Anti Quitting Features

MysticFyre
Active Poster

Post by MysticFyre » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:58 am

Tables are most often rated as a RULE in league rooms Justice. I dont think that would be doable unless the leagues started hosting more social tournaments... Doubtful.. to say the least 8)
"Intolerance is the last defense of the insecure."

Cadienne
Active Poster

Post by Cadienne » Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:07 am

Maybe if it's players just playing while waiting for tour or next round to start they should set it as social.
If you want the rainbow, you have to pass through the rain.

TrickS
Big Poster

Post by TrickS » Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:10 am

If it does still apply in league rooms there is the option to abandon which is not a quit OR the TD's have the option to kick at tables in their league rooms as well don't they?
ImageImageImage

Just_Ice
Grand Master

Post by Just_Ice » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:18 am

Fyre, I was specifically answering this comment...

players just playing waiting for tours

...sorry if I was unclear.

I really wasn't being specific to what kind of games, I was just inferring if you start a game you weren't sure would finish. I think in League games you typically FINISH the game. But, I think if it's a DQ it SHOULD be just fine that you show that game as "quit."

TrickS, that's a possible solution too, just abandon the game if you don't want to finish.

My question might be if you do DQ a team in a tourney, and they are forced to leave the game and the remaining team then abandons the game, will it really show as a quit in the team's profile that was DQ'd since it was later abandoned? The team that actually won the game would then not get credit for the win as well. Maybe not a serios problem, but something to think about.

Fiery Jack
Active Poster

Post by Fiery Jack » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:58 am

APPLAUSE!!!!!

A few comments though. (Did you expect anything less? *grin*)
Jonas wrote:1. Quitters won't be allowed to receive wins.
Marvellous. And not a moment too soon.
Jonas wrote:2. Established games will require you to complete at least 90% of of rated games if you want to join one.
OK.... so now we know the "small percentage".... as desired by Just_Ice. We also now know the minimum number of games a player has to reach before the "10% rule" applies --- 20 (TWENTY)

I DO like this.... although most of the slight misgivings I expressed in my previous post still apply.

I think there will be HONEST players - especially those using dial-up ISPs - who'll be "over the limit". I guess we'll find out in a few hours whether the now-visible "incompletes" begin when the changes are applied or whether they'll be "backdated" to include those already in our profiles.

It'll be fascinating.... helpful to the honest folk and a burden for the quitters.... if they're "backdated". Starting from scratch... a few players... particularly "newbies" and "regulars" beginning with new nics... are going to have a "bad ISP day"..... and accumulate more than 2 losses from their first 20 games. I think they may have a genuine grievance. The stats of long-established nics will give us a MUCH better insight into their owners' psyche (or their ISP).

Jonas wrote:Bottom line is, if you want to get points for a win, don't quit. If you play the bulk of the game, you won't be "robbed" for a disconnect or others kicking you out at the end of a game.
I doubt I'll EVER be persuaded to LIKE this (or its potential variants). As previously stated... QUITTING is the "crime" and it's the "crime" that should carry any "penalty" (IMO). What happens subsequently at the table abandoned by the QUITTER... OUGHT to effect the FOUR people playing the game at the table when the game ends. Essentially, the moment somebody QUITS a game.... it's a NEW GAME the moment a sub (or bot) takes the abandoned seat and throws a card. Maybe whoever joins should have a button whereby they can choose whether to be included in the ratings or not.... since if they're subbing for a quitter they're liable to find themselves in an unlikely-to-win situation. The advantage of that would be that subs would be more likely to remain and play out the game.... more fun for the abandoned players than finishing up the game with a bot.

Maybe you don't want to publicly REVEAL the answer to this bit.... but do I detect a LOOPHOLE?! I may as well state it because you can be sure that quitters will test it and KNOW within a few hours. OBVIOUSLY, there are certain actions a player can make which the software can (already does) detect - clicking "exit" or closing the table with the "x". But... if a player wants to QUIT.... and can avoid any penalty and addition to their profiles' "incompletes" by disconnecting.... can't he/she fool the software by powering-down their modem.... yanking it's connecting cord out, etc? I mentioned this in an "anti-quitter" thread WAY BACK. Didn't receive an answer then... and since it didn't apply to the game it didn't really matter. Now that it DOES apply... is it a LOOPHOLE that can be exploited, or not? Even if it is and can... at least it's an inconvenience to the quitter... so as loopholes go it's not so bad.

Anyway... I certainly appreciate that the quitter problem has finally been acknowledged and acted upon ..... and look forward to events of the coming days.

Cadienne
Active Poster

Post by Cadienne » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:25 am

As for as the sub I think they know it won't be a win or loss for them. They do it cause they know how if feels to be quit on so it's just pratice. It also helps their partner to calm down cause they are mad when you first sit. If the get the bot they just sit and get madder at everyone and maybe more apt to quit another game cause they see it as getting even or something
If you want the rainbow, you have to pass through the rain.

