Hardwood Games Public beta for Windows - Updated 1/21/2011

Cleokatrah

Re: Hardwood Games Public beta for Windows - Updated 12/17/2

Post by Cleokatrah » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:23 pm

Several Questions.

1. Where is the page/post that lists what is different in the new version? Shouldn't there be a page or something that lists all the new features/etc?

2. Can you kick someone out for being away at the start of the game now?

3. A friends list? A non friends list?

4. Has the deal mechanism been updated?

5. AI improved?

6. Away mode? Where you can set a game, post a message about being back in 5 minutes, and return without pissing people off? Also so people in the lobby will know you are afk?

AveryWeb

Post by AveryWeb » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:06 pm

Ok Jonas I need to ask this for everyones sake.

Are you serious that it is now going to cost a new player $35 per yr per game?

I just downloaded the beta for spades and went to multi player mode and it told me I need an account so I went to the page.

$35.88 per yr for one game?

That is digusting and you will find it very hard to find people that will pay that price.

I know I wont! Your graphics are not worth that cost.

Sheesh I play hearts Spades and Euchre, so now you tell me if I want the newer version I will be paying over $100 per year for those 3 games?

That is sad.

I want to foreware you that if you go forward with this pricing you will find it very hard to find new players. I only pay $40 per yr for over 50 games on a different site your site is not worth $35 for one game.

I will bet I would be able to find over 2,000 people that would say the same thing.

I am just happy right now that you are leaving the current members alone for the time being. I bought the package over 5 years ago and do enjoy playing here but not if it is going to cost me an arm and a leg for 3 games.

If you set up your membership to include all of the games you have then it may be worth $35 per year but not only one game.

Good luck with your beta version but I have un installed it from my computer cause I am not about to give up my license at the cost it is currently set at.
Alone we can do so little. Together we can do so much!

msch99

Post by msch99 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:02 pm

Disapointed. I will stay with the old version as long as possible. If you are going to charge, do it up front. Give me a price for everything, don't pussy foot around. If this was the version when I first joined, I probably would not have joined.

Dislikes: Takes 20 seconds to load with a quad core and 4 gig ram.
Cards are hard to see. The primary reason we are there is to play the game...Hello?
Why move the create a game? Could have changed the wording and left it in same place. Not sure of the benifit? Adds confusion for no reason.
Why have to go to menu, then exit. Just give me the damn exit button. Oh wait, I found the back arrow. That was clear as mud.
Buy fooms? Buy avitars? I am going to be pretty upset if I run out of fooms in the middle of game, and will NOT spend time running back and forth to a "store" to buy them.
The background graphics are nice...who cares? I make the room big so I can see rooms and chat, cover it up anyway. Should have spent the programing time on the cards.
I usually play with only one nic, so the multiple doesn't bother me much, except have to do something different for TD name. I am not exactly sure why it isn't allowed, but oh well.
Can't move the table. I don't like chat ballons, so the pop out covers up things.
Why go to a continue screen after a game is over? I haven't ever seen a real benifit to that. Just another mouse click and wait for no apparent reason.

Rooms and Tournament signups on first page.

Summary.

Sagwa
Active Poster

Post by Sagwa » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:11 am

Players of Hardwood. It's been repeated and repeated and repeated, in the lobby; in the forum.

You do *NOT* pay anything for an entire year.

Go to the membership plus, there is a link; put in your key #, press F6. Correct name on key, correct key #.
It gets you a *FREE* membership, 1600 to 1800 tokens. Head over to the store, easy to find. Choose all the items
you need, use your *FREE* tokens to buy them. I got three avatars, three backgrounds, three or four environments,
deck of cards, front and back; the table, free chat. And I still have about 200 tokens left.

Wa la weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, easy to do.

And you get one nic per account. Use the other bld for all of your nics. (for now)

Sagwa
Active Poster

Post by Sagwa » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:12 am

One last thing.

There is a new upgrade to clear up the cards and where you sit at the table.

