Interested in more cool features?

Would you pay for extra online features?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 04, 2002 9:14 pm

yes
25
49%
yes
0
No votes
no
26
51%
no
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 51

User avatar
Xuzika
Active Poster
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:15 pm
Location: Brasil
Contact:

Post by Xuzika » Thu Nov 28, 2002 10:04 pm

Elite, if you think well us that played in HW we are already a type of virtual elite, free sites exist many, and all we that played here, know very well about that, then exist free because we paid, because we want the best, because we looked for to be in a pleasant atmosphere, where supposedly our complaints and requests will be heard, all we at a long time are asked for modifications, and the one that me leaning, they are not new characters or fooms, but at least a simple way to reduce the cheating in the games, to be safe that you this playing a clean game, I know that Jonas already said if they wants cheat will do it for the phone, ok if the people have money to pay to be in the phone hours to cheat why not to block at least the ones that make them for messengers are come on Jonas that is not impossible of doing. And other thing nobody would be forced to pay, each one will know if you can or not to do that
Image

User avatar
omni_555
Grand Master
Posts: 2946
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2002 11:32 pm
Location: South Carolina

Come together, not separate!

Post by omni_555 » Thu Nov 28, 2002 10:39 pm

mickodie wrote:Some ideas might be: (feel free to add your own thoughts here)

Exclusive rooms characters or fooms for members only.
Advanced tourney features like Auto seating and our own league system and ladder rooms.
Extensive personal stats like win/lose trends. Rateing chart over time, etc.
Your own custom word filter ( block words that the main filter doesn't)

Any thoughts would be great,

:lol: It's a great idea Jonas! Case ladder has lots of people who pay for Gold, Platinum and Diamond membership. Not sure people understand how it would work though. I assume the fees would allow all members to participate in our own tourney system--with the paying members funding it. (I just paid for platinum --wonder if I can get money back :roll: ) Come on guys and gals -- you can come up with another ten bucks a month--I bet ya put more than that into the lotto.
Hey mickodie! As I indicated earlier in this thread, it's not just a matter of not being able to afford the one monthly fee that this site might charge - it's more a matter of the cumulative effect that paying for such services would have on the individual's budget. How often have you been bugged by a telemarketer who tried to get you to purchase or subscribe to his product, or the door-to-door salesman who tries to make a sale, all by offering you a very attractive "low monthly payment"?

...OK, I'll buy the set of encyclopedias. It's only $15 per month. And that $500 vacuum cleaner (that I could probably get at WalMart for $199) is a steal at only $20 per month... The extended warrantee I added to my new car purchase only comes to about $10 per month. Then there's the $20 per month that I donate through my local electrical utilities company to help provide electricity for needy families. Oh, and a couple of charities only want a commitment of $20 per month each - that's less than $1 per dsay!!! SURELY everyone can afford THAT piddling amount... But wait! So far, those "nothing little payments" have added up to $105 per month!!! And guaranteed there are DOZENS more out there looking for their own tiny slice of your pie! But the thing is, the pie is a finite entity. Eventually, no matter HOW small a slice the next person wants, there won't be enough there to accomodate them! :shock:

So, no, I am very sorry, but as much as I like this site and enjoy playing here, if something like a "premium membership" were introduced that would divide the current membership in any way, then I would be looking for another site to play on.

Oh, and mickodie... If you find that $10 per month is an insignificant amount that you wouldn't miss, you can have MY name and address. I certainly wouldn't turn down a monthly donation of $10 from ANYONE! :P
Playing games should be FUN - seek out your own level! Don't frustrate others unnecessarily. 8)

maxel
Active Poster
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2002 8:53 pm

Re: Interested in more cool features?

Post by maxel » Thu Nov 28, 2002 11:29 pm

Jonas wrote:...Would you pay a montly fee for a Upgraded membership status...

In a short word: Yes. Subscription fees are the norm, not the exception, throughout the Web. Some examples: Antivirus products, security sites, photo clubs, car clubs, email, etc. I am more than willing to pay a small monthly/quarterly/annual or even one-time fee for enhanced services, access, our own leagues, and customizable features.

Some of the posters have noted that some issues need to be addressed.

SuicideNil wrote:... Right now, there is so much to fix in hardwood that i doubt that players will pay more...



