Why does 2nd place benefit and 3rd place lose less ranking?

dadiomac
Active Poster

Why does 2nd place benefit and 3rd place lose less ranking?

Post by dadiomac » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:26 am

Why should anyone benefit when finishing 2nd place? Why should 3rd place be any different than last? HELLO.....There is only one winner in a game of hearts! Low man games would be so much easier to find if 2nd 3rd and last place were treated the same! To me it is simple common sense to have 2nd, 3rd, and last the same to keep people in check to play the game of hearts the way it was meant to be played! Anyone can say whatever they want and I will never understand why it is the way it is. :( [/b]

NatashaX
Active Poster

Post by NatashaX » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:00 am

Since we are just giving our personal opinions here...... Of course 1st place should get the most points. But I think second deserves more than last. Like Gold, Silver and Bronze. I think the rating system is fine & fair. Except I belive there should be a bigger penalty for quitters. They shouldnt be able to dump one game and jump right in another. (I am not talking about disconects) Something should prevent them from playing another game until the one they left is over if they are still in the lobby trying to enter another game, maybe a five minute penalty?
Just my opinion :) I know we all have diffrent ones :wink:

The Messenger

i agree with dadio

Post by The Messenger » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:54 am

as i recently posted, the fact that 2nd gains rank alters the way people play in the example i cited if the scores are 30 75 85 99 3rd and last will aim for 2nd (to try to gain rank) while 2nd aims for high (to end the game so that he gains rank) so folks, the only person no one is aiming for IS LOW!! THIS IS THE MOST OBVIOUS FLAW I'VE EVER SEEN!! WHO DO WE HAVE TO CONTACT TO FIX THIS PROBLEM??

dadiomac
Active Poster

Re: i agree with dadio

Post by dadiomac » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:20 pm

[quote= "the fact that 2nd gains rank alters the way people play"

Exactly! If 2nd, 3rd, and 4th were the same then players would genuinely try harder to play to hit low and there would be a lot less arguing and disappointment. Is there anywhere else in the world of hearts where points are awarded for 2nd?

The Messenger

fixing the problem

Post by The Messenger » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:12 pm

i e-mailed silver creek and explained why they should change the rating system. i cited the same example i gave you in the priviouse post. i think with enough presure they will change it just get everyone you know to write them and we'll see what happens

NatashaX
Active Poster

Post by NatashaX » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:20 pm

Well Silvercreek has made it quite far without our imput, even though I know they LOVE :lol: hearing it. They created it & it is sucsessful & everyone is still here :) And not everyone plays the same way, you have dumpers, lowman players & on & on & on. Everyone is diffrent & thinks they are right. Leave Silvercreak the way it is ......its still running strong :)

The Messenger

i know

Post by The Messenger » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:45 pm

thats why i quit on that site today. they added all this stuff like fooms and avitars and deck makers but they overlooked what was most important THE STRUCTURE OF THE GAME. there is only one winner in hearts but i guess they didnt know that (sarcastic). they made a cool version but they left out the most important part. and as for your comment about the types of players, i know. you will allways have people like that. the problem isn't the players its the ratings like i said before. :(

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:36 pm

I do believe one answer to the problem is to make it an option/room (FYI - a lot of the leagues play this way exactly... win you move on lose you take a seat) and call it "lowman hearts". It would be rated with only one winner. The rest share equally in the points lost.

This way you can set a game for lowman play or regular being what it is now. You get happy people on both sides.

JUST DUST

PS - I do like a good game of lowman, but not willing to take from those that like the rating system as it is. I learned to adapt as in using "SPOT" and/or JOD and/or "NO SHOOT". All these are options I never played before coming to this site, but I liked the options to play hearts in various ways and have learned how to play them according to the players sitting at the table.

