Delay n Play

SPOOKY TOOTH
Grand Master

Delay n Play

Post by SPOOKY TOOTH » Thu Nov 28, 2002 8:50 am

:?:

Yo Peeps...............

This may seem trivial but it is sure aggravating.

Why o Why do peeps 'hold' their last card? Most of us follow all cards played so its NO SURPRISE when they FINALLY lay last card. Is it to heighten the suspense?

Whatever the reason, do ALL of us a favor and JUST PLAY!!! Save the semantics and drama for th soaps..

SuicideNil
Active Poster

Re: Delay n Play

Post by SuicideNil » Thu Nov 28, 2002 8:58 am

Hello Spooked one,

I agree, there is lots of " suspense " amateur in games. The other problem is when they wait too often in a game, Others players wonders about opponents integrity ( you know when the waiting is followed by a coincidence... ). That's why we ( Usa_Justice, me and others ) ask to have a software who will told when players are away... At least, it will faster the game.. at the best, it could reduce cheating... 8)
SPOOKY TOOTH wrote::?:

Yo Peeps...............

This may seem trivial but it is sure aggravating.

Why o Why do peeps 'hold' their last card? Most of us follow all cards played so its NO SURPRISE when they FINALLY lay last card. Is it to heighten the suspense?

Whatever the reason, do ALL of us a favor and JUST PLAY!!! Save the semantics and drama for th soaps..
If you cannot afford the truth; don't ask for it

SPOOKY TOOTH
Grand Master

Post by SPOOKY TOOTH » Thu Nov 28, 2002 12:16 pm

Yo.........

I wasnt even thinking about th big 'C'. These are peeps that, for SOME silly reason thinks its 'cool' to hold last card for some tens of seconds b4 they play. I can only assume they think it adds to the suspense/tension in th game. All it does is delay the game. Its silly.

Most GOOD players follow whats been played. If u dont know exactly whats left, u DO have a pretty good idea. So this 'holding' last card is moot.

But, also, do YOU like it when others 'hold' cards? Probably not. A fast paced game is SOOOO more exciting! I cannot fathom why some peeps do everything BUT pay attention to game.

Had a peep a lil while ago set HIS OWN NIL cause he was on IM 'chatting' w/ someone and wasnt paying attention, 4got he bid nil. I'm sorry, when u agree to pard someone, its an un-written/implied contract that u WILL do ur best and PAY ATTENTION! Sure felt sorry 4 his pard........

SuicideNil
Active Poster

Post by SuicideNil » Thu Nov 28, 2002 12:37 pm

Yo,

You hit it right on the target. When you accept to pard someone, you accept to give him all your attention on what is going on the table. Sadly, lots and i mean lots of people dont take that committement seriously. This little thing is what is pissed me off :x the most. You know, Losing when it was a good game.. i dont care.. Losing because my P was doing others things... it's very, very frustrating. That's the main reason why i only play peoples i know well; because i know that they have the same committement as i have.. which mean give your pard some respect and be focus on the game. I can understand emergency; we can all have one... but most of time, that's people who chat on IM or surfing the net... Good Point :!:
SPOOKY TOOTH wrote:Yo.........

I wasnt even thinking about th big 'C'. These are peeps that, for SOME silly reason thinks its 'cool' to hold last card for some tens of seconds b4 they play. I can only assume they think it adds to the suspense/tension in th game. All it does is delay the game. Its silly.

Most GOOD players follow whats been played. If u dont know exactly whats left, u DO have a pretty good idea. So this 'holding' last card is moot.

But, also, do YOU like it when others 'hold' cards? Probably not. A fast paced game is SOOOO more exciting! I cannot fathom why some peeps do everything BUT pay attention to game.

Had a peep a lil while ago set HIS OWN NIL cause he was on IM 'chatting' w/ someone and wasnt paying attention, 4got he bid nil. I'm sorry, when u agree to pard someone, its an un-written/implied contract that u WILL do ur best and PAY ATTENTION! Sure felt sorry 4 his pard........

GypsyRoseL
Active Poster

Post by GypsyRoseL » Thu Nov 28, 2002 4:02 pm

I agree, a fast paced game is much more fun and that last card is usually no big secret. I get annoyed with anyone here at home that interrupts with questions when I play. Taking my mind off the hand even for a second can spell disaster and that isn't fair to anyone in the game.

omni_555
Grand Master

Auto Queue...

