Opening Lead Made, Your Side Wins the Trick, Suit Returned

TrashCanCharlie
Active Poster

Opening Lead Made, Your Side Wins the Trick, Suit Returned

Post by TrashCanCharlie » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:21 am

You win the first trick that is led/ Trick one is now sitting quite defeated and placed nicely on your side of the table and you are thinking about trick two and what to lead.

All to often I see both sides win the first trick and return the same suit at trick two.

I may struggle with a few spades tendencies and many more nuisances in the game but I do know it can never be right for both sides to be attacking the same suit in as far as defensive and or offensive advantage are concerned/ Or is that the case?

I have some great answers to the puzzling question, do you?

Post examples of when you can see where it might be correct for both sides to lead the same suit trick one and two, also post examples where it would be horribly incorrect! Or post example where it is correct for you to lead the suit but was incorrect for the opps to make the lead in the first place.

Ahaaaaaa, I just gave away one case where it would be accepted to return the opening leaders suit.

Best regards,
Jay Tomlinson/Ruffgod1/TrashCanCharlie

MrAnderson
Active Poster

Post by MrAnderson » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:06 pm

There are some factors you have to calculate under some circumstance. First of all is the score and the individual bids. There are too many cases to give an ultimate answer. But its a good practice to lead back the suit and let everyone in doubt what you or your pard might have in other suits.
Dies irae, dies illa
Solvet saeclum in favilla

Galt
Grand Master

Post by Galt » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:20 pm

As I posted in your forum.....

It is much a factor of risk/reward. Are you content with the score and just don't want to get set? trying to bag? see a very likely safe outcome on the hand if you return suit? ... these are all good reasons to just continue.

There is often a risk to your pard to lead a new suit through him (killing kings for no reason is common among the community) so you should have a clear reason when doing so.

More aggressive play requires taking control of the hand, and often that requires switching.

Trite sounding maybe, but I think that leading mistakes take place at an exponentially higher level as skill level decreases . Better players seem to have a pretty good gut for leading I think.

TrashCanCharlie
Active Poster

re

Post by TrashCanCharlie » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:44 am

OK, can it possibly ever be right to lead the same suit as the opps has led in a situation where it was the best possible lead the opps could make at trick one and also the best possible return you could make at trick two>

You win trick one, you now return the exact same suit at trick two and it was the best possible lead that both sides could have made while playing the hand,

I'm from MO., show me?

Regards,
Jay Tomlinson/Ruffgod1/TrashCanCharlie

Galt
Grand Master

Post by Galt » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:31 am

Obvious one is East leads from a doubleton trying to set up a cut for some worthless Spades and you have the same hand.