Your bid?

ChasingMyTail
Active Poster

Your bid?

Post by ChasingMyTail » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:42 pm

You're bidding 2nd, sitting in Blue, RHO has nilled, what do you bid?

Openshut
Active Poster

Re: Your bid?

Post by Openshut » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:28 am

Red : -28/2
E/w

Blue: 134/4
N/S

Bids:

East, Nil
South, ?
West,---
North,--

South:
S: A, K, Q, 9,8, 5, 3
H: A,
D: A,K, J, 4
C: 9

Galt
Grand Master

Post by Galt » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:54 pm

I think that I would bid 8 and just sit back and see what happens.

I want my pard to bid Nil, and if I was playing with someone whom I knew and I knew played at a high level, I would bid 9 for the following reason:

Generally, high odd bids... 5, 7, 9, are considered to be Nil encouraging bids, while high even bids... 6, 8, are considered to be Nil discouraging bids (at least telling your pard that if he or she Nils he or she better be safe everywhere).

Bagging is a potential problem if our pard Nils, but it is not that big an issue. We will have a nice lead no matter what happens (unless of course both opps bid Nil
hands that make... highly unlikely).

If the other opp has all 6 outstanding Spades 9 could be a little tough, but we cannot play being afraid of such unlikely events.

ChasingMyTail
Active Poster

Post by ChasingMyTail » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:39 am

Openshut?

Just wondering, did you type out the hand for people who can't understand pictures? What would you bid?

Galt
Grand Master

Post by Galt » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:23 am

It helped me because I could not make out the score.

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:50 pm

Galt,

What about even numbers would discourage a nil bid. I would think if you bid before your p, the encouragement to bid nil would just be a function of how high your bid was (8 would be more encouraging than 7, 9 more so than 8, etc.). Are you saying if you bid 12 your P better bid the other 1 or find a new pard?
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."

Openshut
Active Poster

Post by Openshut » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:00 pm

I would bid 8 also . But I am more curious why this super safe situation, has motivated you to share. I figured no one was making out your picture so I took it upon my self to help. I am kinda be-miffed at your response Sailing. Because your partner is expected to do something and he does not, is actually a good thing rather than the opposite. Then if it turns out to be poor then that means your partner may need a helping hand or you need to move along.

ChasingMyTail
Active Poster

Post by ChasingMyTail » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:46 am

Openshut;

Ok, yeah, I can see now that the picture isn't as clear as it could be, I thought you could click on it here and it would show it full size. Why did I share it? Why not? Simple curiousity.

Openshut
Active Poster

Post by Openshut » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:38 am

This then tells me you might not be familiar with the concept of subtracting your counted losers. At times you can have a very strong hand and judging its strength can be tricky. So you assume you will defend the value of your hand solely , then subtract that which is out of your control.

You can also use the brute force method of evaluating your trump strength.
15-(N trumps) gives countable value cards.

as you have 7 trumps you get 15-7=8..... this means cards 8 and higher have bid value.

Thus now you can see both how to play your hand and count it at the same time; you will realize that loosing J of dimes will not hurt you but a direct attack on trump could leave you in a bad predicament.

Galt
Grand Master

Post by Galt » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:35 pm

Sailing, it is simply a convention like the Big 5 bid or the High/Low signal.

Obviously, this convention is used most often in the 5-7 bidding range, but 8-9 bids do show their heads now and then.

So if I have a 7 bid with the 2 and 4 of Hearts, unless points or bags are critical, with partners with whom I play frequently I would bid 6 to let them know that I do not have good Nil cover.

Once we get to 10, 11, and 12 bids, the score and bid pattern probably come into play more, but in general the same approach still holds merit.

There is a difference between a solid 10 bid with good cover and a solid 10 bid with the singleton 2 of clubs.