Post by omni_555 » Thu Nov 28, 2002 10:09 pm

Some excellent points raised here! Like anyone who plays a game where there are winners and losers, I like to win. But I have really enjoyed many games that I have lost if the game was a well-played and hard-fought game. I DO however get VERY irritated when I lose a game because of the innattentiveness of my partner. (Sometimes I have lost games because of my OWN innattentiveness, and when that happens, I invariably appologize to my partner and I feel very badly about it, but I try to make sure that happens VERY rarely...) Another irritating way to lose a game is when your partner is obviously very much a rookie, or simply doesn't care how he plays. A little off topic here, but I think that not only should a player have to PLAY a certain number of games in provisional status, but I think that before he gets out of provie that he must WIN a certain number. Some players have no clue... For example, in a game I played recently with a rookie player as a partner, he had nilled, I played A hearts on which he played a 3. Naturally assuming that a deuce would be safe, I played it, hoping to set the opponent's nil. The opponent sure enough had a 10, and his partner could not cover it, but MY brilliant partner played the QUEEN, setting his own nil, and complained to me about my playing the deuce and setting him!!! Oh well...

As for the original topic of this thread, I have set as default "Auto Queue", which will automatically play for me if there is only ONE possible card that can be laid. For instance, if hearts are lead and I have only one heart in my hand, it will play automatically. I don't have to click it. Also, the last card in the hand is automatically played when it's turn comes (obviously, since it is the ONLY card that CAN be played! :) ).

Some people have said that they did not like this feature, but they caan give NO reason for this. The only thing that I can think of is the little technique of delaying playing a card to indicate SOMETHING to their partner.

How does everyone feel about having Auto Queue PERMANENTLY enabled in games and NOT left as an option?... It will NOT change the outcome of ANY game since NO OTHER CARD can be played any way! ...And it DOES speed up the game quite a bit! :)
Playing games should be FUN - seek out your own level! Don't frustrate others unnecessarily. 8)

GypsyRoseL
Active Poster

Post by GypsyRoseL » Fri Nov 29, 2002 1:19 am

How does everyone feel about having Auto Queue PERMANENTLY enabled in games and NOT left as an option?... It will NOT change the outcome of ANY game since NO OTHER CARD can be played any way! ...And it DOES speed up the game quite a bit!
I like this feature and I use it constantly. One can stop the card being played by Auto Queue by clicking on it before your turn, however if the feature were permanent you'd know the player was deliberately trying to delay or being dramatic. I agree it speeds the game up which is also good, then again I like a fast paced game.

SPOOKY TOOTH
Grand Master

Post by SPOOKY TOOTH » Fri Nov 29, 2002 12:54 pm

DAYUM!!!

I've been here 2 yrs and this is the FIRST I've heard of 'auto querue'? SHEEEEEESH Sounds good!

Yea, I have noticed that some peeps delay playing a card to imply to their pard NOT to lead it again, LMAO. Like NO one notices?

I just played a Tour game w/an obvious rookie. She spaded each and every Dia played to 'cover' me. BUT, she left me WIDE OPEN on Spades. Was she thinking? I think not.........

When u see peeps n Tours, u assume a certain amount of competency. My experience, sad to say, is exactly the opposite. I guess its gotten to the point that if one of my 'regular' pards isnt around, I'll just not play.

SOOOOOOOOOOOO many say 'its just a game' and 'its all about fun'. True on both counts BUT, isnt it MORE fun to have a competitive game? Isnt it MORE fun when u actually have a chance of winning? Whats th point of playing if u just throw cards, any card? Hell, Bots do better than that!

Some of the BEST games I've played, I've LOST! By a few points! Its the excitement of a close game that I LOVE! Hate blow-outs.............

GypsyRoseL
Active Poster

Post by GypsyRoseL » Fri Nov 29, 2002 3:17 pm

The Challenge!! You challenge yourself to make a poor hand into something that will win or break even. Knowing that your opponents are excellent players and only skill will determine the outcome of the game. Or taking a rookie and teaching them something while winning (to name a few). BUT there are those people born without a competitive bone in their body, I know this from coaching competitive sports at traveling team level and also high school. You'd think they would have weeded themselves out before getting to a tournament here on the internet.

One reason I'm addicted to mirrors is the challenge of winning a hand that on first glance looks impossible. :idea: However recently I've come to the conclusion that I have to look at cutthroat mirrors differently or I will loose my sense of humor. :shock: LOL

"Auto Queue" works in every type game, it only plays a card if that is the only card that can be played.