There are players that take advantage of outside IM's to manipulate ratings, but, by and large most folks are honest and simply play to enjoy the games. Beyond the issue of cheaters, not a single post that brought up "problems" had anything concrete to offer. Vague complaints of the ratings system, loss of "freedom of speech" (fyi, it's private property and freedom of speech protections DO NOT EXIST on private property), favoritism, and lobby jerks. Folks, these things exist on every single game site on the 'Net. Many of you say that there are numerous "free" sites out there just looking for more players. Sure there are, but do they have the level of quality of Hardwood, or are they simply Java-based games that are slow, 2 dimensional, and with none of the caring by their programmers that Hardwood has?

It comes down to bottom line, folks. The time and effort of the programmers is not free, the bandwidth is not free, the equipment required to run the sites is not free. I own all 4 Hardwood games, have paid for 5 separate keys to the 3 online games, and consider the cost a bargain. I've watched the place go from 50 or 60 players in Hearts nearly 3 years ago to what we see today. All of it took time, training, coding, and money. You get what you pay for, and TANSTAAFL


paul
Age and treachery always defeat youth and vigor.

Betty42560
Active Poster
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2002 4:06 pm
Location: Ohio
Contact:

Post by Betty42560 » Fri Nov 29, 2002 12:08 am

Here is my 2-cents for what it is worth.
I am permently disabled and on a fixed income. I have to budget and plan each and every expense well in advance. I am NOT alone in this, many on line are in situations like mine and use on line as they way of "getting out again" and having contact with others.
It is not a question of would I (and many like me) be willing to pay, but rather a fact that it is not (no matter how "reasonable the fee") affordable. The monthly fee thing might be great for others, but for myself and others like me, it will be one more thing I just plain cannot do.
Image Your attitude determines your altitude.

User avatar
Reina
Big Poster
Posts: 659
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:37 pm
Contact:

Post by Reina » Fri Nov 29, 2002 12:22 am

Having a chance to get more features if wanted, sounds like a good idea. Since it means no harm for the people who don't choose to pay more, then I don't see why not.
If it meant in any way that people who don't pay the extra were going to loose what they have right now, then I wouldn't agree, but this is not the case, so yes I would pay for new features.

User avatar
grandmaS
Grand Master
Posts: 5705
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2002 4:23 pm
Location: Washington State
Contact:

Post by grandmaS » Fri Nov 29, 2002 1:40 am

:cry: Ok well guess I will add my 2 cents too, I am a guide here as most of you know. I have given freely of my time to help make this a better site for the enjoyment of MOST, I say most because some would prefer it to be another dirty adult site like many of us left to come here in serch of a place where we could play without all that.

Would I pay a ONE time fee for an upgrade yes most likely, I pay to upgrade some of my graphics programs although that usually means dropping others lol, but monthly that might be tough. We are grandparents raising two grandsons talk about a tight income lol.

I realize that like any bussiness Silver Creek Entertainment needs to make money to stay in bussiness. So I would pay for an upgrade and expect new people to have to pay the upgraded price for the software. I am personally against the double system though of some do and some don't and those who do have extra benifits. I see this as causing problems of the haves and have nots, could have a grandfather clause for our current members that they don't have to upgrade but won't have all the features and posibley if it was a one time fee they could save up for it, like a little each payday.

I know I have even waited and asked my hubby for a graphics upgrade for Christmas a few times so something like that might work for more people.

Overall I love this site and never want to leave it but if it got too costly or I felt that because I couldn't afford the extra fees it became less enjoyable I'm afraid I would have to. :cry:
Image

I am woman I am strong

User avatar
omni_555
Grand Master
Posts: 2946
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2002 11:32 pm
Location: South Carolina

Will improvement sound the death knoll for SCE?

Post by omni_555 » Fri Nov 29, 2002 2:24 am

Very well put, grandmaS. I think that some of the posts that are agreeing with having a subscription service are not thinking it through in terms of the effect that would have on other members - I can't say whether it would be a majority, but I am sure that there are a lot of members out there (many who do not know of the existence of this board and therefore cannot be here to give their opinion...) who would endorse every word that grandmaS just so eloquently entered into the SCE Discussions record! :) And there are other people out there who are not currently members of the HW family who might never join if they see that a subscription is required. Subscription fees have kept me away from the popular MMORPG's such as EQ, UO, AC and so on. And I would not have joined HW if there had been a subscription fee when I was checking it out - in fact, I was almost reluctant to pay the fee to license the games in the first place, but I enjoyed the trial period so much that I decided to "splurge"! :)

Reina, I read your post several times...

