I'm confused

Aurielle

I'm confused

Post by Aurielle » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:06 am

Hello all,

I'm new to Hardwood Hearts, I'm currently running the trial version but I'm unsure whether I will buy or not yet.

The main reason for this is being abused, or laughed at or voted to be kicked off for reasons I simply don't understand.

Since starting 3 days ago I have been told so many do's and dont's and if I follow all of these I can't seem to win.

The first one I was taught was not to lead spades if I passed the Queen - but sometimes I just don't have a choice - If heart's aren't broken and my diamonds and clubs are all high the best thing for me to do is lead a spade so I don't get the Queen (that's the whole point of the game, right?), so then I get accused of PNP. I always lead a low spade if I have to lead spades so someone can take the trick and lead so I don't have to lead spades again, but I still get accused of PNP so it's a lose-lose situation - I either lead with a high card and get the Queen or lead a low spade and get yelled at.

I've been yelled at for 'dumping' the Queen 'too early' - but to me the Queen is like a hot potato in my hands, I want rid, and want rid QUICK before I get stuck with it - what's so wrong about that?

I've been told not to lead diamonds unless I have the Jack - so again, lose lose situation I can't lead spades, I can't lead diamonds, my clubs are all high, hearts aren't broken - what am I supposed to do?!

I just can't seem to make ANY move without ticking someone off and I'm taking a lot of losses by trying to do the right thing and follow these 'rules' and just end up losing and being laughed at anyway.
I was close to losing but had some good cards and tried to claw my way up to 3rd place for the personal challenge and to make it a little more competitive, and someone laughed and called me an idiot because I was 'fighting so hard for 3rd place'

It's completely shot my confidence and now I find myself just sitting in the lobby too scared to play a game because of the treatment I'm getting and the sheer and utter confusion I feel because I can't seem to make a single move thats 'right'.

I admit I'm new to online hearts and will take any advice on board (which I have been doing in game and I'm STILL managing to tick people off).

What am I doing so wrong, I genuinely don't understand!

Siemens Sl45
Active Poster

Re: I'm confused

Post by Siemens Sl45 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:35 am

Hi

And may I say a big welcome to hearts. Well all I can really say is ignore the other players ok. Play your cards the way YOU want to play them dont let the other players tell you which cards to play ok.

This can be a trying game at times pls bare with it as it is well worth it ok there are alot of great players here. And if you are sitting in the lobby if you see a players name in blue they are guides ok ask one a question and they will guide you the right way ok.

But please dont give up now keep playing and enjoy yourself ok dont let others ruin it for you ok. I am also known as alias 44 if ya see me pls join and introduce yaself it would be nice to play hearts with you. 8)
Men are superior to all, no exceptions

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:08 am

Hello and Welcome Aurielle,

You will find in this forum lots of posts on how to play better, HOWEVER, they are your cards and to play them as you see fit and to the best of your ability will get my vote anytime. Yes Guides are blue and please do ask, even if you don't see one in the lobby, for help for an abusive player or questions about the game.

By the way if you see my name it will be blue, I have posted many times in here about the game and how to enhance your play, look around.

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:23 pm

Well I was going to tell you to turn the player chat off until you are comfortable with online hearts, as there are a lot of people who like to comment on every play that a person makes. But for the life of me I cannot find that option now. Maybe Dust can help with that.

P.S. There are just as many nice people out there that won't curse you for how you play so just ignore the rude ones and play. I was rather thin skinned when I started out at this but learned to ignore or report the really nasty players.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:02 pm

Yes it's under options and turn chat bubbles off, you can also turn fooms off.

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

sandbar
Guide

Post by sandbar » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:32 am

Welcome Aurielle, please dont give up yet, I'm Sandbar (Sandy) a Hearts guide same as Dust although he frequents other games as well) not all players are like that, and, like Dust has said, there have been so many helpful hints on how to play the game in this forum.
Each player has their own strategy but shouldn't try to force how they play on to anyone else, it is up to you to decide how you wish to play.
You must play the way that is best for your hand, and believe me I still play wrong cards, :|
Don't let those players worry you, we have a lot of really nice players who would be only too willing to help a newby. and if I see you in lobby I will give a coooeeee, I'm from Australia so may be on at different time than you.
Stick at it!!

Senality Rains
Guide

Post by Senality Rains » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:44 am

Hi :)

Welcome to the world of confusion. Genesis springs to mind

Some of us have been around on hw for a lot of years, myself over 7.
We have all experienced what u are experiencing, Most of it is is just opinion without any real nasty intention's , however there is obviously an element that will try and be "forceful" with their opinion on how the game should be played.

