A nic name I question

lastrahm
Active Poster

A nic name I question

Post by lastrahm » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:52 am

OK, I have to ask. Is this name really allowable? Sirbarfsalot It makes want to do what his name suggests. :x
LAS

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:28 am

couldnt resist posting, i love the name conversations on the forum, it helps get to know people!

The name is kind of narly, My first thought was it must be hindering to gaining new friendships and then i thought.. wow what an ice breaker or conversation piece. lol I know id have to ask.. why on earth??

May be far fetched, and i could be way in left field with this.. but i try to see the best in everything when i dont know-or havent asked the horse himself..i try to draw positive conclusions first, uh..perhaps this is a cancer victim making humour out of a terrible situation with kemo??

Saw the name "eazyrideher".. I had imagined it would be taken quickly, but it stuck around for quite some time lastnite. Im sure its just a matter of catching it. I sat and tried to figure out the positive side to that name as i do with all of them, and unless his bike is named Betsy.. I just dont know.

I guess the question is about sirbarfsalot's name.. is being narly against the rules? lol i wouldnt pick the name (i prefer wicked over narly expressions), but i could understand them allowing it to stay because of the freedom of expression, even a narly one. I see your point too, though. Glad i dont have to make the decisions!
Your right to not have to see it, his right to be expressive to some degree (of course). lol Who wins this one? Does anyone know this charecter's age? Is narly a phase the male goes through at adolescence (or teenage) lol anyone know?.. my son plays with frogs and other slimey creatures, thats pretty narly, to me!!

xox
Hexa
The beauty of a woman grows with the passing years.

lastrahm
Active Poster

name

Post by lastrahm » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:39 am

NARLY? I thought that term went out years ago. Don't tell me it has come back! I can't find it in Websters. I think it may be gnarly.

Anyway, there is nothing that I can see in the rules about a gnarly/narly name. Which I don't consider this to be. I think it is gross. I have a weak stomach and it doesn't take much to set it off including seeing certain words and phrases.
:twisted:
LAS

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:00 pm

lol i see your point.. and i stand (technically i am sitting) corrected on the gnarly-narly word..Yes, gross would be a more evolved choice... but since my married name is Groce... I refuse to use gross as an adjective describing something yucky. But you wouldnt have known that, of course

Puberty, Premenstraul Cycle, pregnancy, childbirth, child rearing (and general care.. baby-burp.. baby-diapers.. colds- viruses etc..), toilet scrubbing, cooking (raw meat-handling), cleaning, laundry

You know It just almost seems impossible for a female to be so weak-stomached by just a word with all she may experience in everyday normal life (or maybe im just cursed...i had a baby with reflux.. YIKES, it was worse than the pea soup in the exorcist!! lol).

At 13, and after female-puberty.. if i freaked out over the frog disection in school.. it was an attention grabber.. Im sure of it :lol: I may even have told the nearest-cutest boy to catch me... i was sure to faint!

fiddle dee dee

xox
Hexa

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:13 pm

We do at times take names that are Really gross.

So thinking about it, I'd have to say there is kinda a common theme to it and it seems to follow this:

Anything leaveing the body above the waist, just gross.
Anything leaveing the body below the waist, REALLY gross :)

Thats not to say a person couldn't make it over the top even with a barf nick, like "I'lleatYourBarf" that would be really gross and likely be taken in short order :)

We have to playt these things by ear, and we make an effort to reflect a slightly relaxed view of was the genreal poplulation would think is apprate for the site.

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:19 pm

Jonas Posted:

Anything leaveing the body above the waist, just gross.
Anything leaveing the body below the waist, REALLY gross

Heh.. Excellent Explanation, I love it!

xox
Hexa

lastrahm
Active Poster

Name

Post by lastrahm » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:20 pm

OK, it was just one of those things that caught my attention. And I do have a weak stomach. There are a number of reasons why I didn't have children and my stomach is one of them. My husband cleans the litter box and take care of the pets when they are sick. I just stand by and "you know". :x
LAS

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:18 pm

This is off topic.. I didnt want to start a thread titled "dangerous litter boxes" but i wanted to share this. Those "in the know" like doctors.. dont share any info with us until it's to late, or damage is done. I had no idea of the information below until it was a problem for myself.

Women arent supposed to clean the litter box :wink:

Seriously, its not just an excuse i made and used lol.

