Interested in more cool features?

Would you pay for extra online features?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 04, 2002 9:14 pm

yes
49%
yes
No votes
no
51%
no
No votes

Total votes: 51

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Sun Dec 01, 2002 1:23 am

Just to reiterate:

We are in no way looking at MAKING folks pay extra for what is currently available. We are only looking at options for folks that want extra features that could get them if they did join up for the extended membership. The average player might not be interested, but should be in no way disadvantaged. It would be like someone joining a club for balloon animal makers, if you had no interesting in making balloon animals you wouldn't join :wink:

I think we would structure it in a pretty transparent way so that it's only beneficial and not negative in any way to basic members.

A lot of folks currently do pay for these extra kind of features in Cases with no negative impact to folks who don't. If you don't like them you don't pay, but I don't feel like any less of a cases member if I don't.

Again, thanks all for your feedback so far. It helps us look at ways we can support the site into the far into the future.

SPOOKY TOOTH
Grand Master

Post by SPOOKY TOOTH » Sun Dec 01, 2002 7:56 am

:shock:

Well Geeeeeee Jonas?

Y ask our opinion? Seems as though ya'll have ALREADY made up ur minds ? Cause IF u had READ HALF these posts u'd realize that quite a few here DO NOT CARE to pay ANY more for ANY features!

I guess th 'poll' was a way of being able to SAY u involved the 'players' w/o actually doing so. Slick....

Regardless, it'll create a separation of the players and if u cannot foresee this, get some binoculars cause its just over th horizon..........

redsk1nsfan
Grand Master

Post by redsk1nsfan » Sun Dec 01, 2002 8:38 am

Hi all ..ok just giving my thought here..i think either i have misunderstood or a few here have...yes its extra features etc...but no one would be kept out of a game they just wouldnt have they extra fooms or avitars...from what i see they may would bekept out of the tours but that is all...SCE would never i dont think say u cant play here and u can and make a division between players......i too think alot of places are loosing their players b/c of a monthly fee to play there.. but that isnt what jonas is saying..i dont think he is saying ok one room for u and one room for gold etc members. its just the foom diff and a few extras...my choice is also change a one time fee...and when new ppl buy say u can buy this or u can buy this here is the diff...and the ones that are already here...here is your charge for it...and for those who dont have the money to pay the one time fee all at once can pay a monthly fee and chg a 1.00 to pay monthly...hey dont start yelling at me.. i know the insurance companys and diff places if u want to pay yours monthly or every 3 months u pay 3 dollars to do that.. so i am just giving food for thought.....but no i dont like the monthly thing...and jonas this is way I HAVE COME N CONTACT WITH ALOT OF PPL WHO DONT HAVE A CC OR A CHECKING ACCT...AND THOSE PPL WOULD BE LEFT OUT OR HAVE TO SEND A MONEY ORDER EVERY MONTH ... SO THAT would be alot of extra trouble...so yes one time fee....plz...
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

Smooch
Active Poster

tell ya wut I'd like to see

Post by Smooch » Sun Dec 01, 2002 12:23 pm

I'd like to see the ignore/mute feature STICK so I wouldn't hafta re-apply it from day to day. WHO KNOWS? It MIGHT just keep me outta trubble.
After all, I CLICK the same people all the time. And I would hope that the peeps I click are clickin me. This might avert fights in the lobby.
Better YET.... the ignore feature could make the ignored person invisable.
If I can't hear em and can't see em, guess that would make it sorta difficult to 'splain how I might be arguin with em.

Make ME happy TOO :D

shabnan
Active Poster

Post by shabnan » Sun Dec 01, 2002 2:35 pm

ohbwoy!this sucks major [insert body part in here]
i think its a pretty dumb idea to even suggest that.because look how many people are really on HW! it aint even 1000 players!so why making these lil silly monee changes if only maybe a small percentage will take advantage for it?if it would be a ONE TIME fee thing,i may could agree with it,but not monthly! thats what mplayer did,and of course they went bancrupt.they had these gold member rooms.but the people who befriended one another-either strayed away or just didn't pay and in the end it all went down!and on mplayer there were thousands of peoples!
i myself would not pay for anything unless its a one timer and that would have to be an considerate low amount!
i pay for cable,i pay for my own personal bandwith website (no not this one i have on yahoo),so and now HW too?
naw..not me.if you HW guys already have made up yer minds,none we can do about it i guess.but the majority on here i am sure would not want to pay for x'tras.the server isn't one of the best to begin with.i am on cable and sometimes my ping rises up to 1200!so yea that pi**es me off.i understand if there is tremendous bandwith usage,and i kinda saw that coming.but HW is stil a small play thingy.wait til ya get bigger or start to sell yer software in stores...word of mouth is good,but sales in stores is better.

shabnan!