HotPoker4MyEyePlease
Grand Master

Post by HotPoker4MyEyePlease » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:50 am

*Claps* ty ty ty, Couple of things I would like to say.

1. This has been a long time comming & I do thank the SCE staff for doing something about ths large (to say the least) Problem. :D

2.I still think that the player that quits should not be able to join another rated game while the one they quit is still in progress. :evil:

3. :( Ya'll couldnt figure out how to use razor blades & rubbing alcohol? :P :mrgreen: :wink:

4. I only use abandon when I wanna give the other team a break because of unfair play or whatever, now I will not do that as it will reflect badly on me. :?

Huggiez & Pokez :twisted:
ImageImage

wardet el sa7arah

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:56 am

Well if EVERYONE abandons the game, the game basicly didn't happen and shouldn't be logged as a incomplete game.

HotPoker4MyEyePlease
Grand Master

Post by HotPoker4MyEyePlease » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:11 pm

Jonas wrote:Well if EVERYONE abandons the game, the game basicly didn't happen and shouldn't be logged as a incomplete game.

OMG after a tough 10m on IM Just_Ice finally got this trough mua think Pokey skull! When you say your abandon will be shown on profile u not speakin of useing the *Abandon Game* feature, you are speaking of incomplete games! *Doh* Quit confusing a pokey chick! LoL

So now Pokey can once again take pitty on peeps & chose to abandon the game if something is totally outta wack! :)

(Ty Ice :P )

Hugglez & Pokez :twisted:
ImageImage

wardet el sa7arah

MidNightWolf
Grand Master

Post by MidNightWolf » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:20 pm

I cant think of any sitution in the leagues that this would be a hinderance to.

Any special tourneys should be set up as social. (cause even without the recent addions, they would had effected rating points none the least in most of them)
Any dq's can be abondoned.
Any player waiting usaly play bot with is not rated.
Ladder games shuldnt be going on when theres a tourney getting ready to start.

Only this is pro of less chance of a pard bailing out on someone and holding up the tourney.

CR0W
Active Poster

Incomplete Games NOT a problem in League rooms??

Post by CR0W » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:47 pm

:twisted: Au Contraire Wolf...I beg to differ :roll: I use my NewYearBabyy nic for tours...and have subbed in quite a few..HW sends the original player back to his seat...pushes the sub out the door...and I end up with 5 Incomplete games..( on this nic) havent checked how many on NewYearBaby, and NewYearrBabyy..all other nics Ive used in past year for different leagues. Now I go in Smoots and I look like a quitter?? This is unfair...I think if we have to have this feature. :idea: .then they should SHUT off the RIDE back for the original player to the game..so that the SUB can stay the whole game....how bout that? Is that something we can look forward to??
Image[/url]

Razler
Grand Master

Post by Razler » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:02 pm

I don't ever recall being a sub and after orginal player comming back being removed from game by server and game being on my web profile as incompleted? And contary to what some may think, I have no problem subbing for peeps with clean records that get d/c'd from time to time, hell, it happens to most if not all of us sometimes.

If this does happen, send a report in to Dan, he'll be looking for new problems that creep up due to update.

CR0W
Active Poster

quitters

Post by CR0W » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:09 pm

:twisted: I dont "recall" it either, but today it shows all these incomplete games on my Tourney nic..what other explanation is it? it is only time that a game would be incomplete in a tourney , is if you leave it before its done...and thats when ya would...when you are subbin..
any other time , such as a table being made wrong..would be an aborted game, so thats not it. :?:
Image[/url]

wildfire_36
Grand Master

Post by wildfire_36 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:33 pm

how many people actually take the time to hit "abandon game" when a table is set wrong in an tourney room? Most just hit the leave button.

Therefore it WOULD count as an incomplete game. You MUST use the "abandon game" button for the game to be "nulified"
Check out my grandson, Cyan Stephon!!! His First B-day!!![img]

Haunted_Misery
Active Poster

Post by Haunted_Misery » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:44 pm

I think I'm having the same problem as CR0W here. Many Many games I've subbed for and been kicked from the game by the server when the player returns to that seat. And many many games in tournaments that the players are DQ'ed hence the game didnt finish we were all kicked out by the host, and now those ?? I'm guessing have also been added to my incomplete games from the past... I now has 81 incompletes on my name I've used since I came to Hardwood 3 years ago. May of 2001.

I'm not saying this idea isnt a kick booty idea it rawks but ahhhh I just feels like I'm being branded with a big "Q" on my forehead when I has never quit a game in my life unless it wasn't finished, Is ther way for these games to be calculated "After" the abandon feature was issued? Instead of from whenever they are being calculated from? Cause now since we all know abandoning a game will not give us an incomplete when we are in tournaments we will be able to abandon and the game never happened for us in Hardwood and people wont have to walk around with incompletes for those?

Is there a way to fix this for tournament directors or frequent subbers in the past?

I dunno but here's my profile :(

Is this a good amount or am I still in the pretty good percentage given that I've never quit a game on purpose?

I Love and Miss My Gammy Bunches.