Menu, check version and get the newer 56 bld.

HO HO HO Happy Holidays !

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:12 am

AveryWeb wrote:Ok Jonas I need to ask this for everyones sake.

Are you serious that it is now going to cost a new player $35 per yr per game?
No, there isn't such a concept as "per game" anymore. Membership grants multiplayer access for all of the games that support it. So currently that includes Hearts, Spades, Euchre, Backgammon.

Of course, as covered previously, there will be no change for the current client, so folks can keep on keeping on with the version they have.

As saga said, anyone with an unlock key for the old client can use that to get a free year of Plus+ membership, which is the one you referenced. If you don't care for it, the old client will still be there to welcome you back :) Ya really have nothing to lose.

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:20 am

@msch99

Hrmm shouldn't take 20 seconds to load, the intro take a bit of time, but you can click to skip past it which shaves off some time.

AS for some of the UI changes, (and we're still tinkering with that stuff) a lot of it was to make it touch accessible. In the last update I did redo the cards for more clarity and we fixed the names to be sharper as well. SO be sure you go to help-> check version to be uptodate.

AveryWeb

Post by AveryWeb » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:05 pm

Thank you Jonas for clearing that up!

$35 for all of your game each year is well worth it and I will be upgrading shortly!

It looked like it was only for the one game but since it includes all 4 woo hoo!

Now I am really happy cause this means I finally get to try out your backgammon! lol

Again thanks for clearing that up and I look forward to test runnning the beta's with you.

wolf_139
Active Poster

Post by wolf_139 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:05 pm

i get that we get the 1 year membership, and all that garbage. but lets be honest here folks why are we in the end going to pay for an upgrade that was long overdue. bad enough we had to pay for the original client. but the fact their upgrading and people who have already payed for the client will more or less be stuck with the old 1 unless we shell out more money. sorry sounds rediculous to me....yall have fun payin $35 a year to play here i'll go play at a site that respects its players instead of trying to swindle more money out of already paying customers. not to mention all the new people are stuck under this new structure. so my guess is in 1 years time this program will be as abandoned as mystic island. jonas, your company is in a niche market, and the economy is struggling. bad time for a good idea.

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:19 pm

I get that some people might think it's a raw deal that if they wish to use the new features and new client that, after their first FREE year of plus membership and all the tokens you need to get your avatar and fooms and all else you have today, you will have to start paying annually to maintain all that stuff.

The way I see it, SCE needs to have a revenue stream, and the path they chose compared to other things they could have done actually doesn't take away anything you have. You still have the choice to stay on the old client and keep playing it on the money you spent years ago on to eternity. *Or* you can chose to play the new client for free but with reduced functionality. *Or* you can take advantage of the offer that new players don't have by getting the free year of plus membership. The choice is yours.

They could have just decided to turn this into a pay site with no upgrade.

Or they could have implemented banner ads.

Instead - they gave you something you didn't pay for free for a year if you choose to take it... your choice.

I think that's a pretty nice gift.

Speaking of which, Merry Christmas to you all!
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:45 pm

Speaking of the holidays.... the new Snowman avatar and Candy cane avatar background are live! Check them out ;)

wolf_139
Active Poster

Post by wolf_139 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:28 am

They could have just decided to turn this into a pay site with no upgrade.

they already did that for the last 7+ years...most sites are free. although you may have banner adds, think about what your talking about here. free sites will always win this battle and when people come here and see they now have to pay yearly, their just going to go elsewhere. trust me i know it was hard enough to get people to pay a 1 off of $25 to play here. all this new garbage your paying extra for can be done yourself simply by edit. and yes they offer you the option to stay with the old client, but why should we have to stay with the old client they havent done anything to the program for 7+ years. no upgrades for that long for a site thaty makes you pay to come play here. not exactly a way to thank your loyal customers to say to them... hey we decided to finally do something other than just ignore our players, so we will give ya a year and then your gonna pay us every year. i dont see the site surviving, sorry. as much as i enjoy hardwood, this is about the biggest mistake they can make, as its going to drive any future players to the free sites.

