Im undecided.. to many scenarios to give exact answer
44%

Total votes: 16

HEXA
Grand Master

Setting nil setters.. no or yes?

Post by HEXA » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:13 am

lol yes its that time again..

the discussion on the topic of setting nil setters.

Played a provie game individual 300/100

i was in lead..

North bid nil on table, east in 2nd close to my score, west in LOW 3rd.. north was nilling a lot and in very very low 4th as the nils just werent making it, poor guy was tryin and determined to make a nil! lol.

I had 8 bags lol. So i wasnt taking any extras, and a lot of extras out there. Nil went set. East ended up setting west (i bagged him to death, i think we all did, i didnt want them, nil was already set).

I said NS.

and then west APOLOGIZED for it saying "Sorry im not supposed to set nil setters"

So i asked "why not?"

He said high rated players dont play that way (i guess im chopped beef because im a provie), he said you work as a team to set the nil because its worth so much.. lol

i said.. what if its only 50 points? lol

I told him he was just to nice :)

In my opinion..

I didnt work with anyone to set that nil.. i played high when i had to even risking the nil making it if i had too (he was in 4th, i was in 1st i didnt care if he made it.. heck as low as his score was they might should have covered it -300 also ends the game).. got my bid and dumped the rest. If east doesnt make theirs.. tough.

In my case, about myself and my playing..If i were to set because i dont make my bid limboing for a nil then i either didnt bid right, or didnt play right lol its my fault. If someone else sets me while a nil is on the table.. good for them! Way to go!!

and.. in conclusion, having said this all, i add i do understand that some nils will make it because everyone does need to make their bid too. I dont make fuss about "helping the nil"

What is your opinion ...

ps.. everyone at the table was very nice :)

XOX
Hexa
The beauty of a woman grows with the passing years.

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:45 am

Um this was singles right? To me single is every man/women for themselves. But then um I have never been (probably never will be) one of those high rated players lol

Hugs and Smiles

I am woman I am strong

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:46 am

yes individual settings :)

Its ok hon, have ya seen the ratings lol my 1700's are slumming these days. people are in the 2000's :?

xox
Hexa

omni_555
Grand Master

Post by omni_555 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:30 pm

Depending on the situation, it is usually considered bad form to deliberately TARGET a nil-setter. On the other hand, if a player needs to make sure of his bid, then I would say that THAT would be his first priority (again, in general).

However, there are too many variables to argue this case one way or the other. If I were in the "driver's seat" and could win the game with that hand, setting the nil would NOT help ME but would help the OTHER players, and I would have no hesitation of making sure the nil setter got set if it ensured me the win.

Like grandmaS said, it's every man for himself. What would be the point of playing a competitive game only to be frowned upon for making the plays that win the game for you?

Bottom line, if it is not to your advantage to set the nil setter, it would be a nice gesture to pass up the set. But again that is not written in stone! 8)
Playing games should be FUN - seek out your own level! Don't frustrate others unnecessarily. 8)

XtesterX
Active Poster

Post by XtesterX » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:01 am

Playing to win is not rude, that's the point of playin, but setting the nil-setter just for the sake of settin, is, while not rude (though some players are), is just plain stupid.

Vidurr
Active Poster

Post by Vidurr » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:32 am

Playing to win, may encompass many different strategies.

It may mean going for the nil set.
It may mean if your bid is in doubt, forget the nil and get your bid.
It may mean setting the player who actually set the nil (thus a double set increasing your odds of winning).

If players play "don't set the nil setter"; it may very well affect the outcome of the game. Not only who wins, but who gets 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

Because of the gain or loss of rating points; I see people play not only for 1st place but also for 2nd, or 3rd place.

In three way, 1st and 2nd place are acceptable outcomes, 3rd is not. (1st gains points, 2nd breaks even, 3rd loses)

In 4 way: 1st, 2nd and 3rd are acceptable outcomes to avoid the bigger loss of points in the 4th position.

So even when playing to win, I see players who also play to achieve the best possible outcome for their rating.