To those people i would repeat again :::: Show me a person born with experience and i will show you a person that will die Naïve
You have to make mistakes to become experienced.

To you i would say this:: if they have got you confused , they have you where they want you.
There is a certain element that will tell you , you should not lead spades if you passed the Q and that you should hit low , and you should cover your pass, THEN they will do ALL the things that they said you should not!.

Yeah lol there is an element, then it becomes mind game's

This is what you should do by my experience:

Play ur hand how best you THINK it should be played, of course you will make mistakes thats what it is all about. If someone comments, that you should not of done this or that. Laugh it off, (smile at them, i find that one confuses them nicely)

When you have been playing a while and you have made ur mistakes , IN TIME , you will slowly learn what is right and wrong in certain situations. (and i say certain situations, cos i play horses for courses) what ever suites my hand, i do , no matter who it upsets. As it should be, its a card game and NO ONE will lose their life if i pass the q and then lead spades. (and believe me if it suits my hand i will).

I must stress that it may seem that there are more than a "few" minority that seem not so nice. But let me let you into a little secret, these are very few compared to the real nice people, it may seem that there are more cos they have a lot of names and change and therefore when something happens , it looks like another bad person has appeared when in actual fact its the same person just a different nic.

IF you want to buy the game (and i can assure you , there is NO better spade's heart's or Euchre game anywhere on the net.) then buy it and lets see ya in the rooms :)

I look forward to you challenging me in my rooms and as long as i have seen that you did the best you could FOR YOUR OWN HAND and you win. I will say ......good game and nice win. :)

Oh and One more thing. (there is always one more thing with me) You mention rules???? If you can not do it the game will not let you:ie breaking hearts if you do not have a club on first trick.
Thats a very important thing to remember, Are they Hearts rule's ? or are the made up tailored rules designed for the person telling you these "made up rules" to give him/her an advantage. DO NOT listen to it :)

Aurielle

Post by Aurielle » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:41 pm

Hello again,

Thank you all so much for your posts, you have encouraged me and made me feel better about things.

Just a couple of questions if that's okay..

Can I ask what htting low is and covering my pass...those ones have me stumped I'm ashamed to say :oops:

Thank you all again!

Bg Trnr
Active Poster

Post by Bg Trnr » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:10 pm

Hello & welcome to Hardwood Hearts Aurielle
My only thoughts on this are to restate what the others have said :Play YOUR cards to the best of your ability. /Try to put as many points as possiable on low each hand.( unless you happen to be low ,then I try to unload on whoever is closest to my low score).
One other thing that I have found a wonderful tool. / When in the lobby on the left side of the screen, second from the top of the list is "Lobby Menu".When you click on Lobby Menu you get two options 1)File Report , 2)HELP this is the option you want there is a great deal of useful information on how to play there.
(The File Report option is where you can report players who cross the line in a game swearing ,name calling ,harassment,stalking & a whole host of other nasty things.It is best to file the report from the game because this way admin.is able to reveiw all the chat for the whole game & it leaves a "paper trail" :? errr cyber trail :D on the said offender.)Calling a guide into your room to read the chat works well to, but guides are not always availbale.
Wishing you the very best of luck & skill in your games....... Bg Trnr

PS. I am also a guide in hearts
:"You cannot add to the peace & goodwill of the world if you fail to create an atmosphere of harmony and love right where you live and work".
Thomas Dreier

Senality Rains
Guide

Post by Senality Rains » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:03 pm

Hi Again, glad you feel better , and if you do not ask you do not find out so well done.

Hitting low is making sure that u either hit *queen of spades* (the main pts) or if u do not have it , lead a suit which would result in low score getting it.

Hitting low is a Strategy NOT a rule *some will try and have u believe that u should hit low under any circumstances.
I disagree,,,,,If you are not winning u should by all means try and claw ur way back and hitting low will help.
IF you are winning why would you not want hi score suffering to continue? If you are serious about winning , and you are well in the lead , then surely the strategy must be to end the game as soon as poss. And hit hi.

So hitting low is a strategy not a rule.

Covering ur pass lol (this is a good one all will become apparent)

A lot of people think that covering ur pass has to involve you passing a heart ...again this is not true.
To cover ur pass you will pass a card (of any suite) lower than another of the same suite in your hand so that if the need be , later you can take back that card with a heart to stop the person u passed to mooning.
Now it is easier to cover ur pass with a heart but as u gain experience you will learn to do it with ANY suite.

I hope this helps
all the best. :)

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:01 pm

The only REAL rules are the ones that the program won't let you do like as pointed out play a card of another suit when you have a card of the suit led OR not being able to lead hearts until you are out of all other suits or hearts have been broken. Those are the ONLY rules of the game. The rest are made up.

