Looking for pards willing to read Master Spades

Spadesomniac
Active Poster

Looking for pards willing to read Master Spades

Post by Spadesomniac » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:04 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm reading the book Master Spades by Steve Fleishman and it totally rocks! I'm looking for pards who have already read the book, and liked it, or haven't read it yet but are interested in doing so after reading the rest of this post!

For those who don't know it, Master Spades is a book geared to already solid players who want to take their game to the next level. As a general philosophy, Fleishman advocates an aggressive take-no-prisoners playing style of going for the set on most 11 hands. But that's just the backdrop philosophy--the power of the book is in the details. For example, it teaches how to guess more intelligently which players have which cards in their hands as the deal unfolds. It goes into a lot of detail on when to trump and when it's better to save your spades. My favorite part right now is the advanced nil setting section which has already improved my nil setting skills.

There's a LOT of great material in this book and to attack it all at once is daunting. To make it approachable my idea is to pull off a small chunk--a few pages or a chapter--and really work on it and practice it and enjoy hashing out later what worked and what didn't.

I'm open to anybody of any level who loves being a geek about this stuff and might enjoy doing it with me either just once or twice or on an ongoing basis. Either rated or social is fine. If I get four responses perhaps we can coordinate our schedules and have a whole table of friendly thoughtful people.

If you're interested please post below and/or PM me here on this site!

Spadesomniac

dustin7609
Active Poster

Re: Looking for pards willing to read Master Spades

Post by dustin7609 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:40 pm

My recommendation:

If you're this advanced and into card theory, you should put in the time and learn/play bridge :).

Much better game, trust me. It's an investment of your time, but the reward is playing the best card game ever devised, imo.

You're wasting your time with spades, which is what I did for too long.

Only in bridge can you find the kind of partner you're looking for. And the good news is, there are a ton of them :).