PS - In the beginning here there was mostly 'SHOOT" games only, reg and Spot. Most players played lowman and used the JOD (if selected) "WISELY" to extend thier chances of winning by keeping another in the game long enough to take advantage at the end of the game. There were several of us that played almost every night (Including Mel and a few others that are now departed) and the games went to the last hand with everyone a chance to win. So I adapt....... now..... it works just fine, not as friendly but still makes for entertainment :shock:
Last edited by Dust In The Wind on Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

CalculatedRisk
Guide

Post by CalculatedRisk » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:44 pm

Well it looks like we have a couple of varying opinions here, and I have my own as well, BUT the rankings need to be determined by what is good for the MASSES not by what a few of us think.

There have been several suggestions in the past, the winner gets 15 while everyone else loses 5, ie, or as ya'll suggest first gets the points while everyone else loses points. <can you imagine how fun that would be for a new to hearts player just learning, losing points EVERY game they play>.

Believe me no one just "threw" a rankings system together here, it was researched and thought out, and I have never known admin not to listen to suggestions from people who offer VIABLE solutions, and I stress that, meaning it's good for the majority of players. Jonas has always been willing to listen to us as players, but you can't base a major change on something that helps the few, it needs to help the many. You can now set for +/- 50 100 200, etc, and that was something that we had asked for many times in the past...it has helped my game not hurt it.

I'm also thinking a low man room might be a good thing for us, I've had several ask me about this in the past little bit...Maybe admin would consider a move like that.

I hope that Messenger will stay with for a while and join me in a game of hearts in the near future. :D :)
Last edited by CalculatedRisk on Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:49 pm

Yes CR is right a lot of changes have happened due to player input, options, rights, etc.... They do listen, just sometimes we have to jump higher to be seen......

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:56 pm

Ok speaking of jumping higher etc. LOL PLease don't do a letter writing or email mass mailing it will only tick them off cause they have more important things to do in there.

If you want to you can make a poll so they can see the numbers that can be done right here on the discussion board. And I KNOW for a fact admin reads the discussion board, they don't always respond but they read it.

So poll or posts cool emails or letters uncool............:) thank you

I am woman I am strong

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:08 pm

this is why:

the reason this happens is basically like so:

if the winner of the game SHOULD have lost to you, then you CAN lose more rank that say a 3rd place finisher that you SHOULD have won against.

see rank calculations are based on weather you should win or not. If you are a 1700 pnt player, then in a perfect world you should win against a 1500 pnt player.

So if you get 2nd place, you receive a loss against 1st, and a win against 3rd and 4th.

Now heres were the rub comes in. what SHOULD you have gotten. If you have a stellar rating and some of the others had not very good ratings, you may get some unexpected results in score.

NatashaX
Active Poster

Post by NatashaX » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:24 am

:lol: Ya.......what he said :lol: :wink:

dadiomac
Active Poster

Post by dadiomac » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:02 am

I do appreciate the fact that we can now set for +/- 50 100 200 however I feel that there is room for other improvements. Just my opinion!

Since we are just giving our personal opinions here I will give mine once again….

I love Hardwood Hearts because:

1) The graphics are superior above any card game website.
2) There are a lot of great people that play here.
3) The 1x1 tournaments are the best!
4) Spot hearts and partnership hearts is a great out for those that do not wish to play traditional hearts.

I dislike hardwood hearts because:

1) It is frustrating to play with so many people that are eager to dump on the high man so they can finish 2nd or 3rd place. This is not the way that hearts was meant to be played! 2nd place just doesn’t matter! A true classic game of hearts means you play to hit low and that is it plain and simple! 2nd place is the same as last place! To me this would be the best way to keep people from dumping on the high man so they can finish 2nd or 3rd.

If you have a “stellar ratingâ€

dadiomac
Active Poster

Poll

Post by dadiomac » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:11 am

When I first started this topic I included a poll and for some reason it didn't work. I also tried to start a new post along with a poll in regards to this subject and again the poll didnt show up with the post. Has the option for the poll been disabled?