Just FYI..The litter box (after used) will contain very high levels of toxoplasmosis in it. Now we humans already have safe levels of those toxins in our systems, however, and this is mostly in the case of those who ever plan on having children one day, If the level of toxoplasmosis in the woman's body is above a "normal" amount it is sure to be very damaging to their future/present fetus. It causes problems to the developement of important organs, such as and especially the fetus' liver. Even in some cases causing the liver to not develope at all. (as well as other organ undevelopements too)

I know this doesnt pertain to you, as you chose not to have kids, but i thought i would share this medical information which i stumbled upon from having to have multiple tests for this very thing when i was surprised with news of my own pregnancy and had been spending a lot of time volunteering at an animal shelter, in the kitten-condo areas for years. They took my handling of litter boxes very seriously, gave me multiple tests, i could only volunteer to play with kittens and mostly tend to the dogs after that (during my pregnancy), Everything turned out ok but they had advised termination of pregnancy in my 7th month due to undetectable liver functions in who is now my Daughter Syerra. Thank goodness i refused! She is a boderline anemic and just stays on a kids vitamin with iron, other then that we were lucky :)

Staying away from litter boxes during pregnancy isnt just a wives' tale. As i had thought.

xox
Hexa

Original diva

Post by Original diva » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:26 pm

IT sounds to me like it suggests he barfs alot. DUH :idea:

omni_555
Grand Master

Post by omni_555 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:11 am

Well, it seems that SOMETHING good has come of Sirbarfsalot's controversial name!!! It triggered HEXA's post about toxoplasmosis, and might very well prevent a serious situation from arising for someone reading this forum (or getting the info from a reader of this forum)!!!

Reminds me of something my grandfather once said - "No one is completely worthless! Even the WORST of us can be used as a bad example!" 8)
Playing games should be FUN - seek out your own level! Don't frustrate others unnecessarily. 8)

FrshVaBreeze
Big Poster

Re: A nic name I question

Post by FrshVaBreeze » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:17 am

lastrahm wrote:OK, I have to ask. Is this name really allowable? Sirbarfsalot It makes want to do what his name suggests. :x

Personally I think it would be going too far to ban that nic. Everyone changes nics here so fast all you have to do is be patient and it would most likely disappear on its own and how often do you have to deal with it anyway? I'm sure you can handle it. Its just silly.

omni_555
Grand Master

Post by omni_555 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:21 pm

...Whut SHE said!!!

Addressing the issue of whether the name should be banned, personally I feel that it isn't really a nick that I would choose for myself, and it DOES seem that it is going pretty close to the edge, but if I were a Guide or a member of SCE there is no way that I would outright take steps to BAN that particular nick.

As has been mentioned before, if we were to take into strict consideration EVERYONE'S personal likes and dislikes, the only names that would be left would be numbers, and even THEN there are some of THOSE that people would have objections to!!!

We all have to grow a little thicker skin, I think, and be a little more tolerant of others. Otherwise, we would have nicks containing the word "angel" being banned because of their RELIGIOUS connotation! And how about MY OWN nick - omni_555. Am I declaring that I am "better" than everyone else ("omnipotent" - all-powerful, "omniscient" = all-knowing, etc...)? Nope! Far from it!!! LOL

Then we have Flea - a nasty dog-infestation? Or Big D Sally - D? Really??? Does that refer to what those gutter minds THINK it does? And how about Suicide Solution? Is this suggesting that Suicide is a Solution to something? And Mr Feel Good... Now THERE'S one that we should get rid of IMMEDIATELY!!!

OK, is anyone getting just HOW SILLY all this is??? We can't police the world the way we PERSONALLY want things to be. We have to look at things overall as being a part of a larger community that we ALL live in, and accept that not everyone thinks as WE do. 8)
Playing games should be FUN - seek out your own level! Don't frustrate others unnecessarily. 8)

PurplePeril
Active Poster

Post by PurplePeril » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:37 pm

My dear old Gran used to tell me "You can see the bad in anything if you try hard enough ... just don't try" ;)
Jules aka Lady Jules in Hearts, TheWeakestLink in Spades, Mistress Gobalot in Euchre (how apt, I hear you cry! :lol: ) and JacquetJules in Backgammon)

omni_555
Grand Master

Post by omni_555 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:39 pm

PurplePeril wrote:My dear old Gran used to tell me "You can see the bad in anything if you try hard enough ... just don't try" ;)
Yup, PP! I would almost ask for a ban on YOUR nick, cause mention of the color "purple" reminds me of the kids character Barney, and I see RED whenever I think of him!!! LOL 8)

PurplePeril
Active Poster

Post by PurplePeril » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:43 pm

lmao ... too funny, omni ... I soooooo agree though ... 'bout time someone made THAT dinosaur extinct!
Jules aka Lady Jules in Hearts, TheWeakestLink in Spades, Mistress Gobalot in Euchre (how apt, I hear you cry! :lol: ) and JacquetJules in Backgammon)