Chevy43
Noob

Public beta for Windows - Updated 12/17/2010

Post by Chevy43 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:28 am

Jonas I think the new version will be liked if people trial it , and giving a year was a great idea. I do think more than one avatar ( was thinking like 3 ) should come with the price however. That might entice players....I never thought one price for the old version was too high...nor for what you gave us...Hopefully ... neither will the new version...but I know there is lots of time that you have for tweeking and changing....I , for one , would like to start enjoying coming to Hardwood to play spades with good players ....to me the new version might be the place. :wink:

AveryWeb

Post by AveryWeb » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:31 am

Well I hate to say it but those that figure noone will pay for this service is completely wrong.

People said the same thing about pogo when they came out with club pogo. They first started charging $19.95 per year for it and people swore noone would pay for it. Well now that their price is $39.95 guess what? They have over 1 million members paying for it. Dam and to think people swore noone would pay for it.

Let's put it this way.

You pay a one-time fee for the client right?

There are no banner ads on the site right?

Hmm where do you think this site generates their cash to cover the server costs that are incurred?

I hate to say it but I have been here noe for over 5 years and I paid $40 for 3 games. Well I will guarantee you that I have soaked up more then then in bandwidth over this time frame.

What you need to remember is it costs alot of money to run this type of game. And those free sites you were talking about are junk for the most part.

Mystic Island died cause the game sucks.

Game desire is dead cause the games suck.

90% of those free sites suck big time with their games.

I have no issues supprting the site with the annual fee in order to ensure the viability if this service.

New members will come and they will pay for the new client without an issue.

But yes you do have the option of remaining with the old client so what are you complaining about?

Ask yourself...

Would you rather pay the annual fee to support the site long term. Or would you rather deal with banner ads and intermissions just like the free members do on Pogo?

I will tell you the reason why club pogo was a success is people wanted rid of the banners and the intermissions. By doing the the games load faster without lags or delays during the game.

Look at it this way.

Currently I bet this site is not making any money or very little with the one-time fees versus the server costs.

This annual fee is needed in order to guarantee future upgrades and maybe even new games.

Stop and think for a moment.

How much do it think is costs just to make one of these games let alone run it. If the site was barely keep afloat with the one-time fee dont you think this may have been the reason this upgrade has taken so long?

I will be supporting the site with the annual fee as it is worth the cost considering it includes Euchre, Spades, Hearts and Backgammon. Not sure if it include the solitare one as I havent downloaded that one yet.

Half of the members will pay for the new client half wont so be it. You do have that choice, but also you need to remember that yes they are giving you the first year for free but at the same time you still have the old client on your computer!!!!

That is my 2 cents worth about this topic, give the new client a try you have nothing to lose but everything to gain!

wolf_139
Active Poster

Post by wolf_139 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:07 am

lol you seriously lost it. your comparing pogo to hardwood, there is about a 4 million player differential there. and honestly a majority of those members are not paying anything. small reminder though. this is exactly why zone shut down many of its games because after polling it, they found out they would be losing a majority of their people anyways. so they shut it down all together as a whopping 93% of the people polled said they would find their card games elsewhere. not to mention the fact that was back when the economy was booming. now most people struggle to even keep the internet as it barely fits into their budget. and you wanna make this more than a 1 off? yeah ok i see that working for a site that barely maintains 100 in the lobby during peak times, and off peak your lucky to find 30 or so. people are already turned off about paying a $25.00 1 off to come play here. do you really think they are going to pay a yearly membership for it now? this is ecactly why so many have left or will end up leaving. playng the same people over and over gets boring, and further limiting the amount of people coming to the site means even less new faces. and btw no it doesnt cost a whole lot to build and maintain a program as simple as cards. and hardwood is just another simplified card program with a few fancy bitss tossed in. i cant see myself supporting this venture as its bad for an already niche market, and is just going to drive more players away than its going to gain.