Example of slanted deals

cbeth39

Example of slanted deals

Post by cbeth39 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:07 pm

This is not a new topic as it has been a problem for most players since I have been a member. This is just 1 example of the slanted deals. I played one game of No Pass. The dealer was a lower rated player my p was even lower the one on my right was similar in ratings as myself.
I went back to replay and took screenshots.
There were 9 hands
There are 16 point cards X 9 Hands= 144 point cards
out of the 9 hands the opps got 96 of them.
I could not nil on my low hand as I had k S alone with 8 clubs and only other face cards were a j & q D alone and a 2 H
I did nil on 1 of my hands but was set because I had 3 5 8 10 & q D, 6 C, 3 10,J, K & A H , 2 & 6 S.
I was set on hearts as my p had the 2,7 & 9 H.
The host on the table made some smart comment about bidding my hand because my partner who was just a lobby lotto P and had a terrible w/l ratio does not know how to use the cards he had, took all the bags so the 2 opps ducked everything & made us bag out.
This is not fair playing and certainly not a reflection of my playing ability. I am glad i don't bring out my high nics because with the way the cards are dealt and the abuse we get from, very poor, but very lucky players, My ratings would be as low as theirs. I don't like playing here anymore unless i have someone I know to play with. Players come on here, get lucky cards, and just flip cards and then talk smak like they the supreme masters of spade playing, Blowing all kinds of kisses to me <YUCK> totally ruining the "FUN" I come to get.
This was just 1 game but they are like this consistently. If I was granted the blessing of the hands my opponents got, the game would have been over in 5 hands instead of in 9. Just Saying. Ty

SSstar
Active Poster

Re: Example of slanted deals

Post by SSstar » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:22 am

I've seen some weird card placement going on at times too, but it's really tough to know if it's all random or if there is really an issue there. I don't think we'll ever really know.

H0LY C0W

Post by H0LY C0W » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:21 pm

Your so right about the slanted deals you can show them the screen shots etc they will explain it away. Lately its been the highest rate hosting game if they have a pard without to high of rating . There is no way to win and your right then the team getting the cards talk smak. But he will give you silly answer like buy the book to learn how to play. Hardwood a gr8 site if not for the distribution . Some time can get fair game but more than not you don't .

cbeth39

Post by cbeth39 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:30 am

I go back to alot of replays. The opponents have 8 and 9 hands and bid 4 and duck the rest. We would have a nil and 3 hand and they would set the nil and bag us 6 that's bad playing. This is not duck, duck, goose. They then say to learn the game or bid our hands. yea right. The way the cards are dealt there is rarely any chance of winning. I love spades but it's more fun if you win more then you lose but that's not possible here. I watched a 1800 nic drop down to 1500 within a couple days due to the card deals. They play great but you can't beat the bad dealer.

Galt
Grand Master

Post by Galt » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:00 pm

"I love spades but it's more fun if you win more then you lose but that's not possible here."

You really need to think about that statement. It presents a paradox. If true, eeryone would have a losing record, and of course that is not true. Similarly, everyone would have a rating under 1500.

Unless somehow someone at HW has selected out players who will just never get good cards, deals will always, and I mean always, even out over time.

I played a live event where in 3 games I bid over 2 one time. I played a live event where we lost a 189 point lead on the last hand of the game.

I will agree with you about the behavior here, between the quitting and trash talking it became unfun a long time ago.

MrAnderson
Active Poster

Post by MrAnderson » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:45 am

I agree with Galt. Card distribution is in no way wrong here. Remember, that 99% of the games have the cut deck option. So the player who cuts the deck "manipulates" the final card distribution.
Dies irae, dies illa
Solvet saeclum in favilla

Openshut
Active Poster

Post by Openshut » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:03 am

Pardon my ignorance here, but why would one think the distribution of the deck is by any means affected by cutting. All 52 cards are dealt out to 4 players making the situation symmetric. We can consider it to be a new deal but we cannot think that the distribution is affected in any way at all.

Galt
Grand Master

Post by Galt » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:16 pm

Well, the distribution per player is changed.

If the deck was set, for example, such that every other card is a good one, depending upon the cut, either one team or the other will get the good cards.

You are right in that the distribution pattern will not change, but the effect on the players of that distribution sure will.

Since most of the complaints seem to come from players who somehow believe that they get the short end of the stick more frequently than others, the cut feature (unless a pure fabrication by HW) would make that virtually impossible due to the laws of probability.

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:07 pm

That makes sense, unless you believe the conspiracy that the cards are adjusted even after a "cut" so the cards went to the intended player :lol:

I don't believe that, but just saying there's always a response.
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."

Openshut
Active Poster

Post by Openshut » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:47 pm

The cut deck feature can affect the deal as follows given Team A is A1, A2 and Team B is B1 , B2. Which will result in 4 outcomes O1-O4.

-Seating-gives--A1 B1 A2 B2
O1-----25%-------1--2--3--4
O2-----25%-------4--1--2--3
O3-----25%-------3--4--1--2
O4-----25%-------2--3--4--1

O1 Nothing changes.
O2 Hands shift to the right 1 place.
O3 Team hands swap.
O4 Hands shift to the right 1 place and swap.

This result in a 50% chance Teams end up with thier respective power from the uncut deck.

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:24 am

The slanted deals are happening in hearts also, it seems the higher rating you have the worse cards you get. I thought I was being paranoid but the other higher rated people have been seeing this also, I even brought out 1 high rated nic ( just to test my theory ) after taking a beating with 2 others. That Nic went from 1760 down to 1407 in a few days and it didn't matter if I was playing pards with my favorite pard whom I used to rarely lose with or playing singles and a lot of times the opponents had awful ratings and stats. I guess HW has decided to spread the wealth amongst the "poorest" players.

SSstar
Active Poster

Post by SSstar » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:55 am

You're going to take a huge hit in points if you lose to someone who has a much lower rating than you do. To avoid this, only play with players who are as close to your rating as possible.

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:26 am

well duh , I know that, you missed the point completely that I was testing the slanted deal theory. Oh and if it was just me thinking this is going on I would not say anything but quite a few other players are seeing the same pattern.

MaddogUSMC
Active Poster

Post by MaddogUSMC » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:47 am

Well looks like I am NOT the only one talking about the NOT random deal of cards
Kiss a Veteran today, without them you would not be as free as you are. Remember the ones who gave all they had for this country. From a Combat Vet.

SSstar
Active Poster

Post by SSstar » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:47 am

U.S. Marshall wrote:well duh , I know that, you missed the point completely that I was testing the slanted deal theory. Oh and if it was just me thinking this is going on I would not say anything but quite a few other players are seeing the same pattern.
I didn't miss your point, but there is no real way to determine if this is true or not. You can randomly get bad hands in a number of situations and that doesn't necessarily mean that there is something wrong. My point was that if you're worried about losing due to slanted deals, you can at least minimize how much of a rating-hit you take by playing with people who have a similar ranking as you. Honestly, I don't know if there is an issue or not. I think only the people involved in the game code can comment intelligently about that.