errrrrrrrrrr Social?

Do you think we should make it so NO social games can be set in smoots 1?

No, leave it the way it is now.
48%
Yes, I think it may help make more rooms available.
42%
Dont care
4%
Click here for the one(s) I forgot :)
6%

Total votes: 50

HotPoker4MyEyePlease
Grand Master

errrrrrrrrrr Social?

Post by HotPoker4MyEyePlease » Wed May 05, 2004 11:24 am

Perhaps makeing it so you CANNOT set a social table in smoots 1 would help free up some tables? What do ya all think?

Keep in mind there is a room just for fun :wink:

SCE staff... is this a possible option?

Huggies & Pokez :twisted:
ImageImage

wardet el sa7arah

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Wed May 05, 2004 12:01 pm

There is Smoots 2 too, I don't see any reason why players who want to play social games should be discriminated against.

Would be like saying, anyone with a rating of over 1600 isn't allowed in smoots1, would you like it?

We need people to just get tired of having to wait and volentarily use the rooms that are provided for them no matter what type of game or rating, they have.

hugs and smiles
grandmaS

omni_555
Grand Master

Post by omni_555 » Wed May 05, 2004 1:06 pm

grandmaS wrote:There is Smoots 2 too, I don't see any reason why players who want to play social games should be discriminated against.

Would be like saying, anyone with a rating of over 1600 isn't allowed in smoots1, would you like it?

We need people to just get tired of having to wait and volentarily use the rooms that are provided for them no matter what type of game or rating, they have.

hugs and smiles
grandmaS
Sorry grandmaS, but I have to disagree with you here. I cannot see ANY discrimination with asking that players who wish to play social games do so in a more available area, ESPECIALLY at times when Smoots 1 is crowded with players looking for rated games.

Let's look at it THIS way... Let's say that YOU want to play a social game. People looking for a rated game are NOT going to join your table. This leaves only the OTHER players who are ALSO looking to play a social game to join you. In general, players wishing to play social games and those looking for rated games RARELY mix anyway. It's sorta like Singles and Partners games. Although there ARE the few players who regularly play BOTH, MOST players gravitate mainly to one or the other. Check out a dozed random profiles, and you will see that players in Smoots RARELY have a number of singles games that is even CLOSE to the number of partners games, and if you go to Gnomes you will find exactly the opposite.

Personally (and this is nothing more than individual preference) I would NEVER knowingly get into a social game in Smoots. If someone were to ask me to play a game for practice or to help them out with something, then I would (and have several times in the past) ask them to meet me in MM's or somewhere else to play.

Let's look at an analogy of sports played in a school or gym setting. In the school where I taught, there was a fairly large gymnasium. It sould host several basketball courts. It could ALSO host a number of table-tennis tables. There was another room where table-tennis could be played, but many people preferred to set up and play in the main gym area.

Now, given that there were three basketball courts marked out, if people wanted to play basketball and others wanted to play table tennis, who should be given priority???

Smoots 1 IS where people "hang out" to look for rated games. THAT is the overwhelming use that Smoots 1 is PUT to. If there are a half dozen tables used by people playing social games (and MOST of the social games will involve one or more bots...), then that is taking away space unnecessarily from people looking to use the room to its full capability.

No, I do not think that it is discriminating against ANYONE to ask that social games be required to set up elsewhere. In fact, I would go so far as to agree that RATED games not ebe allowed in Smoots 1, as long as there IS a place where players can go to play that DOES NOT allow social games.

As for your general question "Would be like saying, anyone with a rating of over 1600 isn't allowed in smoots1, would you like it?", I think that is not a very relevant question. I know of LOTS of higher rated players who would like to keep out lower rated players, but VERY FEW lower rated players who would not WELCOME a higher rated player joining them!!! So, as for a vote to keep 1600 players OUT of a rated room, I think that BOTH sides would vote THAT one down!

"We need people to just get tired of having to wait..." ??? Why should we make ANYONE have to wait??? If social games are taking up spots that could be used by players "waiting" for a rated game, then moving the social games to another area would SOLVE that part of the problem.

And face it, as has been said numerous times before, Smoots 1 is "where the action is" for rated players. No, I am NOT being a snob about this. I honestly think that it would be in EVERYONE'S best interests to have social games relegated to a different area.

