Hardwood Games Public beta for Windows - Updated 1/21/2011

User avatar
Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One
Posts: 5005
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2002 3:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Hardwood Games Public beta for Windows - Updated 12/17/2

Post by Jonas » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:49 pm

larryboy1956 wrote:My question has gone unnoticed?
Here it is again , please answer...

Concerning the free accounts certain players have in the old version of hearts, will they retain those free accounts still for very long?
I don't know.
larryboy1956 wrote: And, in the old version it is possible to remove the point tokens and gold dust from gameplay....how do we remove that in the new version?
that's currently not an option. A lot of the options got kinda bloated, so the more obscure ones we're culled out.

WindSweptSpirits
Noob
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:49 pm

Re: Hardwood Games Public beta for Windows - Updated 12/17/2

Post by WindSweptSpirits » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:06 pm

To be honest I like every thing the "old" program offers just fine. I like having the fooms, open chat, *** multiple player id ***, and the reset button actually did make interacting with provies a better situation. I would gladly pay $35 dollars a year to continue using the existing "old" program, as I know it there is expense to provide our online fun. I haven't tried the new program, because there is plenty of good reason and fun in the versatility of multiple names. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm getting the gist that eventually, at some unknown point, the old version will be phased out. I hope before that happens you consider letting us keep interacting with all our existing benefits for a reasonable fee. Having played on this site since 2002, I see many problems in being locked into a single player name. There are too many cliques in hardwood and once someone in a clique gets a bug up their behind about you for any or no good reason, there will be no escape from the unnecessary unpleasantness that developes. Once the paranoids unjustly label you a cheater, there will be no way to move on and play without bias.

WindSweptSpirits
Noob
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:49 pm

Re: Hardwood Games Public beta for Windows - Updated 12/17/2

Post by WindSweptSpirits » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:23 pm

As an addendum and most importantly: I like my privacy. I don't think all of Harwood needs to know if, when or how much any of us play.

Zz_0_BratsEuchre
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:11 am

Re: Hardwood Games Public beta for Windows - Updated 12/17/2

Post by Zz_0_BratsEuchre » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:41 am

NUTS NUTS OMG ... i see the end of hw in near future ....... :( i see the DEATH of all smaller leagues... u see bare empty room I knOW $$$$$$$$ but this is way to far gone... so WHY NOW WHY SUCH A HUGE CHANGE N COST .... I NEVER THOUGH ID SEE THE DAY THIS WOULD HAPPEN....0O0O WELL NOTHING LAST FOR EVER NOT EVEN HW ... tho You Say HW is safe n wont go MY GUT AS A RULE DONT LIE :cry: ,,, MY GUT SAIS GOOD BYE HW

TOO COMPLACATED TOO EXPENCIVE YA IM NOT DA BRIGHTES CO0KIE IN HW BUT ALSO NOT STUPID

Sagwa
Active Poster
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:45 am

Re: Hardwood Games Public beta for Windows - Updated 12/17/2

Post by Sagwa » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:03 am

Two things I would like to address.

#1 Would you be able to change the announcement upon entering Smoots?
Some players aren't in the lobby hourly lololol While the upgrade is being discussed. (over and over)
When I try to help them at night, they've paid for it. Come back and complain that they couldn't even
chat.
Maybe to read, *We need players to try the beta, it's free to you via a link, put your key # in and name.*


#2 A lot really like the upgrade. A few, little more than a few; want to degrade it in the lobby. We all have
our opinions, (lolololol) Some do not like change! And of course some want everything free.
Yes we did pay for the game, but not once have we paid for your servers to use this game. We pay for Xbox,
to connect with other players. (example) Each game is paid for, and a monthly fee for servers via Xbox.
So here it is, lololololol
Why not start charging for the usage of your server, if players don't want to upgrade or continually degrade the upgrade?
8)

User avatar
Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One
Posts: 5005
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2002 3:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Hardwood Games Public beta for Windows - Updated 12/17/2

Post by Jonas » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:55 am

WindSweptSpirits wrote:To be honest I like every thing the "old" program offers just fine. I like having the fooms, open chat, *** multiple player id ***, and the reset button actually did make interacting with provies a better situation. I would gladly pay $35 dollars a year to continue using the existing "old" program, as I know it there is expense to provide our online fun. I haven't tried the new program, because there is plenty of good reason and fun in the versatility of multiple names. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm getting the gist that eventually, at some unknown point, the old version will be phased out. I hope before that happens you consider letting us keep interacting with all our existing benefits for a reasonable fee. Having played on this site since 2002, I see many problems in being locked into a single player name. There are too many cliques in hardwood and once someone in a clique gets a bug up their behind about you for any or no good reason, there will be no escape from the unnecessary unpleasantness that developes. Once the paranoids unjustly label you a cheater, there will be no way to move on and play without bias.
I'm definitely a proponent of allowing folks to have a few alias nics (that way you can use your stuff across all of them) which would be great for families etc. We have some development work to do to support the concept in the new system. Don't have an ETA on that, but I'll be cheering for the feature for ya. ;)

As for closing down the old client, we feel its pretty important to keep it running. In time we may not to have it for sale, so new folks will be going with the new system. However we plan to continue to allow it to still connect and interact.

User avatar
Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One
Posts: 5005
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2002 3:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Hardwood Games Public beta for Windows - Updated 12/17/2

Post by Jonas » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:06 am

Zz_0_BratsEuchre wrote: NUTS You Say HW is safe n wont go MY GUT AS A RULE DONT LIE :cry: ,,, MY GUT SAIS GOOD BYE HW
It will be okay :) HW is still the same HW, the old client will be able to continue playing, its just that new stuff will be added to the new version. So in time I hope we entice you to the new version, but we have no intentions to force the issue.

