RATING SYSTEM

inshua

RATING SYSTEM

Post by inshua » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:17 pm

:oops: CAN ANY 1 EXPLAIN THIS RATING SYSTEM FOR SPADES? :lol:

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:21 pm

Its pretty easy...........You win you win points, you lose you lose points, if you play someone with a much higher or lower rating then yours, you win or lose MORE points hehehe

Hope that will at least make you smile until someone else comes along with a better answer for you :)

I am woman I am strong

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:25 pm

From the Silvercreek webpage. And all i found to explain :)

Hardwood Rating FAQ

Q: How do the ratings work?
The basic idea is that the better place you get, the better it will be for your rating. And it's also important how you and the other players are rated before the game starts. You will earn more for besting a High rated player and conversely lose more to a lower rated player if you finish below them.

If all players are of equal rating you will more or less go up in rating if you are in 1st or 2nd and your rating will go down if you are in 3rd or 4th. The points you receive in the game are not used in calculating your rating just what place you earned in the game. (1st, 2nd. etc.)

Since most everyone players team (partner) games you are rated as a team loss or win. If you are on the losing team you will be compared to the members of the other team as losing to each the reverse is true if your team wins. In that case you would be rated as if you won against the individuals of the other team.

Q: What are the requirements to play a rated game? Why don't I get a rating!?
You 1st need to be in a rated room. Next, you have to have at least 3 human players from the start of the game.

Also, you have to play a game that's not using the shortest setting. For example you can play a 25 point standard game nor a 100 point spot heart game. They are just too short to show how good of a player you are and almost entirely luck.

If you aren't there from the very beginning of the game you won't be rated.

Q: Why did I just go down in rating? It looks like I should of went up!
If you have a higher rating than another player you are expected to win against that lower rated player. This may cause you to either not go up in rating or possibly down in rating.

So as a general rule, you better get 1st place or on the winning team if you have a really high ranking when playing a game against very low ranked players.

Q: Why did I just lose 150 points on my rating!
When you start out as a new player, you are in a provisional state. This is a very unstable time, it will fluctuate a lot until you get out of provisional status. It's just a placement phase, a way to quickly place you belong in the rating system, so don't worry if you drop 115 points, you might go up 150 next game.

Q: What happens when someone quits or disappears in a rated game?
I1. To be considered a missing player the player has to have been the original player in that seat and made at least one move, cut deck, bid, or played a card.
2. Other players will always be rated against a missing player.
3. A Quitting player will always be rated if their seat lost.
4. A missing player in a winning seat (1st or 2nd in a 4 player individual game, 1st in 3 way) will be rated IF they played more then 3/4this of the game (based on number of hands dealt), and they were disconnected or kicked. A player that chooses to QUIT the game will NEVER receive a win, only a loss.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How Hardwood Hearts calculates ratings. (probably works for other games)

Ok here it goes, I hope some of you are familiar with how rating systems on other online games work and can provide some feed back on how I decided to do this. I want to try to make this as fair and accurate as possible. The main issue I had was with how to deal with calculating ratings when there is 4 players. All the documentation on the net about chess ratings and such are for only 2 people. So here is how I decided to try it. Please post to the message board any questions or clarifications.

The ratings are based on the United States Chess Federation's rating system. With some modification. When a game is completed it compares you to each of the three opponents in that game separately. So say you get 2nd place it calculates your rating 3 times, once versus the 1st place person as a loss, once versus 3rd place as a win, and 4th place as a win. So basically you lost to one person and won against 2. The difference of the three new ratings and your original rating is then averaged together and then added to your original rating.

So say your original rating was 1500 and your three new ratings are 1475, 1525, and 1550. The differences would be -25, +25, and +50, summed together is +50 divided by 3 for an average of 17 and that is added to your original rating for a total of 1517.

Everyone starts out with a provisional rating of 1500. You get an established rating after completing 20 games. We use 2 different calculations based on who is provisional and who is established.

When a player is established and the opponent is
also established:
r1new = r1 + 32*(w-(1/(1+10^((r2-r1)/400))))
If player is established and the opponent is provisional
Points=16+(16*(n2/20))
r1new = r1 + Points * (w-(1.0/(1.0+pow(10.0, (r2-r1)/400.0))))

where:
r1new = player's rating after the match
r1 = player's rating prior to the match
r2 = opponent's rating prior to the match
o = player's outcome (-1 for loss, 0 for draw, 1 for win)
w = player's outcome (0 for loss, 0.5 for draw, 1 for win)
n1 = number of games played by player prior to the match
n2 = number of games played by opponent prior to the match
The beauty of a woman grows with the passing years.

gary
Active Poster

Post by gary » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:56 pm

that was funny hexe u minght go down 150 ratin points then up 115 or vice versa wen ur provisional

the ratin system from my experience is the same wen ur provisional

u start off at 1500 if u play a 1300 1300 players in ur 1st game and win u go up about 6, if u lose down bout 16-20

if in ur 1st game u get 1600 players if u win u go up bout 16-20 and if u lose down about 6

just relatin to the question asked now:

if u quit a game and ur team wins in ur absence u do not recieve those points just an incomplete game in ur profile however if u lose points will be taken from ur rating

hope this helps

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:07 pm

lol i didnt write the explanation, nor did i read it, it would have confused me to read it :?

I just copied and pasted from silvercreek.

lol here it is..

http://www.silvercrk.com/rfaq.htm

calculations here..

http://www.silvercrk.com/rating_math2.htm

lol
Hexa
The beauty of a woman grows with the passing years.

sream

Post by sream » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:00 pm

It looks like it is essentially the same as the USCF and FIDE rating systems for chess. Eventually your rating should settle to a number that accurately represents your skill level. The problem is that spades is a partnership game. I don't know if the calculations have been carried out to take all four ratings into account. Possibly average 'teams' and then weight +/- to each member of the team.

inshua

ratings

Post by inshua » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:42 pm

:D thank u very much :lol:

Vidurr
Active Poster

Post by Vidurr » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:51 am

The 100 - 150 point losses or gains was changed waaaaaay back.

Gary's observation of max 20 is pretty accurate again depending on the ratings of your opponents.

gary
Active Poster

Post by gary » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:10 am

the max is 30 no matter if ur 2000 points apart in ratings

u can get a rating calculator in any of cases homepages :ie blue box in tournament rooms u enter 2 ratings it tells u wat u go up or down

happy spadin