Grand Master

table talk?

Post by HEXA » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:11 pm

played a singles game today.

west practically bid 1 the whole game.

everyone else had a large amount of bags making up the difference lol

East made a comment..

Then I said " suchandsuch likes those 1 bids"

suchandsuch (west) flew off the handle said it was cheating, i was calling attention to her 1 bids, said i was telling other players to bag her.

Her 1 bids werent a secret, Bagging her never crossed my mind lol we didnt need to go out of our way to bag her, she was in 4th and she wasnt going to get anywhere bidding those 10 pt hands (and she didnt get anywhere but 4th btw)
If i was going to bag anyone it would have been the fella above me in 1st.
as long as she continued to bid 1 i continued to stretch my bid and maintained 2nd.. my comment was just as it was said.. she liked bidding 1

Im just curious of your opinions.. was my comment table talk?

xox
Hexa
The beauty of a woman grows with the passing years.

Galt
Grand Master

Post by Galt » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:21 am

Course not.

omni_555
Grand Master

Post by omni_555 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:23 am

...Really depends on the group of peeps you were playing with. Most players would not consider what you said to be table talk, but in the strictest sense it IS.

It doesn't MATTER how obvious the comment you made was, it was STILL a comment that brought attention to something in the game that COULD possibly affect its outcome.

I guess it's all a matter of just where some people draw the line. If you had a score of 239 and I comment "<player> has 9 bags", THAT is an obvious fact, and is available for ALL to see. However, I would not be surprised at being called over the carpet for having engaged in TT.

Bottom line, in a "friendly" game with people you know, you can better judge what is and what isn't acceptable, and among a group of friends what you said would not be a problem. However, my personal approach is to just assume that there is at least ONE serious player in the group who would not appreciate any potentially game-influencing comments being made, and I try to ensure that anything I say in chat cannot influence the game. 8)
Playing games should be FUN - seek out your own level! Don't frustrate others unnecessarily. 8)

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:47 am

It is tough, I know in partners I get called to tables quite often for table talk and many if not most of the time what they said was "obvious" like were carrying 9 bags pard (taken to mean, watch the bags) or their bags are getting mighty heavy (taken to mean bag em)

Now everyone can see the bag count, its not hidden in any way but many do consider any mention of them to be table talk. More or less telling your pard how to play their hand.

In singles no one is partners so unless their is some kind of conspiracy going to make this low person get an all time low seems redundant at best, but some do believe that players will "pard" in singles and some who play both singles and pards take any and all comments of this sort very seriously.

Me, as a player, I like games to be games and work to be work, so to take it too seriously just isn't me. But, Me, as a guide if I got a complaint from the player about this I would ask you to please not make such comments in the future.

Sadly some of the joking around we used to have has gone by the way side as some people will use stuff like that for table talk, those of us who are just joking and trying to bring some fun to the game have to learn to shut up lol

I am woman I am strong

Galt
Grand Master

Post by Galt » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:05 am

Bringing attention to the score would absolutely be table talk.

That is much different than saying something like Joe sure has been getting bad cards, or Tom sure has been getting a lot of Nils, or that Mary seems to like those 1 bids.

If saying that someone sure likes those 1 bids was table talk, then virtually every Spades game that I have ever played would have to be considered frought with TT of one form or another.

How saying that could affect the play of the game I just can't see. If a player has been bidding 1 the whole game and an opp is too clueless to have even noticed that, I doubt that even telling him or her what cards the 1 bidder hand in his hand would be of much help in determing strategy.

Tater
Active Poster

Post by Tater » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:10 pm

There is NO way that is TT. In live spades jabs are tossed back and forth to intimidate the opps. If they always bidding 1 anyone with a brain would say something. TT refers to cheating, talking about a moronic way of playing and not the hand in play, is not TT.

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:28 pm

I dont think its TT either since it was in singles....many times in a game goin badly I will say....good grief 1 bid blues here or chicken nil....this is in singles tho and I could see how it might be considered TT in partners.... 8)
The Wilderness has answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask.

Tater
Active Poster

Post by Tater » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:36 pm

Thats where we differ, talking about the player and not the cards, is in no way TTImage

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:31 pm

Thank you Everyone for the replies, and the opinions :)

I really appreciate it.

xox
Hexa

00s00goood
Active Poster

Hex

Post by 00s00goood » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:52 pm

Dear Hex,

I have seen less then fair players in singles two people will come and help each other; feed each other what cards they need to either make bid, set or bag the other two players. Allowing them to take 1st and second place I love winning those games..makes me hone up my skills.(lol)

However, what you said and did is far from TT maybe someone was having a bad hair day or just a bad day period.

With Yahoo,Msn,Aim, and other chat programs I am sure TT would be the most antiquated form used by those who would engage in TT if they did not have use of a chat program which we all have use of. (I think we all use some form if a chat program to talk not cheat)

Did that make sense what i just said? I must be sleepy time for bed.....gl Hex
Just here to play!

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:36 pm

Indeed, I understand what ya said

thank you:)

xox
Hexa

HW Angel
Active Poster

Post by HW Angel » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:47 am

HEXA I certainly don't think you intended that statment as TT.

I have been called to a table often to determine TT also, and I go by the rule of "absolutely no talk about the hand in play".

Often players feel stating the obvious of "they need one bag" is not TT because the bag count and score is posted. However one player may be going for a set and another going for bagging. Bringing attention to the bag count tells others what the strategy will be and could certainly affect the outcome of the hand in play and ultimately the outcome of the game.

In my opinion, stating a player likes one bids doesn't meet the criteria of talking about the hand in play, however I can see Omni's point. If a player is a real stickler for the rules, they could perceive the statement as one that might affect the outcome of the game.

Rattatoulee

A waste of time

Post by Rattatoulee » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:47 pm

Here is a topic which has been debated and discussed for years and years. Here is my two cents. There is no way to stop table talk, other than the most blatant comments. It is sad that some players just cannot resist the urge to talk about the score, bags, bids and so forth. Or they want to pick the hand to death and jump on their partner for their partner's bad plays. Then we have the subject of cheating. Listen, if a partnership wants to win at all costs, then table talk will be the least of our concerns.
It's only a game, boys and girls. Most of us are honest players, who play for fun. If we lose, it's not like they will take our house or march us off to the gallows! We shrug off the loss without complaining about how we got jobbed.
We then play another game and let the chips fall where they may. There is no sense in getting into a hissy fight with an opponents were are upset with.
Finish out the game, and move on. Let them relish in their victory.
Only a game.

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Re: A waste of time

Post by Primal Instincts » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:03 pm

Rattatoulee wrote: Only a game.
Indeed........... 8)
The Wilderness has answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:03 pm

That for certain is the key and totally agree.... It's a Game, play fair, have fun, move on........

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!