, there are portions of the new game I don't like, paying for fooms being one of them, I feel they should be incorporated into the yearly price, my concern also was for the clarity of the cards, which Jonas has adjusted, and they are now very clear. Your avatar was positioned to the side when they first started the beta, but Jonas has listened to those who have voiced concerns and repositioned the avatar so it is back at the bottom of the screen.

If we want our favorite games to be online we need to pay a yearly fee so Jonas can upkeep the games and the service we already are getting, and like he has said repeatedly, if you have the OLD GAME, you can stay with that and not pay a cent more, however, the old game will NOT be getting new avatars, fooms etc. only the new build will.

If the time came, that yes, we all have to pay a yearly membership fee, so be it, I would rather pay a yearly fee and be able to be a part of Hardwood and know that someone is online 24/7, any time you can't sleep, just click on Hardwood, and there is always someone to talk to.
Hearts does not have as many players as Spades, agreed, but when I come online, there are usually around 230 people in the lobby, which does dwindle down to maybe 80 when America goes to sleep and leaves us Aussies to run riot :P
That's my two bobs worth :P

wolf_139
Active Poster

Post by wolf_139 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:25 am

ok cool that people will be able to play for free, but very uncool they will have to pay to even chat. i see they get quick links but thats a bit overboard. nobody wants to play on a card site that they cant even talk to people on. 1 of the biggest aspects of this program is the number of excellent people you run into. and well spending time laughing at those undesirable people with the ones you know arent weird. taking away chat doubles up the chances people wont want to bother playing. next i found was the fooms.... cmon now i know yas need the money but lets be serious here. paying for fooms will kill fooms all together, that may not be a bad thing. but there will be a few who wont be happy with this. and all im trying to point out guys is that there are too many sites offering free euchre,spades,hearts,backgammon, and the list goes on and on. the more ya start to charge the less new competition your going to see coming to the site. and with that comes boredom with boredom comes unrenewed memberships. which in the end means the demise of what should be the best gaming experience on the net as far as competetive cards goes. im speaking from the past, ive watched too many of these sites fall apart. like i said jonas good idea at a bad time. i wish you the best in this as i probably wont stick around to watch as like ive said, ive seen enough of it to know whats going to happen here. zone thought they could charge as well and still sustain. they had over 4,000 euchre players alone (many of whom are here now) leagues that sustained over 2000 active members, and when the time came. they just shut it down as the expense outweighed what they would have gained by charging.

so in the end if you want to be innovative and make a bit of extra cash, your better off investing into an anti cheat program and a gaming license even if its just for 1 room and offering up a weekly cash tournament to the likes of $25 being a $20 buyin and a $5 rake for the house. i for 1 would support that venture (pending an anti cheat module being implemented) and would gladly attend weekly. ive been working on a system for what will end up being in the end an anti cheat model for what will in the end be for my own card site. it will simply detect usage of any type of IM and auto DQ anyone opening 1 during a game(unless its a social game). it doesnt take much effort, ya just gotta be willing to spend a bit of money to make a bit of money.(as im sure you did starting out on this venture). anyways hope you all enjoyed my wall of text.

Mompsu
Big Poster

Post by Mompsu » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:50 am

@ wolf_139
ive been working on a system for what will end up being in the end an anti cheat model for what will in the end be for my own card site. it will simply detect usage of any type of IM and auto DQ anyone opening 1 during a game(unless its a social game).
Its a very good idea, but. Most of players are fr States, England or Germany etc. And can easyly use a phone flatrate.. which is impossible to cut off while hunting fr a points in Hardwood..

To beat cheaters its a big challenge, tho :wink:
Why the oldtime Players leave Hardwood.. Think about it, will ya !!!!

mortsman

Post by mortsman » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:12 pm

Our problem with the new beta euchre and solitaire is isolated to one of three Windows XL PC's on our home network. The games will not allow you to sign in - displaying the following message:

"Failed to connect. Check your internet connection and try again."

A check of the internet connection shows it is OK. The browser connects to the internet, etc. The Hardwood Beta games on the other PC's on the network connect to the internet and Silver Creek OK.

Both my girlfriend and I are participants in the Beta project, but neither of us can sign on at this particular PC. You can play a game, but you are warned at the end of the game that your score cannot be recorded until you sign on.

We have tried removing the beta installations on the problem PC and reinstalling them without any success.

Sagwa posted something similar to this earlier this month but did not receive an answer to his problem, as far as I know.