"Having a chance to get more features if wanted, sounds like a good idea. Since it means no harm for the people who don't choose to pay more, then I don't see why not.
If it meant in any way that people who don't pay the extra were going to loose what they have right now, then I wouldn't agree, but this is not the case, so yes I would pay for new features."

"...no harm for the people who don't choose to pay more..." Well, the "harm" would be that people would feel more separated and isolated, and I think that it would be obvious that the players who chose NOT to subscribe would be at a great disadvantage regarding the overall quality of players who would participate with them in the "regular" area(s)...

As for your second point (people not losing what they already have), well, I think it is self-evident that with a two-tiered system that those people would lose greatly. For one, their friends and old playing partners might opt to subscribe, and there would be the loss of friendships that have built up over the months, years, etc. Sure, they would not technically lose any of the programming and gaming options they currently have, but such segregation would make this a very different site, and as I said before, if HardWood decides to go that route, I for one will sadly and regretfully bid my farewells and seek out another site for my Spades playing. I will continue to use the stand-alone game since I DO like the cool graphics and other features of the games, but the implementation of membership-by-subscription would alter the basics of this site to the point where I would no longer feel comfortable coming here to play.

Even with the bickering, cheating, and so forth that goes on now at HW, it has a sense of community and family that dividing the membership into "haves" and "have-nots" would simply destroy.

A final point on this, I have been rather vocal over the past months about things that I like and dislike here, things that I would like to see changed, changes that I would like reversed, etc. If I were paying a subscription for this service, I would want the site set up the way that I want to see it, and I would not be as tolerant of the little quirks and differences that we all get on here to discuss. If I am forced to pay a recurring fee for access to the "special membership status", then I would seek out a site that caters more specifically to the exact demands that I might have. Since it unlikely that I would ever find such a site (unless I created it myself! :) ), I guess I would just gravitate to the "best" of the remaining "free" sites, and put up with the java games or whatever was being offered. Again, I think that HardWood is the best site that I have played at in all the years that I have been gaming online, but that does not mean that if forced I will not go elsewhere.
Playing games should be FUN - seek out your own level! Don't frustrate others unnecessarily. 8)

User avatar
SuicideNil
Active Poster
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2002 8:43 pm
Location: Quebec
Contact:

Re: Will improvement sound the death knoll for SCE?

Post by SuicideNil » Fri Nov 29, 2002 5:36 am

Hi Omni,


I think you are right about the segregation who will happend if HW sell gold membership. People who said that this segregation will not arrive are: 1- very naive, 2- don't see that fact as a possible consequence. I read that people say that we are already divided because of the rating... Well, do we have to divided the " player community " more by separate people who will pay and people who dont???. I agree that people who wont pay will se the playtime quality reduce by a very good margin.. The member room will be free of cheating, quitting and others stuff... the free room full of it... And I Dare someone to tell me that it wont happend; because it will...

I also noticed that lots of people only think about their " little person " and didn't seem to get the big picture of all of this.. When you say " yes " to a monthly fees; the only thing who can happend is that fees will climb and climb more... to an extend were.. after taking the money of the players... the compagny decide to shutdown... I am very surprise to see people throw away their judgement for some fooms and a ladder league. Those Online improvement SHOULD BE FREE. EVERY LICENSE OWNER HAS THE RIGHT to play in an environnement free of cheating, abuse, quitting and other manipulating stuff. and RIGHT NOW, THIS IS NOT THE CASE. And by the way, if HW tell me that to play ONLINE is a privilege not a right it will be see by me as a joke. Because let's face it, NO ONE who buy the license buy it to play on his computer.So, if the Online play is a privilege; I wonder how HW will justified the price of the license. Without the Online play, this game DO NOT worth the 39.99 US i paid for the game. By saying this is a privilege; it make easier for them to hold any improvements.. you got what you got... that's it.. Hardwood says that their game is the best spades game ever made.. The software is good; but the rest... the online play... is very average..

