Example of slanted deals

Galt
Grand Master

Re: Example of slanted deals

Post by Galt » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:37 am

I should state first that I have not played here in about 2 years.

Around that time it became harder and harder to get higher rated games in reg pard play. Players were either leaving the site or moving to Cut. That, combined with the increasing level of quitting and uncivil behavior, caused me to move along.

These complaints about the deals, however, existed two years before that and two years before that and 2 years before that, and back to 1998. The interesting thing is that the complaints never came from high rated players.

I can guarantee anyone that Silvercreek did not have the dealing program written to assign cards based upon rating or seat color or avitar or any other possible imagined reason, and I am sure that it has not gone out of its way to make deals worse in the last two years.

I just went in and looked at the 11 nics that I had when I was playing, and the last one on the list is the one that I was using for most games toward the end when higher rated games basically didn't exist. That one I was using to play provi games and down games and games that I really should not have been playing in to begin with.

The ratings on those 11 nics are as follows:

1967, 1963, 1960, 1959, 1959, 1948, 1941, 1940, 1918, 1890, and 1747.

Lots of players did, and I'm sure still do, have much higher ratings than those.

I was never punished for having above average rated nics, and that does not even make any sense unless, as mentioned above, one is playing against opps who have comparatively substantially lower ratings. If everyone at the table has similar ratings, as should be the case, there is no way to punish someone with a "high" rating. If playing lots of down games, for the reason mentioned below, a higher rated player will just get his rating hammered.

Spades can be frustrating as heck, but learning how to win with lesser cards is part of the game. Plus, in the real world, about 20% of games will be almost impossible to win and about 20% impossible to lose simply due to the luck of the deal. It is how a player performs in the other 60% of the games that really identifies skill level.

Unless one is being singled out by Silvercreek to be punished by the deal, if the deals are as skewed as some contend, everyone would basically wind up with about the same rating level.

Many players, however, manage to overcome the curse of the deal.

That raises the question of why some players are not affected by the screwed up deals and others are.

The only logical answer to that question is that it is based upon a false premise.

herbal remedy

Post by herbal remedy » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:14 am

"Many players, however, manage to overcome the curse of the deal."

I only play in gnomes glen, a room where 1400's are plentiful...I have over 70 nics and they are all over 1600, actually only 2 the rest are over 1700s. My wins are higher then losses. Does that mean hw loves me better? or as Galt said " many players, however, manage to overcome the curse of the deal". I believe that is what I have done. I will play lower ratings too, but, I must play harder and smarter so not to take a big hit, in order to avoid that I have to at least place second. This is where you increase your skills, sure, we all know the basics of spades but there is more then just praying for good cards, the challenge is what do you do when you are dealt a bad hand?

Post by 2788963 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:06 am

It's random. Don't be paranoid. And why not play cutthroat if you don't want to rely on pard?

CaptinSpades

Post by CaptinSpades » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:49 pm

No there is something going on & I need to know the secret!
When I get to a nice win loss ratio hw is against me, ex.
One game I'm 3 books from win, opponents 10 & they get 11 books but bid 8 & we bid three & got set & if I nilled I'm set cause I had king & jack of clubs only and 2 of spades & they had ace of clubs only then cutting clubs.
Or I play hard & set opponents then very next hand they bid 9 books to my è, same after I win nil.
Or I'm about to win 5 books to go, they need 12 books, they get a miraculous nil & win by 3..
Someone tell me something got to give I've lost 6 straight on this same type of bs over & over!!!
Rating dropped 1000

CaptinSpades

Post by CaptinSpades » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:54 pm

No there is something going on & I need to know the secret!
When I get to a nice win loss ratio hw is against me, ex.
One game I'm 3 books from win, opponents 10 & they get 11 books but bid 8 & we bid three & got set & if I nilled I'm set cause I had king & jack of clubs only and 2 of spades & they had ace of clubs only then cutting clubs.
Or I play hard & set opponents then very next hand they bid 9 books to my è, same after I win nil.
Or I'm about to win 5 books to go, they need 12 books, they get a miraculous nil & win by 3..
Someone tell me something got to give I've lost 6 straight on this same type of bs over & over!!!
Rating dropped 1000

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:46 pm

Well, following that, if true, HW should be stacking the deck in your favour next time.

Happy spading!
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."