I have run all the diagnostics I can think of at this point. Has anyone experienced this problem or does anyone knows fix?

Thank you for your time.

S

LilahRainsMomma

Post by LilahRainsMomma » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:11 pm

Wow, thanx for replying so quick and addressing everything I said. Made me feel like my opinion mattered lol... As for which version I have, it is says it's the latest. I just DLed it Thursday so I fig it was... I guess the clarity problem might be bc the screen I play on is so small. That being said I have absolutely no problem at all telling the suit in the old game. So I still think there could be something tweaked to fix it. Also, today I switched to another program and then clicked back to the game, and the screen not only went black but after a few seconds the whole program crashed. When I signed back on it had me file an issue report but I just thought I'd mention it just in case it didn't get submitted right... OH! I just remembered one of the other things that bugs the crap out of me on the new version. I LOATHE the new continue button in between each hand. Having to just click on the old version was annoying enough but now actually having to remember that you have to click ON the continue button is making me NUTS! Do we even need that screen after each hand? Can't you just do away with it all together and if anyone ever wants to see who took what of the last hand you could just make one of those boxes like you have for the score. Wow, actually I love that idea! I just came up with that solution as I was typing and that not only solves the annoying extra screen clicking hassle, but there have been many many times that I wanted to see who took what of the last hand while playing, so one of the boxes for that would be great!... Oh and btw I just want to say that while it might sound like I don't like the new version I actually I really like all the new stuff. The environments esp. are really cool and I also love that we get ALL the games. I've been wanting to try the others for a long time now so I really appreciate that little gift :)

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:38 am

mortsman wrote:Our problem with the new beta euchre and solitaire is isolated to one of three Windows XL PC's on our home network. The games will not allow you to sign in - displaying the following message:

"Failed to connect. Check your internet connection and try again."

A check of the internet connection shows it is OK. The browser connects to the internet, etc. The Hardwood Beta games on the other PC's on the network connect to the internet and Silver Creek OK.
Hmm I wonder if perhaps the game connection is being firewalled. You might need to add an exception for the game.

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:43 am

LilahRainsMomma wrote: I LOATHE the new continue button in between each hand. Having to just click on the old version was annoying enough but now actually having to remember that you have to click ON the continue button is making me NUTS!
Ya might be able to press "enter" to skip past it.

Maybe we can add an options, or do a click anywhere thing again.

larryboy1956
Guide

Post by larryboy1956 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:00 pm

Concerning the free accounts certain players have in the old version of hearts, will they retain those free accounts still for very long?

And, in the old version it is possible to remove the point tokens and gold dust from gameplay....how do we remove that in the new version?

Butta Bean

Re: Hardwood Games Public beta for Windows

Post by Butta Bean » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:40 am

Gromph wrote:
Sagwa wrote:Am I doing something wrong? I got the d/l for the beta. But it won't sign in.

I've tried 3 times now. Tell me it's not me . LOLOLOL
Can you explain in more detail why it won't sign in? Are you getting any error messages?
nothing , no details or anything

Gromph
Site Admin

Post by Gromph » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:26 am

For those still reporting connection problems:

There was a problem with Windows XP and Internet Explorer 6.0 that prevented the game from connecting.

We believe we fixed this problem with the update on 12/17/2010.

If you are still having problems with the latest version do this:

1. Run the game
2. Attempt to connect
3. Wait for it to fail
4. Right click on the title bar at the top of the window
5. Click Bug Report
6. fill in all the fields of report
7. Send me a Private message on here to let me know you've done that and I'll take a look at it

anniebanannie

Post by anniebanannie » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:52 am

Hello,
when u first posted the beta was open I downloaded it,,but i guess I choice the wrong membership as I did not get the plus, I have a key, I removed it and e downloaded it but i keep getten the same one,, there is no where to put key in,,can u give me the correct link to the plus membership please. Also i would like to say shame on u for offering a snowman avatar for christmas at a cost omg that was just wrong, you should of gave all members a oppoutunity to have it for free being christmas and all ,and too boot it was only for a limited time after thoes that paid for it!!

Thanks,
Annie

larryboy1956
Guide

Post by larryboy1956 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:33 pm

My question has gone unnoticed?
Here it is again , please answer...

Concerning the free accounts certain players have in the old version of hearts, will they retain those free accounts still for very long?

And, in the old version it is possible to remove the point tokens and gold dust from gameplay....how do we remove that in the new version?