User avatar
JustMaxnMe
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:30 pm
Location: Washington State

Re: Hardwood Games Public beta for Windows - Updated 12/17/2

Post by JustMaxnMe » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:18 pm

So, as I understand this -- it is pretty much like Pogo now. You pay for a yearly membership that allows you to play all the games with full chat capabilities, but there are add-on that can be purchased separately? And you don't pay per game, but you do have to pay per nick or are only allowed one nick regardless?
Terri

User avatar
Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One
Posts: 5005
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2002 3:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Hardwood Games Public beta for Windows - Updated 12/17/2

Post by Jonas » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:08 pm

JustMaxnMe wrote:So, as I understand this -- it is pretty much like Pogo now. You pay for a yearly membership that allows you to play all the games with full chat capabilities, but there are add-on that can be purchased separately? And you don't pay per game, but you do have to pay per nick or are only allowed one nick regardless?
Ya that sounds right. On the nick front, you can have more than one nick but they are treated as separate accounts, and hence items and memberships apply to only one nick.

So its basically account centric instead of product centered.

Steppy Poppins
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:19 am

Re: Hardwood Games Public beta for Windows - Updated 12/17/2

Post by Steppy Poppins » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:42 pm

I've tried the new version a few times now; I wanted to give it a fair chance. I absolutely love the new back grounds!! I'm also extremely pleased that you've given us different music options. I have to say that as a current user of HW Euchre I have different feelings about the new version than I would if I were a brand new customer to the site.

As a brand New customer: I would be hesitant to purchase the game for the plain simple reason that in order to get the multi-player, online experience you have to have a paid membership before being able to try it out. Of course, this doesn't effect me personally because I already have my unlock code, but it's something to consider. The other thing is, it almost feels "forced" in order to spend your tokens. Rather than giving a default gnome avatar perhaps give the option of two or three gender specific avatars - I really hated being female and looking like a male gnome. As a new player, and not having a plus membership, being able to ask for help with "quick chat" isn't feasible either. One thing I really loved when I first joined here was being able to ask for help in the lobby and it was given warmly; just something else to consider.

As a current customer: While I love the new background options, and the new music, I feel as though I'm being cheated. Yes, with the membership comes free tokens, but honestly, to have to purchase fooms? And only one new foom?! A "Pong" pippet at that. I also have to purchase an avatar that is at least gender specific (I could care less really about changing the colors etc) I feel that to have a new background and ten pong pippets isn't worth the on-going cost. Truthfully, fooming is part of the fun - I'd waste all my tokens purchasing new fooms. While that's the financial point for the company, it's financially irresponsible for me. I'd much rather stick with the original version than waste my money on what I already have for a one-time charge. That being said, I would make a one time payment in order to change my background on the older version. I'd also be willing to purchase New fooms. I know this has been mentioned several times during games and in the lobby; we'd like to see new/different fooms. On a side note, I am glad that you moved our avatar from the bottom left-hand corner back to bottom center.

User avatar
Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One
Posts: 5005
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2002 3:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Hardwood Games Public beta for Windows - Updated 12/17/2

Post by Jonas » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:25 pm

Thanks for the feedback Steppy Poppins.

Steppy Poppins
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:19 am

Re: Hardwood Games Public beta for Windows - Updated 12/17/2

Post by Steppy Poppins » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:32 pm

I forgot to mention my complete thoughts on the chat and card deck choices.

Chat: The new version in the lobby is far more user friendly in terms of using emoticons and colors. However, I am disappointed that you can't chat in the lobby while playing a game.

Card Deck: the deck that you're given to start, is very difficult to distinguish b/t hearts/diamonds. I know it sounds silly, but for me it's true. I'm color deficient, so distinguishing shapes is the only way when I have all red cards together. This probably isn't true for everyone however. It does take longer for me to decide to call or pass; and that does upset many people because they think I'm attempting to cheat.

User avatar
Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One
Posts: 5005
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2002 3:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Hardwood Games Public beta for Windows - Updated 12/17/2

Post by Jonas » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:23 am

Steppy Poppins wrote:I forgot to mention my complete thoughts on the chat and card deck choices.

Chat: The new version in the lobby is far more user friendly in terms of using emoticons and colors. However, I am disappointed that you can't chat in the lobby while playing a game.
Oh you can chat in the lobby from a game. Works like it did before.

Steppy Poppins wrote: Card Deck: the deck that you're given to start, is very difficult to distinguish b/t hearts/diamonds. I know it sounds silly, but for me it's true. I'm color deficient, so distinguishing shapes is the only way when I have all red cards together. This probably isn't true for everyone however. It does take longer for me to decide to call or pass; and that does upset many people because they think I'm attempting to cheat.
Oh that's interesting, ya I redid the cards for making the clubs and spades more distinguishable. Maybe there's something I can do for the red suits. There is a deck I made that is kinda weird but meant for folks that need function over form, called "Color Coded". So if you can distinguish red,green, blue, and yellow, it might help.

User avatar
niknich
Active Poster
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:23 pm

Re: Hardwood Games Public beta for Windows - Updated 12/17/2

Post by niknich » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:51 pm

Jonas,

I have been reading most of this thread and would like to ask how this will affect families that have purchased more than 1 game on the old client. My husband and I have already paid for hearts, backgammon, and spades with three different keys. Would this allow us to open 3 accounts since we already paid for three separate games? Very confusing. Sorry if this is crystal clear to you but not to me :|

anniebanannie
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:32 am

Re: Hardwood Games Public beta for Windows - Updated 12/17/2

Post by anniebanannie » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:28 pm

can u please give me a reply to how to get to the plus download so i can enter my key I oiginately download the wrong one..want the plus one where is it???
Thank You,
Annie


=

Post Reply