...Maybe if a room were created that catered to ONLY rated games and everyone were made aware of that fact, we would see just HOW MANY players would gravitate THERE... 8)
Playing games should be FUN - seek out your own level! Don't frustrate others unnecessarily. 8)

MysticFyre
Active Poster

Post by MysticFyre » Wed May 05, 2004 1:38 pm

:shock: This has been a pain in the tuchas for a long time. You go into smoots because thats usually where everyone is.. Sit there for 15 mins clickin and clickin.. So you go to smoots 2....make a table.....wait.........wait.......wait..... usually there is only like 10 or 20 green nics in smoots 2...To make a rated table in there....There is usually a wait to find players who'll join especially if you make -100 or higher table. So you go BACK to smoots 1....clickin yourself silly.... scroll down the games and see there's 5 or more tables/ ppl just sitting in there... playing with BOTS..... DISCRIMINATING?????? Why would you go to the MOST popular lobby to play with bots????? I mean, to say its unfair to ask players who dont wish to play rated games to go to the "just for fun room" is ludicrous. Social=Just For Fun does it not? :shock: :roll:
"Intolerance is the last defense of the insecure."

Razler
Grand Master

Post by Razler » Wed May 05, 2004 2:14 pm

What we need is a way to link both lobbies together that will not adversly effect the server. Any putter whizs out there with a way to do that?

Just_Ice
Grand Master

Post by Just_Ice » Wed May 05, 2004 2:19 pm

I think I see a potential discrepency in the discussion here. I'll voice it and you can tell me if I'm right or wrong.

grandmaS is speaking from the standpoint of how things are. Currently, it is written in the program that you can make social games in Smoots. This programming means it is not up for discussion whether it is *currently* right or wrong to do so. The cut rooms are for cut games; pards rooms are for pards games. If there is a table setting in one of those rooms then a player is free to use it in that room. It is not even rude or inconsiderate to do so. Social games ARE allowed in Smoots. Asking them to leave is the rude part, as long as it is a viable setting within the room.

Omni, and maybe some others, are speaking of what they would like changed. If you change the program where you could NOT make social games in smoots, then it wouldn't be an issue of right or wrong, or rude or inconsiderate, because it just flat wouldn't be possible.

I think we shouldn't discuss social games in Smoots as being rude, CURRENTLY, it is just a choice or option... I think we should talk aboout whether or not it should be CHANGED.

... to which I will vote "don't care."

MidNightWolf
Grand Master

Post by MidNightWolf » Wed May 05, 2004 2:26 pm

I see the same argument with this one as many others that have been sugested for the same purpose. Making it unable to play social in smoots.

Well I think the point I usaly get for the other options mostly apply here. "theres not enough players who play social to merit its own room"

Where as I think one of the varitions, like pass or mirrors could hold its own in another room. Just make them unable to be played in smoots. Just in the room already set up for them (Wizards Domain = pass).

Now the catch 22, any point used against dividing one of these varations, could also be aplyed to dividing social out. (which also has a room for itself "Just for Fun).

Kinda like ring around the rosies, just depends on what tyoe of game people mostly play on what persective they take on this. Cause it not about what type a game it is, it about who get to stay in smoots for the greater chance of players and drama.

As far as smoots 2 goes, well I have been spending more time in it at night cause smmots one is toped out at 250 and smoots 2 is running around 190.... much more of this and well need smoots 3

HW_Heaven
Big Poster

Post by HW_Heaven » Wed May 05, 2004 4:49 pm

Well another option, although I personally don't like, would be to make all tables rated and have each room set at a rating {for example, 1500+ 1600+ and 1700+}

I don't really like this idea myself, but have seen it this way at other sites.

I agree with Wolfie that there is not alot of players who play socailly. Even if we were to make it to where paople couldn't play social games in smoot's, I think the most it would do is make people make them rated, I don't think it would keep any numbers down.

HotPoker4MyEyePlease
Grand Master

Post by HotPoker4MyEyePlease » Wed May 05, 2004 8:49 pm

Is it discriminating against peeps who want to play social to create an ENTIRE lobby so they may do so? *ponders that*

I did not say get rid of provisional games I said SOCIAL GAMES as in NOT RATED as in Just for fun. :roll:

Saying every room is rated to 1600? where ya get that from? :? Hummmmmmmmmmm perhaps ya'll thought I ment Provisional ? :?:

When I posted this it was simply a queestion, the other thing I did not mention was there have been times I have clicked & clicked & clicked then then *Doh* was set to social :shock: Pffffth, why not make the server give the same message that u get when you try to set a rated game from a prov nic? Have it say something like: You Cannot create a socical game in the smoots 1 lobby, please go to (blah blah blah).

And to answer the question, I would LOVE it if all the games in smoots 1 were rated. Not 1600 or any particular rate, just rated. Even unrated games that become such cause u launched with a bot perhaps could be done away with, the game is no good if you are trying to get rated & a LOT of the new peeps dont realize its unrated & cant figure out why peeps will not join them.