And that may mean setting the nil setter. :-)

FrshVaBreeze
Big Poster

Post by FrshVaBreeze » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:39 am

XtesterX wrote:Playing to win is not rude, that's the point of playin, but setting the nil-setter just for the sake of settin, is, while not rude (though some players are), is just plain stupid.

1. It is a GAME
2. You play to win
3. Not sure why setting a nil-setter is stupid no matter what the situation. That is part of the game. I can understand how you could consider it "rude" if there is no point to it, but not stupid. It may be an opportunity to practice your 'setting' skills. :idea:

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:29 pm

Excellent Replies :)

This is a constant controversial subject in spades. I was just curious how all of you feel about it. Though i wont purposly set a nil setter if it doesnt gain me anything.. Like if they are much lower than me in score. It only adds to my unnecessary bag count.

However, If they are coming up behind me, or are in front of me in score.. you betcha!

xox
Hexa

x MISSY x
Big Poster

Post by x MISSY x » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:09 pm

I never set a nil setter its bad form.....LOL altho i will set peeps on the way out go figure..

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:53 am

LOL I had a bad day yesterday for playing.. i was trying to play "fair" i gave away tricks to some nil setters so no one would set.. and guess what?? lmao They set me!! heheh!! I thought to myself.. "that's what i get!" lol I would have set me too, i guess!

Also and This has nothing to do with the topic.. But i didnt want to create a whole thread for this.. Have you ever run into this problem?

Missy, yesterday i played a game with three males (individual 300/100).

On the 2nd hand in the game i had VERY low cards.. NO spades, 2 each of the smallest clubs and diamonds.. and all hearts ranging from very small and a few large. So naturally i bid nil

Of course i made that nil. I almost got set in hearts towards the end had they not saved all their spades and had no choice but to spade the heart that could have set me.

Anyway.. One of the males.. on The next hand Bid nil. His nil was set (he had some pretty high cards it was sure to be set)..

The WHOLE rest of the game he harrassed me horribly.. stating I won my nil because i was a WOMAN. Had he been a woman he would have gotten his too.. blah blah it was ridiculous! I didnt say much to him at all, I was shocked lol i had never heard that argument before. The other two guys were great though.. They told him he was being silly, had gone to far, and that they play to win.. etc.. I did win that game.. my score being 230.. I bid 7 just to end the game (300) and get our of there.. and i made my 7.

xox
Hexa

x MISSY x
Big Poster

Post by x MISSY x » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:35 pm

Ya shoulda told him yea i got my nil cuz im a woman which makes me much smarter...hehe

Just_Ice
Grand Master

Post by Just_Ice » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:53 pm

So, how's the weather?

(There's no way I'm getting drug into this conversation)

(That's proof that not all men are stupid)

(Wait, did I just get drug in?)

:roll:

x MISSY x
Big Poster

Post by x MISSY x » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:13 pm

LMAOOOO James....I do belive ya just inserted urself...Ya notice I neva said men were stoopid just that women are smarter hehe.

Its kinda hott here, but its a great change since we just came back from WA where our california tushies were freezin up there.

hows ur weather, or did u not want me to actually answer the question?? hehe

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:30 pm

lol @ you both.

Im going to Image

The weather is nice, (for july in Texas) It is hot, but there is a wonderful overcast. No sun to be found! Texans appreciate these kind of days, we bake even in the shade on a sunny day, otherwise.

XoX
Hexa

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:14 pm

Hehehe theres always something, I have gotten that from being the only female at the table and also gotten it for being a guide. Where they said I was getting some unfair advantage. Now me, I have a pretty low rating most of the time cause I play with anyone who wants to and play with a lot of newbys showing them around. So I simply tell them if I was getting advantages my rating would be a whole lot better then it is. ;)

Weather was great in Eastern Washington but were in Western Washington this week and I am freezing my tush off lol. On the East side I live in T-shirts ect. Didn't pack for the change in weather and have you ever tried to buy a Sweatshirt in the summer? OMG they are extinct until Fall hits. LOL

Hugs and Smiles
Cookies are chocolate chip with walnuts today :)

I am woman I am strong