If hardwood decide that people will have to pay for that; It will mean that, finally, hardwood is not a place to play spades. It's a place where we give you " the grand illusion " of doing so... because when a cie decide to hold novelties who can improve their game just to make sure to " cash " those novelties; It mean that all License owner will be screwed... because make no mistake about that.. HW use license money to create those novelties.. Do we have the right to see our playtime quality upgraded... Yes, i really do without paying... 1 more pennies... :!:
omni_555 wrote:Very well put, grandmaS. I think that some of the posts that are agreeing with having a subscription service are not thinking it through in terms of the effect that would have on other members - I can't say whether it would be a majority, but I am sure that there are a lot of members out there (many who do not know of the existence of this board and therefore cannot be here to give their opinion...) who would endorse every word that grandmaS just so eloquently entered into the SCE Discussions record! :) And there are other people out there who are not currently members of the HW family who might never join if they see that a subscription is required. Subscription fees have kept me away from the popular MMORPG's such as EQ, UO, AC and so on. And I would not have joined HW if there had been a subscription fee when I was checking it out - in fact, I was almost reluctant to pay the fee to license the games in the first place, but I enjoyed the trial period so much that I decided to "splurge"! :)

Reina, I read your post several times...

"Having a chance to get more features if wanted, sounds like a good idea. Since it means no harm for the people who don't choose to pay more, then I don't see why not.
If it meant in any way that people who don't pay the extra were going to loose what they have right now, then I wouldn't agree, but this is not the case, so yes I would pay for new features."

"...no harm for the people who don't choose to pay more..." Well, the "harm" would be that people would feel more separated and isolated, and I think that it would be obvious that the players who chose NOT to subscribe would be at a great disadvantage regarding the overall quality of players who would participate with them in the "regular" area(s)...

As for your second point (people not losing what they already have), well, I think it is self-evident that with a two-tiered system that those people would lose greatly. For one, their friends and old playing partners might opt to subscribe, and there would be the loss of friendships that have built up over the months, years, etc. Sure, they would not technically lose any of the programming and gaming options they currently have, but such segregation would make this a very different site, and as I said before, if HardWood decides to go that route, I for one will sadly and regretfully bid my farewells and seek out another site for my Spades playing. I will continue to use the stand-alone game since I DO like the cool graphics and other features of the games, but the implementation of membership-by-subscription would alter the basics of this site to the point where I would no longer feel comfortable coming here to play.

Even with the bickering, cheating, and so forth that goes on now at HW, it has a sense of community and family that dividing the membership into "haves" and "have-nots" would simply destroy.

A final point on this, I have been rather vocal over the past months about things that I like and dislike here, things that I would like to see changed, changes that I would like reversed, etc. If I were paying a subscription for this service, I would want the site set up the way that I want to see it, and I would not be as tolerant of the little quirks and differences that we all get on here to discuss. If I am forced to pay a recurring fee for access to the "special membership status", then I would seek out a site that caters more specifically to the exact demands that I might have. Since it unlikely that I would ever find such a site (unless I created it myself! :) ), I guess I would just gravitate to the "best" of the remaining "free" sites, and put up with the java games or whatever was being offered. Again, I think that HardWood is the best site that I have played at in all the years that I have been gaming online, but that does not mean that if forced I will not go elsewhere.
Last edited by SuicideNil on Fri Nov 29, 2002 6:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
If you cannot afford the truth; don't ask for it

User avatar
SuicideNil
Active Poster
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2002 8:43 pm
Location: Quebec
Contact:

Post by SuicideNil » Fri Nov 29, 2002 5:41 am

Reina,

It will harm people who wont pay, simply because they wont have the game improvements member will have. This single fact is the most harmful and probable thing who will happend... Improvements for the rich... C*** for the poor?
Reina wrote:Having a chance to get more features if wanted, sounds like a good idea. Since it means no harm for the people who don't choose to pay more, then I don't see why not.
If it meant in any way that people who don't pay the extra were going to loose what they have right now, then I wouldn't agree, but this is not the case, so yes I would pay for new features.
If you cannot afford the truth; don't ask for it

MizzzQ
Active Poster
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2002 7:37 am

Re: Interested in more cool features?

