Unbelievable

SpadesFein
Noob

Unbelievable

Post by SpadesFein » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:39 am

http://www2.silvercrk.com/lobby/profile ... &ID=863619

I saw this nic come online, I wanted to puke.
Is this all there is, "hate?"

I don't see anyone stopping it.

hearts14
Active Poster

Post by hearts14 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:06 pm

You sure you have the right link? this nic is just a normal everyday nic.

SpadesFein
Noob

Post by SpadesFein » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:33 pm

If that profile is normal for here, then this place has gone to hell.

Try reading it again, unless you are the one that made it.

hearts14
Active Poster

Post by hearts14 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:24 pm

I'm sorry to disagree but there is nothing wrong with the nic I for I. Maybe it's the comment that bothers you or you have taken it deeper than what it is. But that is precisely why players shouldn't complain about others nics. What offends one person does not make IT offensive. Strictly perception.

And no I did not make the nic and no this place is not going to hell because of it. :roll:

FrshVaBreeze
Big Poster

Post by FrshVaBreeze » Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:11 am

I'm not sure I see what the big deal is either really. It doesn't bother me in the least. Esp if it really is a 10 year old. Sounds juvenile. I wouldn't think twice about it myself. :?

XtesterX
Active Poster

Post by XtesterX » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:04 am

Nothing wrong with 'an eye for an eye' . That's how I would read it.
Means the same and 'do unto others as you would have them do unto you' imho!
Imagine what a wonderful world we would live in if all would obey this
"Golden Rule"

Just_Ice
Grand Master

Post by Just_Ice » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:21 am

Well, it actually means the opposite of that. An "eye for an eye" returns whatever treatment given, usually meaning bad for bad. Like: you hit me so I'll hit you back. But, "do unto others" means you would be quick to forgive even if someone treated you bad, and NOT return the behavior. Like: "turn the other cheek" when they hit you.

*Steps off soap box*

In any case, I don't see the harm in the nic or profile.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:25 am

I think of it more as only do to others as you would have them do to you. So if you don't mind them plucking your eye then do so to another, can't think of many people that would mind this.

Also it is to treat others the in which you wish to be treated and goes hand in hand with treating others with kindness and fairness because that is how you wish to treated.

edit: do unto others as you would have them do unto you is what I was ref. too in this post not the eye for an eye.

JUST DUST
Last edited by Dust In The Wind on Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

CalculatedRisk
Guide

Post by CalculatedRisk » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:35 am

The Nic in and of itself doesn't breach TOS. I would not see that as one I would be drawn to censor. "I for I" could also mean every man for himself, the way it's written, I'm takin care of ME in otherwords, although I can see where it would lend itself to "an eye for an eye". I don't see where the nic or profile needs to be censored.

Just_Ice
Grand Master

Post by Just_Ice » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:39 am

Dust In The Wind wrote:I think of it more as only do to others as you would have them do to you. So if you don't mind them plucking your eye then do so to another, can't think of many people that would mind this.
So, if you like yours plucked, you have license to pluck mine? I mind that. LOL

/me puts on his safety glasses and hides from Dust

The intent is that you like good things done to you, not bad. So, do good to others, not bad.

"Eye for an eye" was based on the old law, and soley on after the first "eye was plucked" already and the offended was seeking justice. It wasn't saying "you can do it to others if you want it done to you." It was answering justice, or "an eye for an eye" as punishment to someone who offended another. It wasn't giving you the right to offend someone if you like being offended. :?

"Do unto others" is quite different. It is saying "do not return an eye for an eye, but if someone offends you, forgive them, and let them offend you again if it will keep peace between you, because that is more important than physical things." Agreed, it is very hard to find in our society today.

Okay, now I'm off the soap box. :)

omni_555
Grand Master

Post by omni_555 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:35 am

LOL Is everyone missing the main point here??? SpadesFein was obviously referring to the COMMENTS in that profile, and not specifically the nick "I for I". The original profile had comments that weren't very flattering to the player's Mom, and THIS is what I would focus on.

But it's all academic at this point, since the player "I for I" has REMOVED the comment from his profile!!!

As NICKS go, something like "I for I" is rather mild, regardless of HOW it is interpreted. I can't really see anyone making an issue of objecting to this nick SOLELY on the basis of the nick itself.

Of course, that's just MY opinion, and others may choose to take offense if they so wish.

Bottom line, in our quest to keep the site "clean", just how far are we willing to go??? 8)
Playing games should be FUN - seek out your own level! Don't frustrate others unnecessarily. 8)

CalculatedRisk
Guide

Post by CalculatedRisk » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:01 am

There were no comments there from the first time I viewed the profile, Omni, so I was just focusing on the nic. TY for telling me I was a little perplexed about it.

x MISSY x
Big Poster

Post by x MISSY x » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:47 pm

Yea the comments in the pro were rather negitive....BUT Poof its gone now...I suppose the problem corrected itself...

Post by ***** » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:10 am

The problem here is simply that the original poster is dumb.

FrshVaBreeze
Big Poster

Post by FrshVaBreeze » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:10 am

And since this thread seems to be coming to an end I will tell a story that is still 'on topic' so to speak regarding the I for an I comment.

When my daughter was 4 we were watching "Prince of Theives" which was Kevin Costner's movie about Robin Hood. Early on they showed a man in the dungeon or prison area getting his hand chopped off and I was explaining to her about how they punished criminals in those days by cutting off the hand that stole or poking out your eyes for looking at another mans wife and etc. She asked me if they ever cut off anyone's nose. (Ahhhh... questions from children!) I had to think about that a moment then I said I couldn't imagine what you could do wrong with your nose that would justify cutting it off. After a pause and some deep thinking on her part she says.....

"You could blow snot on the King".

This still cracks me up to this day. It has always been the single funniest thing she ever said. Sorry to break topic (sorta) but I couldn't resist the chance to share a classic funny kid story.