Nana3
Grand Master

Post by Nana3 » Sun Dec 01, 2002 2:45 pm

I still can not figure out what all the fuss is about here, if you want extra features than pay a few dollars for them, no Jonas please not monthly, but If you are playing in tourneys do you get mad cause your pard has plat or dia and you don't. I was one that get 1 or 2 bux for winning, so i went gold, than I went Plat, Now i am Diamond, yes I pay a monthly fee of 19.95 just so I can assess my account and give bux to ppl that don't have any to play or maybe have them in cases but can't transfer them, because they not a plat or diamond member, so do they fuss and bicker because they are not plat or dia member no they fuss cause they don't have bux and I alway give to ppl that don't have them and lol they sign up for tourney and beat me so what I didn't bet the farm on winning which i seldom win anyway,
Yes Jonas I would pay extra for the new member features, but plz not a monthly thing, or give an option to pay monthy, bimonthly or yearly,
Just my little 2 cents worth,, Happy Spading ....

"When nothing is sure, everything is possible."
- Margaret Drabble

KansasOZ
Active Poster

Dont Fix it

Post by KansasOZ » Sun Dec 01, 2002 3:06 pm

Why add more features. Wouldnt time be spent better on fixing old things and creating new games for you to sell?

LeathrnLace
Active Poster

Voted No

Post by LeathrnLace » Sun Dec 01, 2002 6:02 pm

Hiya,
I have been working very hard for almost two years to attract new players to this site. The biggest objection is already having to pay anything to play spades, when there are numerous free sites available, and three others that charge a small monthly fee. Even when I talk them into downloading and trying the free evalutaion there are many that just won't pay the one time fee. This exhasberates me, as I know these same people don't think twice about dropping over $50 for a Playstation 2 or Xbox game. If there was a monthly fee added to the license fee, I belive we drive away even more players - no matter what the added features could be. Personally, if the features were awesome, I would be willing to pay a one time upgrade fee of up to $20 - but not monthly.

As for added features, I would love to see the following additions to spades:
:shock: The ability to invite players by name and reserve seats or protecting tables by use of a password
:shock: The option of adding Big Joker and Little Joker to the deck and removing the red deuces
:shock: Making a three player cutthroat table available
:shock: Incorporating limited but significant sounds/audio alerts
:shock: HW's own tournaments with automatic signup and announcement of winners like they do at Mystic Island or they used to do at WorldPlay

The following are not a big whoop to me:
:roll: More fooms or characters
:roll: Exclusive rooms characters or fooms for members only.
:roll: Advanced tourney features like Auto seating and our own league system and ladder rooms.
:roll: Extensive personal stats like win/lose trends. Rateing chart over time, etc.
:roll: Your own custom word filter ( block words that the main filter doesn't)

- and I sure wouldnt be interested in paying more for these.

So thanks for asking - but I hope you find another way to do what you have in mind other than charging a monthly fee.

mickodie
Big Poster

Post by mickodie » Sun Dec 01, 2002 8:04 pm

Why is this concept so hard to understand? People who want to pay do --those who don't, don't. DUH! :roll: I don't care about the fooms, but I would like our own Tourney System. Haven't you all been complaining about late starts and too many leagues? Jonas --you have to get down to details here. Would someone who doesn't pay be allowed to join the tourneys if SCE had their own system? Can't imagine that scenerio but ---
Have Fun, Play Fair, and Keep the Card Gods Happy!

SuicideNil
Active Poster

Post by SuicideNil » Sun Dec 01, 2002 8:20 pm

Hi,

I suggest you to read all the post in this topic before throwing something like " people dont understand a simple notion ". They do, but players have legitimate questions regarding improvements who can be implented across the board and others who will be offer to " member "... It's simple as that... :!:

mickodie wrote:Why is this concept so hard to understand? People who want to pay do --those who don't, don't. DUH! :roll: I don't care about the fooms, but I would like our own Tourney System. Haven't you all been complaining about late starts and too many leagues? Jonas --you have to get down to details here. Would someone who doesn't pay be allowed to join the tourneys if SCE had their own system? Can't imagine that scenerio but ---
If you cannot afford the truth; don't ask for it

mickodie
Big Poster

Post by mickodie » Sun Dec 01, 2002 8:24 pm

I did read them, that is why I said it.
Have Fun, Play Fair, and Keep the Card Gods Happy!