Post by MizzzQ » Fri Nov 29, 2002 6:32 am

maxel wrote:
Jonas wrote:...Would you pay a montly fee for a Upgraded membership status...

In a short word: Yes. Subscription fees are the norm, not the exception, throughout the Web. Some examples: Antivirus products, security sites, photo clubs, car clubs, email, etc. I am more than willing to pay a small monthly/quarterly/annual or even one-time fee for enhanced services, access, our own leagues, and customizable features.

Some of the posters have noted that some issues need to be addressed.

SuicideNil wrote:... Right now, there is so much to fix in hardwood that i doubt that players will pay more...



There are players that take advantage of outside IM's to manipulate ratings, but, by and large most folks are honest and simply play to enjoy the games. Beyond the issue of cheaters, not a single post that brought up "problems" had anything concrete to offer. Vague complaints of the ratings system, loss of "freedom of speech" (fyi, it's private property and freedom of speech protections DO NOT EXIST on private property), favoritism, and lobby jerks. Folks, these things exist on every single game site on the 'Net. Many of you say that there are numerous "free" sites out there just looking for more players. Sure there are, but do they have the level of quality of Hardwood, or are they simply Java-based games that are slow, 2 dimensional, and with none of the caring by their programmers that Hardwood has?

It comes down to bottom line, folks. The time and effort of the programmers is not free, the bandwidth is not free, the equipment required to run the sites is not free. I own all 4 Hardwood games, have paid for 5 separate keys to the 3 online games, and consider the cost a bargain. I've watched the place go from 50 or 60 players in Hearts nearly 3 years ago to what we see today. All of it took time, training, coding, and money. You get what you pay for, and TANSTAAFL

___________________________________________________________


Maxel are you seriously trying to compare a game to security protection, virus protection, photo editers, and email? Buddy you need to take a step back from here if you honostly believe these are all the same. The only things you can compare is a game site to another game site. Most of the things you listed as examples either are free (email)(photoclubs) or have a one time fee and then free upgrades.

Now you also said". Beyond the issue of cheaters, not a single post that brought up "problems" had anything concrete to offer. Vague complaints of the ratings system..." this shows at least to me that you dont know very much about whats going on in spades and the well addressed problems with, well addressed solutions. Also no offense to Hardwood but yea there are comparable free sites out there without even the cost of getting the software.

I know you are very involved with this site and are a "guide" and thats cool and had the ability to buy all the games. I dont think you have a good grasp on the feelings of a lot of spades players and what most see as problems as related with spades. If I am wrong I apologize however this is how I feel and how i took your post. Q

User avatar
SuicideNil
Active Poster
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2002 8:43 pm
Location: Quebec
Contact:

Re: Interested in more cool features?

Post by SuicideNil » Fri Nov 29, 2002 7:12 am

Hi Q,

I was feeling the same way about this post. No offense do to Maxel 8)
MizzzQ wrote:
maxel wrote:
Jonas wrote:...Would you pay a montly fee for a Upgraded membership status...

In a short word: Yes. Subscription fees are the norm, not the exception, throughout the Web. Some examples: Antivirus products, security sites, photo clubs, car clubs, email, etc. I am more than willing to pay a small monthly/quarterly/annual or even one-time fee for enhanced services, access, our own leagues, and customizable features.

Some of the posters have noted that some issues need to be addressed.

SuicideNil wrote:... Right now, there is so much to fix in hardwood that i doubt that players will pay more...



There are players that take advantage of outside IM's to manipulate ratings, but, by and large most folks are honest and simply play to enjoy the games. Beyond the issue of cheaters, not a single post that brought up "problems" had anything concrete to offer. Vague complaints of the ratings system, loss of "freedom of speech" (fyi, it's private property and freedom of speech protections DO NOT EXIST on private property), favoritism, and lobby jerks. Folks, these things exist on every single game site on the 'Net. Many of you say that there are numerous "free" sites out there just looking for more players. Sure there are, but do they have the level of quality of Hardwood, or are they simply Java-based games that are slow, 2 dimensional, and with none of the caring by their programmers that Hardwood has?

