Signaling in Spades

Pefflyer
Active Poster

Post by Pefflyer » Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:34 am

Anybody got any aspirin???

Whew my head hurts now, maybe I can sum it up. If you dont believe in team strategy play stick with hearts ......thats why the game was designed.

If you like strategy with team play then play spades.

Team play in hearts is a variation, single in spades is a variation of the game, neither are the true actual games.

You can argue your opinions til next year comes, but this is the reality of facts. Hearts is hearts, spades is spades one designed for single play the other designed for teams.

Thank goodness!!! I just found my aspirin.

Happy Spading
Patti

MoonMaiden

Re: Signaling in Spades

Post by MoonMaiden » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:51 am

Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie to this site and online cards. I have only played on Hoyle so far...for 8 years! I love Spades and would like to try to play with real people. How do I start? Or am I too green for everyone? If so maybe you could recommend a website for me. Thanks!

MoonMaiden

Post by MoonMaiden » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:53 am

PS- I forgot to mention, I like what Just_ice has to say about signaling. Right up my alley as an old bridge player.

sandbar
Guide

Post by sandbar » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:32 pm

Welcome to Hardwood, once you download the game, just click on Multi Player, then choose which room you wish to play, Smoots if you play with a pard, but other rooms are available to play singles in, you will be most welcome to join any game without a blue V.

Until you have played 20 games you would be unable to join a game with a specific rating, i.e. 1450 setting, once the 20 games are played you can then join an appropriate blue v game for whatever your current rating is.
Social games do no count as part of the 20 games.
Guides are also available, they are the names in blue, so if you have any questions, please feel free to ask them.
:D
Good luck, and again, Welcome....... :mrgreen:

dustin7609
Active Poster

Post by dustin7609 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:54 pm

I think signaling should be allowed and also announced. I know there is no governing body, but this is just a matter of ethics imo.

I always state at the beginning what our carding and signaling is, and if the opps want full explanation I will provide it.

The thing is, most spades players have no idea what carding methodology is and dont really care so it matters not if I disclose it. This is even true in high level spades which is insane.

It's a shame, because if you take an expert partnership and incorporate good carding methods, you can really play this game at a high level. When you have both pairs in a game using good carding methods and understanding how to USE the carding, now you have a really high level game. Pairs who arent using carding agreements are just pissing in the dark.

In my opinion, carding is even more important in the game of spades than in bridge because there is no dummy. Of course in Bridge if you don't get the defense right you're pretty much guaranteed a bad score, whereas in Spades you can slip and still be in ok shape -- which is why the game is so appealing lol. Bridge punishes you much more for a bad play. You guys would be pretty shocked I think how sophisticated and detailed the carding agreements can get in high level bridge. The hard part of course is not just using signals. The hard part is knowing how to use them and then how to use the information you have to make a good plan.