Tomes
Active Poster

Post by Tomes » Sun Dec 01, 2002 10:36 pm

I will likely post more on this (it is past my bedtime now, but i could not wait...) but here is my thought for now.

Amonthly fee is one that I likely would not go for. It would be devisive in that a line would then be created between the haves and the have nots.

- Exclusive rooms characters or fooms for members only.
We have been asking in hearts for rooms with better description in the name aso they are actually used and not to sit there empty.

- Advanced tourney features like Auto seating and our own league system and ladder rooms.
Don't know about this...

- Extensive personal stats like win/lose trends. Rateing chart over time, etc.
I have been keeping my own in Excel. My own rating chart over time. So this will not add value for me.

- Your own custom word filter ( block words that the main filter doesn't)
Not of interest to me. I am not easily offended.

My US$0.02 for now,
Tomes

ps - you should post this over in the Hearts board too!!

sniperjack

Post by sniperjack » Sun Dec 01, 2002 10:59 pm

Negative on the monthly fee.

The only change I would like to see is, you have separate rooms for partners, you need separate rooms for mirrors.

omni_555
Grand Master

Post by omni_555 » Sun Dec 01, 2002 11:53 pm

Well, this is certainly getting a lot of "airtime"! :)

I'm not going to make a long post tonite, I just want to pass along a quote the an old and dear friend of mine used a lot - "Justice must not only BE done, it must be SEEN to be done!"

Regardless of the intentions of SCE with the question about adding features for a monthly fee, it has created a negative atmosphere among much of the membership who use this forum. I have read Jonas' posts explaining what he has in mind for the "extra features" and how this will not impact players who decide to forgo those features, but the simple fact is that a lot of people already have a scenario in mind whereby they are playing in a game and another player has access to a foom that they do not, and this makes them feel a little cheated - rightly or wrongly...

And as for having designations associated with your name like "Gold Member" - well, just think back to the previous version of this discussion board where people were classified as "Junior Member" until they had made 30 posts (I think that is the correct number...). It was a very minor thing, but a LOT of people felt slighted by being referred to as "Junior Member", especially if they were old veterans of HW and had just recently begun posting on the message board.

OK, OK, it's just a game!!! But isn't one of the greatest pleasures of life competition?... And are there not MANY situations where games - even ones where there is no monetary prize at stake - have caused MUCH fierce competition, even to the point of physical voilence? Yes, some people take their gaming much more seriously than others. Is this necessarily a bad thing? Well, I do not take gaming so seriously that I would seek out an opponent and do him bodily harm, and I DO like to win. I also can at times be a little petty when it comes to the other person having a larger slice of pie than I do! :) It's all a matter of degree - some people will not care a hoot HOW many extra features others have as long as it doesn't impact on the game itself, ahile others will feel greatly slighted by not having the aforementioned designation in front of their name or the extra foom... It's all a matter of individual differences.

Jonas, believe the people who say that they don't care if extra features are introduced for one-time fees, monthly fees, or whatever, but ALSO believe the ones who have come out as being vehemently opposed to what they see as tiering, fostering elitism, or whatever other term they might use to describe what THEY see as an injustice.

Oops! Good thing I am not making a long post tonite! :oops:
Playing games should be FUN - seek out your own level! Don't frustrate others unnecessarily. 8)

My Selves

Pay for Online Features???

Post by My Selves » Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:24 am

:roll:

I am fairly new to this site, but have wondered how SCE can support it with one time fees. It is an extremely nice site and does take some ongoing work to maintain it, as well as improve features. I believe the owners have the right to charge for their product as do others on the internet. I currently pay small monthly fees for programs, and quite honestly, it is a pain in the neck, but necessary at times. I would MUCH RATHER see a one-time fee. I don't think Jonas is talking about anything exhorbitant here and, quite frankly, I get much more out of this site at its current cost, than other entertainment such as going to one movie a month. There's a lot of entertainment here for a small amount of money. I pay a lot more for cable tv and don't use it half as much. As for the elitism, it hardly seems that a small charge would be associated with that. However, I do think all people should have access to all.

And Jonas, I have never come to the Spades site. How difficult would it be to have your post in Hearts discussion, as well, instead of tellling people to come to Spades, or at least put a link in for them with your message.

Keep up the good work Silvercreek.

:arrow: My Selves