It comes down to bottom line, folks. The time and effort of the programmers is not free, the bandwidth is not free, the equipment required to run the sites is not free. I own all 4 Hardwood games, have paid for 5 separate keys to the 3 online games, and consider the cost a bargain. I've watched the place go from 50 or 60 players in Hearts nearly 3 years ago to what we see today. All of it took time, training, coding, and money. You get what you pay for, and TANSTAAFL

___________________________________________________________


Maxel are you seriously trying to compare a game to security protection, virus protection, photo editers, and email? Buddy you need to take a step back from here if you honostly believe these are all the same. The only things you can compare is a game site to another game site. Most of the things you listed as examples either are free (email)(photoclubs) or have a one time fee and then free upgrades.

Now you also said". Beyond the issue of cheaters, not a single post that brought up "problems" had anything concrete to offer. Vague complaints of the ratings system..." this shows at least to me that you dont know very much about whats going on in spades and the well addressed problems with, well addressed solutions. Also no offense to Hardwood but yea there are comparable free sites out there without even the cost of getting the software.

I know you are very involved with this site and are a "guide" and thats cool and had the ability to buy all the games. I dont think you have a good grasp on the feelings of a lot of spades players and what most see as problems as related with spades. If I am wrong I apologize however this is how I feel and how i took your post. Q
If you cannot afford the truth; don't ask for it

JJuman
Active Poster
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2002 6:05 am

Post by JJuman » Fri Nov 29, 2002 7:27 am

Personally, I would be reluctant to pay.

I still see basic issues at HW.

Repeat offenders of the "smut" and bickering that Grandma referred to.

How many times must a "player be warned or even banned" before they are frankly just plain not allowed to come back ?

Writing a "Dear Daddy Jonas" letter promising to behave and never do it again must be sufficient to return.

I am apalled at some of the nics and the cast of "regulars" who ALWAYS seem to be in the midst of the LOBBY crappola.....and nothing is done.

When the Guides and or Jonas or whoever addresses that issue....maybe it would be owrth paying for a site that "professes" to be family oriented.

Equally amazing is that some of these same repeat offenders play at other sites and don't say a word in the lobby that may be perceived as "offensive" because it is not tolerated. But at HW they are right in the thick of any argument or bickering.

Why ? Because it is not controlled here.

And yes I know there are other game sites far worse than HW for the SMUT.

Deal with the REPEAT offenders and I would consider some "added" payment.

We all have the ability to MUTE now.....but that ignores the issue. And giving us an extra foom to throw at them does nothing either.

If you want to be a family oriented site, then be one. If you want to be just another SMUT site with good graphics....then I tend to start looking elsewhere and won't pay an "added" fee.

User avatar
USA_Justice
Active Poster
Posts: 349
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2002 9:19 am
Location: Arkansas
Contact:

Post by USA_Justice » Fri Nov 29, 2002 8:59 am

I, too, wanted to comment that the things mentioned here that some people DO pay a monthly subscription for are voluntary. I do not pay for anti-virus, e-mail, or ANY program by the month.

As far as the money side and being able to afford it, I think it's just business. I would like to join the local health club and use their facilities whenever I want to. I can't afford it. Does that mean they should shut it down or not offer it? Of course not. If Hardwood became a pay by the month game site, some would do it. I know some people who don't play here because they can't afford the one time $25.00 fee. And, that's OK, but that's their business, not Hardwood's. For the people who would not or can not do it, the short answer is no, you would not pay for extra features. Some people don't go out to eat because they can't afford it. They shouldn't close the restaraunt because of it. They remain open for those who can come. Life is not fair in MANY ways.

Hardwood Spades is a business. I don't want to see it fold, I really enjoy playing here. The statement was not that "you will have to pay by the month to play here" (or not yet), it was that IF you want more features they couldn't offer them for free. A lot of people, including me, have asked for new features, and I know they take time and effort (= money). I only paid the $25.00 to play here because I thought it was a good value. I am by no means rich myself. We have 4 kids and they come first.

The feature I'm most interested in is the "program detecting" software that would let people know when someone switched away from the game. I only brought this up to make this point. Some of the features would have to be implemented across the board. If some had program detection and some didn't it would seperate players even more. Features shouldn't do that. I don't think it would be very successful to set it up so that Gold members would only play with Gold members (in the case of the software detecting feature).