There are unwritten rules of ethics and each player it seems has a version of their own and change it when it suits them best, sort of like when you were a kid and made rules as the game progressed.......

There are also tactics and tactics are not rules but logical ways of playing to better YOUR chances of winning and each player is trying to win, so for 2nd place to say you should be hitting lowman when they are sitting 2 points from being lowman is to THEIR advantage..... and when they ARE LOWMAN to say that you P&P (pass & pulled) me is crazy since the object of the game is to get lowman and better your position in the game... I would P&P lowman any day and would expect the same from ANY opt. and plan for getting the queen on the pass.

So Play your hand with they best of your ability and knowledge of the game, try to learn ther tactics to make you a better player and most of all.... HAVE FUN!!!

JUST DUST

Senality Rains
Guide

Post by Senality Rains » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:10 pm

I totally agree

Bg Trnr
Active Poster

Post by Bg Trnr » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:08 pm

Ayup /That was very well put Dust ....for an orge. LOL J/K The grogs on me. :D
:"You cannot add to the peace & goodwill of the world if you fail to create an atmosphere of harmony and love right where you live and work".
Thomas Dreier

Sassy Katy
Grand Master

Post by Sassy Katy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:48 am

I agree with Dust on this and I do completely sympathize with you Aurielle. My strong game is spades and I have always played hearts too, often to strengthen my spades skills. When I arrived in hw hearts. all the things you are hearing, I was hearing and wondering what the heck.

My perspective when I arrived was I am here to duck all their bombs and fire one of my bombs when possible (hearts or queen of spades) and win the game. I quickly became aware that in hw there is ettiqutte about trying to properly place the bombs in strategic seats which effects 2nd, 3rd, 4th. Oh and the vicious accusations of PNP! PNP is a strategy. I don't use it often, but depending on the hand, I will use PNP and fine, call me a PNPer, I am for that hand if that is the best strategy for my cards. If it works, I am considered evil, but oh well, I accomplished my card goal for that hand and it isn't cheating. :wink:

In order to keep peace, I have become much more conscientious about where I aim my bombs now, however, with that comes the fact, I get stuck with their bombs more often and win less. I do think it makes me a better player, with more control and it certainly helps keep the peace with the other players.

Probably the most important thing you have heard people say is to cover your pass and that is true. Typically it is your hearts, but not always as Dust says. For example, if you have the queen and jack of hearts and lower, don't pass the queen of hearts, pass the jack of hearts. As the hand plays out, if it appears one of the players is going for moon, you may be the only player of the other two that has the ability to stop the moon attempt by taking one of the tricks with the queen of hearts. Yes you gain points, but you stop the moon which will cost all three of you many more points or possibly end the game.

Hang in there, it really is a fun game.

Have you tried partnership hearts? Talk about a challenge! HW is the first site I had heard about partnership hearts. That was a really hard concept for a spades player who's mindset is hearts is a game where everybody bids nil and ducks everything. How on earth will I play with a partner and both bid nil? But there are great strategies and I have a lot of fun with that version too, now that I understand it just a bit thanks to Senality Rains AKA MoD who was kind enough to teach me the partnership version.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:02 pm

My whole family are card players and my Dad thought us young Gin, Gin Rummy, Cribbage, Pinocle, Hearts, Poker, Spades, Cannasta... Maijong, Rook, Tonk, Etc.

Rules of Cards...

1) There is luck of the deal, I sit on my horseshoe....
2) There is the knowledge of the game your playing, the more you know about the strategy the better you will play
3) There is the deception or the Bluff of cards you hold, the better the deception/bluff the better the odds of winning
4) There is the skill of those that you are playing, less skill, better bad cards help you, the better your bluffs go, the better your chances of winning
5) There is the mistakes, we all make them good, bad or otherwise, sometimes we get away with them sometimes we pay.
6) There is the recognition of the deception/bluff from the others sitting at your table.... catch'em with their pants down.

Bottom line is you have cards in your hand that are dealt to you and from your knowledge/skill of the game you decide how you will be playing this hand and your cards knowing that you may have to change your tactics at a flip of a card. If you use the knowledge and skill to the best of your ability... there is NO ONE that should complain or cry about your decission nor should you have to explain your actions.

If anything, a player may ask another if they would accept some help in being a better player through some one-on-one training NOT "you are a *^)%)&%^_% and should (*^^_$%)#%_(*^@_(%_" In a real card game people have been shot for less.....

JUST DUST

PS - Nope never shot anyone over a card GAME!!!