Just a couple of other points I felt compelled to add here.

Huggiez & Pokez :evil:

ImageImage

wardet el sa7arah

Cadienne
Active Poster

Post by Cadienne » Wed May 05, 2004 9:09 pm

:idea: How about all games be non rated in Smoots 1? That would make peeps use other rooms. :wink:
If you want the rainbow, you have to pass through the rain.

omni_555
Grand Master

Post by omni_555 » Wed May 05, 2004 9:36 pm

Cadienne wrote::idea: How about all games be non rated in Smoots 1? That would make peeps use other rooms. :wink:
SURE!!! GREAT idea! And I am NOT being facetious here! I REALLY think that is a GREAT idea!!!

Think about it... If only SOCIAL games could be played in Smoots 1, then the players who want to play RATED games could move elsewhere. Hmmm... I guess if Smoots 1 is restricted to social games, there would be nothing wrong with having Smoots 2 restricted to RATED GAMES ONLY! :D

PLEASE do that!!! See how long it would take before Smoots 1 would be practically emptied out and everyone would have moved to Smoots 2!!! LOL LOL LOL

Of course, MY idea is that one of the rooms be restricted to rated only games, and the OTHER allow BOTH types. And guess which of these two rooms would end up with the lion's share of the players???
HW_Heaven wrote:Even if we were to make it to where paople couldn't play social games in smoot's, I think the most it would do is make people make them rated, I don't think it would keep any numbers down.
OK, so there is a problem??? I don't think that we are debating whether these people should take up space in Smoots 1, just the fact that if ALL they want to do is play a "Just for Fun" social game (usually with one or more bots!) it would be nice if they went to another room to leave the spots open for the more "serious" gamers.

No, there is NOTHING wrong with playing a social game. I have played social games myself, but as I mentioned before, I have usually requested that the person who WANTED the social game fo to MM's and we would play THERE. Just trying to be a little courteous and considerate to my fellow Spaders in Smoots1 who are trying to get a rated table set up...

Just_Ice, you hit it DEAD ON with your analysis! I am NOT saying that we should be rude to players who currently set up social games in Smoots 1. As you said, they currently have just as much right to do that as the other players have to set up rated games. The point of my discusson is to express how I think things would work BETTER. After all, can anyone say that there is any FAIRNESS in having Smoots 1 set up to allow a player to set up and play a game against three bots??? I know this is probably ludicrous to consider, but just think if 50 such people got to Smoots 1 and did this, you would have 50 social games being played accomodating FIFTY PLAYERS!!! Do the same thing in Smoots 2 and where would we all be??? LOL

A couple of good points there too Pokey!!! It is a FACT that MANY of the times that unrated games get started in Smoots 1, they are UNINTENTIONAL!!! In just the past few months, I have been in at LEAST a half dozen games where neither myself nor even the HOST realized the game was unrated!!! As SOON as it was announced that the game was unrated, players would IMMEDIATELY leave!!! It DOES happen!!!

Also, as far as I know, social games do NOT count towards getting out of provie status, and a lot of newcomers do not REALIZE this and will play through 20 or so social games and wonder why they are STILL provisionsl!!! 8)
Playing games should be FUN - seek out your own level! Don't frustrate others unnecessarily. 8)

U KNOW ME AZ GOLEM
Active Poster

Post by U KNOW ME AZ GOLEM » Wed May 05, 2004 11:35 pm

IZNT THER A SOCIAL LOBBY?? OR HAVE I BEEN BANNED TO LONG ...HEE HEE :P

omni_555
Grand Master

Post by omni_555 » Thu May 06, 2004 3:13 am

U KNOW ME AZ GOLEM wrote:IZNT THER A SOCIAL LOBBY?? OR HAVE I BEEN BANNED TO LONG ...HEE HEE :P
Yup!!! ...To the FIRST part!!! But peeps simply don't wanna USE it... 8)

Nautiguy
Noob

Post by Nautiguy » Thu May 06, 2004 6:01 am

Well, yet another topic thats been discussed for two years...lol. This one seems easy enough....anyone who has spent any length of time in smuts..errr smoots...knows that 85-90% of the people in there want and play rated games, with the remaining 10% being guides, lobby rats, or social players....HELLO????? This should easily tell someone something...unless of course you want this subject to continue for yet another two years. Discriminatory? I think not....of course there always someone who will think so. In this case it is pretty darn easy to see what needs to be done.
Nautiguy

American Beauty
Grand Master

Post by American Beauty » Thu May 06, 2004 8:43 am

hi, are you a naughty guy, or not a guy?

J/K couldn't help myself, carry on.