As for other features, like new fooms and such, there are other ways of approaching it besides a "Gold" status. Just make them available if you want to buy them. Sort of like a "pay-per-view" foom library. If you don't want any extra fooms, don't buy them. But, maybe you want 1 or 2 pieces of the "Gold" membership, just not the fooms. Maybe you want the extra stats. Pay for that.

No matter what the feature is, I would consider paying a one-time charge for it, but I am almost convinced I wouldn't pay a monthly fee.
Image


"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

User avatar
SuicideNil
Active Poster
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2002 8:43 pm
Location: Quebec
Contact:

Post by SuicideNil » Fri Nov 29, 2002 9:53 am

I agree USA,

Whe you says : " only brought this up to make this point. Some of the features would have to be implemented across the board. If some had program detection and some didn't it would seperate players even more".

That's my biggest concern about that membership. I couldn't care less about foom, avatars and others goofy stuffs; what is important is features who improve the quality of playitme... I just dont think that HW want to implant that software all across the board. i really think they want to use that to sell more membership and that's why i think they shouldn't exist online membership...
USA_Justice wrote:I, too, wanted to comment that the things mentioned here that some people DO pay a monthly subscription for are voluntary. I do not pay for anti-virus, e-mail, or ANY program by the month.

As far as the money side and being able to afford it, I think it's just business. I would like to join the local health club and use their facilities whenever I want to. I can't afford it. Does that mean they should shut it down or not offer it? Of course not. If Hardwood became a pay by the month game site, some would do it. I know some people who don't play here because they can't afford the one time $25.00 fee. And, that's OK, but that's their business, not Hardwood's. For the people who would not or can not do it, the short answer is no, you would not pay for extra features. Some people don't go out to eat because they can't afford it. They shouldn't close the restaraunt because of it. They remain open for those who can come. Life is not fair in MANY ways.

Hardwood Spades is a business. I don't want to see it fold, I really enjoy playing here. The statement was not that "you will have to pay by the month to play here" (or not yet), it was that IF you want more features they couldn't offer them for free. A lot of people, including me, have asked for new features, and I know they take time and effort (= money). I only paid the $25.00 to play here because I thought it was a good value. I am by no means rich myself. We have 4 kids and they come first.

The feature I'm most interested in is the "program detecting" software that would let people know when someone switched away from the game. I only brought this up to make this point. Some of the features would have to be implemented across the board. If some had program detection and some didn't it would seperate players even more. Features shouldn't do that. I don't think it would be very successful to set it up so that Gold members would only play with Gold members (in the case of the software detecting feature).

As for other features, like new fooms and such, there are other ways of approaching it besides a "Gold" status. Just make them available if you want to buy them. Sort of like a "pay-per-view" foom library. If you don't want any extra fooms, don't buy them. But, maybe you want 1 or 2 pieces of the "Gold" membership, just not the fooms. Maybe you want the extra stats. Pay for that.

No matter what the feature is, I would consider paying a one-time charge for it, but I am almost convinced I wouldn't pay a monthly fee.
If you cannot afford the truth; don't ask for it

maxel
Active Poster
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2002 8:53 pm

Post by maxel » Fri Nov 29, 2002 10:37 am

Reina wrote:Having a chance to get more features if wanted, sounds like a good idea. Since it means no harm for the people who don't choose to pay more, then I don't see why not.
If it meant in any way that people who don't pay the extra were going to loose what they have right now, then I wouldn't agree, but this is not the case, so yes I would pay for new features.
Reina is correct. Any enhancement of the site is NOT intented to alienate other users, but simply make it more enjoyable for those who wish to pay an extra fee.

Consider this: If Playsite/Mystic Isle/The Zone wanted to do something like this, or start charging in the first place, do you seriously think that they would have even bothered to ask first?

My example of user fees for various types of software IS indicative of the web and software industry as a whole. Played EverQuest or U.T. lately? User fees. And well worth it.

Without funds, things stagnate. I for one am more than willing to pay more to get more. It's a fact of life, people. I think Jules had the best idea for implimentation: Make it a one-time upgrade fee.

paul
Last edited by maxel on Fri Nov 29, 2002 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Age and treachery always defeat youth and vigor.

Locked