SuicideNil
Active Poster

Post by SuicideNil » Sat Nov 30, 2002 9:56 am

Hi,

The challenge... hmmm... The challenge is always conditonnal to the cards players have. i mean, if you play mirror and the game is one sided ( It happend so often :!: ); the only thing the other team can do is throwing cards. I agree with Spooky when he says that lots of time, you will lose a game where you've been outstanding. Lots of time, my pard and I outplayed the opponent but lose simply because the cards was not there. Which lead to me to another point... The pleasure to play with a regular P.

I mean, there is nothing more pleasant then to play with someone you know. The 2 pards knows their habits and it's very fun whatever the result to play a game like that. The only thing, which is the tougher, is to find someone who can play in the same frame time as you. But when this thing is resolve, you are ahead for some good spading time and set for some good challenges :P

If you are a newbie, like i was, regular partnership is important to learn about spades if you didn't play this game before. My first 100 games in hardwood were less then satisfaying; in fact, i played like a GERANIUM. Throwing high spades for nothing, baggin for nothing and let opponent make precious hands... I was lucky enough to meet nice people ( Good ol Snarfy was the first ) and regular Pard who was kind enough to play a lot with me so i can study his playing. By doing so, i was more interrested in the " strategic " aspect of spades. So i start to read site and strategy about the game. The pleasure to play was higher and higher. Challenge is good.. but the pleasure to play with a friend and a regular P is better.

GypsyRoseL wrote:The Challenge!! You challenge yourself to make a poor hand into something that will win or break even. Knowing that your opponents are excellent players and only skill will determine the outcome of the game. Or taking a rookie and teaching them something while winning (to name a few). BUT there are those people born without a competitive bone in their body, I know this from coaching competitive sports at traveling team level and also high school. You'd think they would have weeded themselves out before getting to a tournament here on the internet.

One reason I'm addicted to mirrors is the challenge of winning a hand that on first glance looks impossible. :idea: However recently I've come to the conclusion that I have to look at cutthroat mirrors differently or I will loose my sense of humor. :shock: LOL

"Auto Queue" works in every type game, it only plays a card if that is the only card that can be played.

redsk1nsfan
Grand Master

Post by redsk1nsfan » Sun Dec 01, 2002 8:55 am

Auto Queue" works in every type game, it only plays a card if that is the only card that can be played....this one is great and i use it..some say they are scared afraid it will mess up and glitch..i have used it since day one it works great...as for SP i see what u are saying and i agree...i have even said hey would u just play your ? of ? .. and they asked how did u know what i had .. u can see my cards .....b/c u are with HW etc etc...NO folks..its b/c i watch my cards and most of the time i know whats left..if i dont know what it is i know its a very low dia or low what ever...sometimes i am wrong...i just missed a card..but most the time i am right...so plz ppl on last card play the card...b/c it doesnt make the game more exciting..it jsut drives me crazy....and yes i have delayed a game if its close..b/c i will tell ya y.. i have a pc of paper here and i am adding up what is what..and weighing my choices...so sometimes yes u do delay on like last hand of game...if i nil if i bid...what if they nil...and u have to add it up sometimes...b/c if i need 6 to win.. i will bid 6 knowing i cant get but 3 b/c u never know when something may walk for u or a pard...and hey what the heck u going to loose anyway if u dont...so what do u have to loose...but yes spooky i agree with ya.. its makes me :evil: when ppl do this...
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

SPOOKY TOOTH
Grand Master

Post by SPOOKY TOOTH » Sun Dec 01, 2002 12:15 pm

Yup.........

just about the ONLY time when I wish we had MORE time is on a 'last' hand, close game situation.............

InQUIZitor
Active Poster

Post by InQUIZitor » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:30 am

This still happens today. Years later

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:27 am

I feel this way about all 13 cards (17 in 3-way)..

You know the commercial on TV where she is standing in front of the shelf of cans of food and she says "Do you want Beef or Chicken?"

He says "I dont care"

and she mumbles "Juuuuuuust Pick one?"

lol when it comes to the suspence, and stalls thats what i usually mumble....

"Juuuuuust pick one!"

Spooky, it is good to see you!
The beauty of a woman grows with the passing years.

Butterfly
Active Poster

Post by Butterfly » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:26 am

What I have noticed thus far, a good idea might be to have a timer option...You know time to bid and time to play...or it automatically bids and plays whatever for you.

and yes this will work for all types of players, if you have more than 1 option for the host to choose from. There was 1 site, had timers from 5/5(secs) to 30/30(secs) to choose from.

the disadvantage is if a player looses connection/freezes, but so far if they lose connection/freeze its a disadvantage to begin with right?

this will curve the pause in play/bid, for those who just wanta stall, for those whod rather pay more attention to anything but the game they entered, and for those who choose not to play a fair game .